Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A "legal" quandry -- KISS & PETRA ???

Go down 
+2
BearDad
pastorbrad
6 posters
AuthorMessage
pastorbrad

pastorbrad

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2015-06-15

A "legal" quandry -- KISS & PETRA ??? Empty
PostSubject: A "legal" quandry -- KISS & PETRA ???   A "legal" quandry -- KISS & PETRA ??? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2015 1:33 pm

Okay---I'm calling on the great minds here at CHM to help me with this one...

As I work in my project, "Covers"... I'm learning a lot about copyright, and what licenses allow you to do in covering a song.
A "mechanical license" allows you to record a cover of the song---the style can change--but the melody and lyrics remain the property of the song writer/publishers and those cannot be changed without express permission.

So----When KISS remade "God gave rock and roll to you."  Does anyone know the story here...?  I know Kiss stripped away the evangelistic lyrics -- and replaced them with their own.

Did Petra give permission on this or what...?

I'm just curious because I just listened to Petra's version and it's a clear Call to rely on Christ.

Thank for you thoughts---in advance!
Back to top Go down
BearDad

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

PostSubject: Re: A "legal" quandry -- KISS & PETRA ???   A "legal" quandry -- KISS & PETRA ??? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2015 1:55 pm

According to that bastion of reliable information Rolling Eyes, Wikipedia, Argent originally recorded the song in 1971 and put it on their 1973 release In Deep. The same article states that Petra altered the lyrics, then KISS altered them a bit more for there cover, which was called "God Gave Rock and Roll To You II". Perhaps by renaming it KISS avoided the "cover" laws? In any case, unless the copyright laws give the covering artist some type of rights, i'd bet Petra's opinions and concerns had no bearing on what KISS did since Argent wrote the song. If anything, KISS had to get permission from Argent same as KISS did. JMO, as I know nothing about it. Knowing the way the law works, it won't be anything that makes sense.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5505
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: A "legal" quandry -- KISS & PETRA ???   A "legal" quandry -- KISS & PETRA ??? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2015 2:19 pm

There's also a rumor that since Petra's "Seen And Not Heard" lick is pretty close to a copy of Kiss' "Heaven's On Fire" that they made a deal to use "God Gave Rock and Roll To You".
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23441
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: A "legal" quandry -- KISS & PETRA ???   A "legal" quandry -- KISS & PETRA ??? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2015 8:51 pm

I would say that both bands had to pay the original writers a certain amount of royalties to Argent.  They definitely came out with it first.  It was not an original song by Petra or Kiss.

I would use the lyrics to Petra's verison, PB.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
pastorbrad

pastorbrad

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2015-06-15

PostSubject: Re: A "legal" quandry -- KISS & PETRA ???   A "legal" quandry -- KISS & PETRA ??? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2015 2:36 pm

See... I knew you guys would have the answers!  cheers
Back to top Go down
mr.electric47

mr.electric47

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2015-07-16

PostSubject: Re: A "legal" quandry -- KISS & PETRA ???   A "legal" quandry -- KISS & PETRA ??? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2015 3:10 pm

Xid wrote:
There's also a rumor that since Petra's "Seen And Not Heard" lick is pretty close to a copy of Kiss' "Heaven's On Fire" that they made a deal to use "God Gave Rock and Roll To You".

rumor period.... no truth to it....  Bob Hartman claimed he never heard the Kiss track
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5505
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: A "legal" quandry -- KISS & PETRA ???   A "legal" quandry -- KISS & PETRA ??? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2015 6:58 pm

I always figured it was just a rumor.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Hardkore

Hardkore

Number of posts : 2553
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: A "legal" quandry -- KISS & PETRA ???   A "legal" quandry -- KISS & PETRA ??? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2015 10:17 am

BearDad wrote:
If anything, KISS had to get permission from Argent same as KISS did.

Ummm, scratch

geek
Back to top Go down
BearDad

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

PostSubject: Re: A "legal" quandry -- KISS & PETRA ???   A "legal" quandry -- KISS & PETRA ??? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2015 11:48 am

Hardkore wrote:
BearDad wrote:
If anything, KISS had to get permission from Argent same as KISS did.

Ummm, scratch

geek

Eh!? What's wrong with that Sonny!?

A "legal" quandry -- KISS & PETRA ??? Angry-old-man-smiley-emoticon

lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A "legal" quandry -- KISS & PETRA ???   A "legal" quandry -- KISS & PETRA ??? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A "legal" quandry -- KISS & PETRA ???
Page 1 of 1