For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Ostracized crowds-then and now

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Samson

Number of posts : 619
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Ostracized crowds-then and now   Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:05 am

Many of us remember growing up during the beginnings of Christian rock, and eventually, metal. Many of us remember how a large portion of the church condemned the subculture, referring to it as the devil's music, and all kinds other stuff, which I'm not getting into.

NOW...

I am seeing a lot of the folks from the metal crowds who were shunned at mocked back 25-30 years ago doing the same thing today with a lot of the praise and worship music that has become the staple in churches. (NOTE-I'm not talking about anyone here.) 

It's one thing to not like that kind of music. That's your right. You don't like Chris Tomlin, and I don't care to listen to Impending Doom. No harm there. But the thing that's beginning to grind my gears is that a lot of those ostracized metal fans from the 80's/90's are doing the same thing today, calling out churches and ministries like Ihop, Bethel, and Hillsong as cults and heretics. 

Why must it be this way? At the end of the day, it's MUSIC!! You either like it or you don't. Again, I'm okay with that. I just don't understand why my generation seems to be repeating the same mistakes that our elders did before us.
Back to top Go down
https://gabrielkinson.wordpress.com/
alldatndensum
Admin

Number of posts : 18247
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Ostracized crowds-then and now   Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:51 am

Why do we do it?  Because we are fallen men steeped in sin that are only saved by the grace of God.  Humanity sucks--but God loves us.  Thank you, Lord!

You are right, though.  I've been guilty of it as many of the rest of us here have.  We continually polarize and divide over stupid things, really.  Then, we wonder why lost people aren't beating a path to the church doors to be just like us.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

Number of posts : 18277
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Ostracized crowds-then and now   Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:37 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
You are right, though.  I've been guilty of it as many of the rest of us here have.  We continually polarize and divide over stupid things, really.  Then, we wonder why lost people aren't beating a path to the church doors to be just like us.

Yeah me too, sadly.

Number of posts : 3371

PostSubject: Re: Ostracized crowds-then and now   Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:38 pm

We're religious, as people, and I don't mean about our faith (although sometimes that's true). We think our way is right and others are wrong.

That's why I don't post much in the music part of the forum. I listen to punk and alternative and very little metal. And the metal I do like, is of the more extreme variety. But I don't try to push what I like out there, I just post when it's relevant.

This is also half the reason why I have zero interest in politics anymore.
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

Number of posts : 1616
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Ostracized crowds-then and now   Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:28 am

I don't think it is just a church/Christian thing.  So many people don't seem to be able to just enjoy what they like without diminishing things that are different.  I've done my fair share of Beiber/1D/Taylor Swift bashing, but I listened to 1989 a few weeks ago and it really is a pretty good album.  I mean, it's not something I would buy and listen to, but I'm a 44 year old man, I'm not her audience.  But she is a competent singer, a very talented songwriter, and (as far as I've seen) performs fully clothed.  I think pop music could use a few more Taylor Swifts. 

As someone who truly enjoys both styles of music, I have never quite understood, but thoroughly enjoyed, the animosity between metal and rap fans.  Listen to a metal fan criticize rap.  Listen to a rap fan criticize metal.  They are saying almost the exact same thing!!!  "It doesn't take any talent to do that."  "It is just noise."  "It's what you do if you can't sing."  There are many more similiarities between rap and metal than either group wants to admit.
Back to top Go down
bassdude

Number of posts : 419

PostSubject: Re: Ostracized crowds-then and now   Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:51 pm

I often find myself caught in the middle of this problem, being a long-time metal fan who also plays all this worship music at church, but I have learned things from both ends of the spectrum that serve me well in every music session I play.
No one at church seems to mind that I'm a metal guy when there's a tricky guitar or bass part that we have to figure out, or when there is a high note that needs to be sung with some power behind it...and none of the metal guys seem to mind when I pass on tips I've learned in church about playing with good dynamics or listening to the other band members in order to play tighter.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 8922
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Ostracized crowds-then and now   Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:36 pm

On Facebook I often read people's scathing comments against certain artists or styles of music and just laugh.  I don't feel the need to tell everyone how much I hate so-and-so, and do it with multiple adjectives.  If I don't like a band or artist or style, I just don't post. Simple as that.
Another reason I love it here at CHM. Almost NEVER read that kind of stuff (unless it's Staybrite joking  Razz ). We're all pretty respectful of each other's tastes.

I seem to be a minority in that, I LOVE metal/rock classic rock the most, but also dig most every other style of music including hardcore, rap, modern country, folk, and a ton of other styles.  I can relate to everyone here as I like most of what's posted about... but like ishmael81 I don't post about a lot of bands or styles as they just don't fit the forum. No big deal to me. And if I felt it necessary to post about a band with a different style, I'd post in the Melting Pot.

Besides, I hate arguing or trying to convince someone they need to like or hate something just cuz that's what I like or hate. Makes no sense to me.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Ostracized crowds-then and now   Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:28 pm

I wasn't joking..... Neutral

G/F wrote:
...If I don't like a band or artist or style, I just don't post. Simple as that....

Ha, I didn't think there was a band or style you didn't like!  Laughing

PostSubject: Re: Ostracized crowds-then and now   Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:16 pm

Quote :
I wasn't joking.....

Sorry... I was being silly about previous times when you've made comments that appeared to be serious, but we knew you were joking.. ie like if you said something like "that's why I don't listen to that rock and roll stuff" or similar.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Ostracized crowds-then and now   Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:39 pm

Quote :
G/F wrote:...If I don't like a band or artist or style, I just don't post. Simple as that....Staybrite wrote:
Ha, I didn't think there was a band or style you didn't like! 

Well, if you must know... and you did ask (kind of) -

I cannot stomach Opera, Grindcore, and twangy old-school inbred country music. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Ostracized crowds-then and now   Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:52 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Quote :
I wasn't joking.....

Sorry... I was being silly about previous times when you've made comments that appeared to be serious, but we knew you were joking.. ie like if you said something like "that's why I don't listen to that rock and roll stuff" or similar.

Oh, I was just kidding about not joking.  geek

PostSubject: Re: Ostracized crowds-then and now   Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:36 pm

You sir, are a brat ! lol!
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Ostracized crowds-then and now   Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:14 am

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
You sir, are a brat ! lol!

I've heard that before, I suspect it might be true. ROTFL

Admin

Number of posts : 18247
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Ostracized crowds-then and now   Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:07 am

B.R.A.T.--that is how they used to spell A.D.H.D.  lol!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
rockerVu2

Number of posts : 14729
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Ostracized crowds-then and now   Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:34 am

This is confusing me.
Maybe I have to read it again to understand what you'll mean.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ostracized crowds-then and now   

Back to top Go down

Ostracized crowds-then and now
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: The WORD - Biblical Discussion and Prayer Requests-
Jump to: