For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

just need to talk... again

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 8922
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: just need to talk... again   Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:04 pm

Good stuff guys... good points.  
I think it's a state of mind that a man finds his purpose in his career (and a bit of society's indoctrination), not so much that it's the way it actually is.  When I was in my early 20s, I found 100% purpose in my Lord and Savior Jesus. I studied Scripture and doctrinal books anywhere from 2 hours to 6 hours a day (I was single, alone and had nothing but time). I loved having all that time to devote to Him in prayer and sharing my faith.
After I married and began raising kids and paying a mortgage, my priorities changed and I had to spread my time thinly amongst these people God put in my life as well as my time with the Lord. 
I remained faithful to my wife and kids, but my time with God diminished to occasional reading (not much in-depth study anymore) and our home Bible study/fellowship.

So in a nutshell, my "purpose" in life went from 100% God, to equal time for my family, then having a mortgage and bills for my family, my career became most important. 
I think now with the mortgage paid, minimal bills in my life, an empty nest, and now disability/retirement -now things are going to settle back to where they were (I hope!) Where I'm able to spend hours a day in the Word and studying and praying.. we'll see.  THAT is where I feel my most satisfied in life... Spending my time in God's Word gives me a sense of contentment, fulfillment and purpose.

Perhaps this is why this has happened in my life.... who knows ?
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

Number of posts : 3371
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: just need to talk... again   Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:25 pm

I think you're onto something there G/F. I recently became convicted about how much of my identity I place in my job... like it's all that important.

Sidebar - my dad kinda raised me to think that some jobs are important and some aren't. Schoolteachers, police officers, pastors, and generally people who need a college degree have "important" jobs. So I went to business school with plans to enter the corparate world (and ended up in mental health - ha!).

On the other hand, folks who drive trucks or work in manufacturing have less important jobs.

But recently I realized that as long as it paid enough, I would rather work manual labor on the floor at Anheuser Busch or drive a UPS truck than be a manager anymore.

Okay, confession over. Back to the conversation.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: just need to talk... again   Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:45 pm

Ishmael81 I am totally in agreement !  I've always thought that every job is an important job -period ! If there's a need and you're there to fulfill that need -the job is important and you're important. Whether it's 8 years of college to become an Occupational Therapist (my daughter) or a 9th grade drop-out who's a genius under the hood of any vehicle (my Dad). Every job is important imo.

I've painted cars at a dealership, sold art supplies, janitor for a department store, detailer at a car lot, meat dept journeyman, bagged groceries, phlebotomy at a plasma pheresis center, and pharmacy technician....

I see each job as equally important. Though some "seem" more than others, they're all a service to people to help them and make their lives better.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: just need to talk... again   Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:50 am

Oh man... I have woke up this morning with a serious reminder of why I'm going on disability... I guess I slept wrong or something, cuz I am a mess. Almost couldn't get ready in time to leave for work I'm in so much pain.  
Today is an example of how good God is for paving the way for me. Everything is coming together perfectly for me... and it's days like this that remind me how badly I need to be on permanent disability.
Ugh...
Back to top Go down
kerrick

Number of posts : 2366
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: just need to talk... again   Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:43 am

Yikes.  I've been praying for you my friend.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Number of posts : 18269
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: just need to talk... again   Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:03 pm

Praying for you brother, I can't imagine the struggle you go through every day.  Really praying that your disability will come through in short order so you don't have the added stress of needing to perform at work everyday.

PostSubject: Re: just need to talk... again   Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:18 pm

Thanks guys. 
Didn't make it today-had to cut out and am now at home, laying on the floor watching reruns of Chuck.

Sure want to turn this whole portion of my life into something good/positive... I'm sure God can use a broken vessel :-)
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: just need to talk... again   Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:34 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Thanks guys. 
Didn't make it today-had to cut out and am now at home, laying on the floor watching reruns of Chuck.

Sure want to turn this whole portion of my life into something good/positive... I'm sure God can use a broken vessel :-)

Maybe you can use this time to put that talent of yours to work and make some of your own gospel tracks!

PostSubject: Re: just need to talk... again   Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:36 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Thanks guys. 

Did you ever watch Lost, my wife is making me watch that with her on Netflix and it is really strange and compelling....and there are like 7000 episodes (ok maybe not quite that many).

PostSubject: Re: just need to talk... again   Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:38 pm

Heard of it but never seen it yet... thanks for the recommend !

I've been watching "The 100".  Rather interesting storyline - it's been over a 100 years after earth's nuclear war, surviving mankind has lived on a space station all those years, but the station is at it's end. So they sent 100 of prisoners to earth as guinea pigs... now it's kinda like a Lord of the Flies deal....

interesting, but a bit "dark"
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

Number of posts : 1613
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: just need to talk... again   Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:58 am

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Thanks guys. 

I'm pretty much convinced God only uses broken vessels.

Man I miss Chuck.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: just need to talk... again   Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:32 am

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Heard of it but never seen it yet... thanks for the recommend !

I've been watching "The 100".  Rather interesting storyline - it's been over a 100 years after earth's nuclear war, surviving mankind has lived on a space station all those years, but the station is at it's end. So they sent 100 of prisoners to earth as guinea pigs... now it's kinda like a Lord of the Flies deal....

interesting, but a bit "dark"
Decent enough show.  Wonder if Netflix will get the second season.  Hope you are feeling a bit better today.

PostSubject: Re: just need to talk... again   Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:08 pm

Doing a bit better today -thanks a lot. 
It's a bummer balancing act for me- have bad days and worse days. On the bad days, I take a specific amount of meds to remain stable thru the day and am able to function.
On my worse days (like yesterday and a little today), I hafta take a bit more RX and though it helps the pain, it doesn't help me to be more productive... rather the opposite. 
But yes, I'm a bit better today and greatly appreciate ya'alls  prayers and concerns.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: just need to talk... again   

Back to top Go down

just need to talk... again
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2