Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

So I ask my wife an off the wall question...

Go down 
+5
Xid
bassdude
Staybrite
messiaen77
MikeInFla
9 posters
AuthorMessage
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3111
Registration date : 2012-03-18

So I ask my wife an off the wall question... Empty
PostSubject: So I ask my wife an off the wall question...   So I ask my wife an off the wall question... I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2015 6:33 am

Sometimes I ask my wife off the wall questions. So now I will ask you what I asked her. (Sometimes while driving she might ask "what are you thinking about?" and she will usually get an oddball answer like this one). This is what happened yesterday while driving back from church.

What if the Earth stopped rotating for 3 days? Oceans are controlled by the rotation and tides, but in this scenario they aren't. The only thing affected is night and day. Let's say our side of the Earth stays dark for 3 days, the opposite side light for 3 days. What would happen? Would the other side get so hot people would die? Would our side become so cold that people would freeze? 

Then my wife asked "why 3 days?". And I said "because it sounds survivable. 7 days would probably kill everyone either by heat or cold but I believe most people could survive 3 days on either side of the Earth. Finally, my daughter asked "What about Alaska that has darkness in the winter all the time?". I said that would play no factor, because they are on the edge of light and dark. They don't have complete darkness, only partial.

So now I ask YOU. What would happen to the Earth if the sun only faced one side for 3 days?
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: So I ask my wife an off the wall question...   So I ask my wife an off the wall question... I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2015 8:46 am

Well, I'd say that half the world would get more sleep than the other and there would be changes in temperature, but not to such extremes.  The heat build-up on the lighted side would dissipate somewhat into the dark side through air currents and the oceans.  And if I'm wrong, I've watched enough SyFy to know that should something like this ever happens, we can rest secure knowing that our fates are safe in the hands of the world's most brilliant minds:  Rachael Hunter, Stephen Baldwin, Dean Cain, and James Van Der Beek.  They might even get a hand from Shannon Doherty.
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3111
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: So I ask my wife an off the wall question...   So I ask my wife an off the wall question... I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2015 9:07 am

messiaen77 wrote:
Well, I'd say that half the world would get more sleep than the other and there would be changes in temperature, but not to such extremes.  The heat build-up on the lighted side would dissipate somewhat into the dark side through air currents and the oceans.  And if I'm wrong, I've watched enough SyFy to know that should something like this ever happens, we can rest secure knowing that our fates are safe in the hands of the world's most brilliant minds:  Rachael Hunter, Stephen Baldwin, Dean Cain, and James Van Der Beek.  They might even get a hand from Shannon Doherty.
Oh yeah, very interesting but you left out one, Tara Reid.

I thought of this based on the fact that where we live (Northwest Florida) it gets to be 88 or even 90 during the day this time of year but easily can drop down to 65 at night. That is a huge temperature change overnight. When I wake up in the morning I almost need a jacket but by midday I am sweating like crazy. So if the temp can drop over 20 degrees overnight I wonder how much it would drop over 3 days. 
And I am on board with getting more sleep! Smile
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23373
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: So I ask my wife an off the wall question...   So I ask my wife an off the wall question... I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2015 2:43 pm

According to NASA pretty much everything would be swept away into the atmosphere.

http://image.gsfc.nasa.gov/poetry/ask/q1168.html

bassdude

Number of posts : 614
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: So I ask my wife an off the wall question...   So I ask my wife an off the wall question... I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2015 2:56 pm

According to NASA, climate change will kill us all tomorrow.....so I'm not sure how much trust I put in them these days.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5505
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: So I ask my wife an off the wall question...   So I ask my wife an off the wall question... I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2015 4:18 pm

Would it be a slow, gradual stop or a quick, sudden stop?
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9927
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: So I ask my wife an off the wall question...   So I ask my wife an off the wall question... I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2015 6:51 pm

If it was "sudden" - it's guaranteed to wipe all life off earth immediately.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

PostSubject: Re: So I ask my wife an off the wall question...   So I ask my wife an off the wall question... I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2015 10:14 pm

Or just shift everything about 3600 miles due East.
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: So I ask my wife an off the wall question...   So I ask my wife an off the wall question... I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2015 8:17 am

Remember, the premise is that the only thing affected would be that day/light thing.  So gravity would still be in place.  God's cool like that.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: So I ask my wife an off the wall question...   So I ask my wife an off the wall question... I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2015 10:11 am

messiaen77 wrote:
Remember, the premise is that the only thing affected would be that day/light thing.  So gravity would still be in place.  God's cool like that.

If it was only for 3 days I think we would probably be alright.  People probably wouldn't get enough sleep, but I don't think it would be catastrophic.
If it lasted for a few months I think it would be horrible.  Even if one side of the planet didn't freeze while the other baked...people's sleep cycles would be so horrible it would cause a ton of social and psychological disorders (that would test the ability of society to stay cohesive).

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: So I ask my wife an off the wall question...   So I ask my wife an off the wall question... I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2015 3:36 pm

And the number of selfies on Facebook would skyrocket!!!
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417

PostSubject: Re: So I ask my wife an off the wall question...   So I ask my wife an off the wall question... I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2015 4:33 pm

Okay are we saying only the Earth itself would stop spinning? If it's a gradual stop, probably not much. But if it's a sudden stop, the atmosphere is still moving at the roughly 110 mph speed and the winds would be pretty destructive, I would imagine. Clouds would move quickly, storms would build up then dissipate.

Jeez, it does sound like a SyFy movie...
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23441
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: So I ask my wife an off the wall question...   So I ask my wife an off the wall question... I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2015 8:51 pm

What would happen if the sun only faced one side of the planet for three days?  A lot of business owners selling time in tanning beds would go under!

lol!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Xid

Xid

PostSubject: Re: So I ask my wife an off the wall question...   So I ask my wife an off the wall question... I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2015 9:13 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
What would happen if the sun only faced one side of the planet for three days?  A lot of business owners selling time in tanning beds would go under!

lol!
But on the dark side of the Earth tanning time would be at a premium.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: So I ask my wife an off the wall question...   So I ask my wife an off the wall question... I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 10:57 am

alldatndensum wrote:

lol!

Yes but sales for the "black-out curtain" manufacturers would be booming!

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417

PostSubject: Re: So I ask my wife an off the wall question...   So I ask my wife an off the wall question... I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 11:16 am

Staybrite wrote:
alldatndensum wrote:

lol!

Yes but sales for the "black-out curtain" manufacturers would be booming!

And then on the fourth day when the Earth starting rotating again, the customer service desks at WalMart, JCPenney, etc. would be crowded with people returning them.
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: So I ask my wife an off the wall question...   So I ask my wife an off the wall question... I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2015 2:58 pm

Meet you on the dark side of the earth . . . yeah, doesn't quite have the same ring to it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So I ask my wife an off the wall question...   So I ask my wife an off the wall question... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So I ask my wife an off the wall question...
Page 1 of 1