Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

I'm having an existential crisis...

Go down 
+5
alldatndensum
Staybrite
Xid
Through The Dark Radio
ishmael81
9 posters
AuthorMessage
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

I'm having an existential crisis... Empty
PostSubject: I'm having an existential crisis...   I'm having an existential crisis... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2015 10:56 am

Okay, maybe not really.

But I am struggling with something a little weird.

Recently, some things that I love - certain books, some of the music I've loved for years - just hasn't appealed to me. It's like I'm suffering depression but I'm not depressed.

Has anyone else had this happen?
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: I'm having an existential crisis...   I'm having an existential crisis... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2015 11:17 am

Yes, I've had this happen before and I wasn't depressed either.  But after a while, those things began to appeal to me again.  So fear not.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5516
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: I'm having an existential crisis...   I'm having an existential crisis... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2015 11:34 am

Sometimes it's a growing process and you move away from those things.  I used to game quite a bit and loved it.  Now, the appeal is gone.  It started waning and got to the point where I haven't played any involved games in several years.  The only game I play online these days is Chess.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23421
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: I'm having an existential crisis...   I'm having an existential crisis... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2015 2:30 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
Okay, maybe not really.

But I am struggling with something a little weird.

Recently, some things that I love - certain books, some of the music I've loved for years - just hasn't appealed to me. It's like I'm suffering depression but I'm not depressed.

Has anyone else had this happen?

This happened to me with an author.  I used to love Robert Heinlien and read nearly all of his works.  I had one of the last books he had written in hardback and held onto it for years without reading it (because he was long dead and wouldn't be writing anymore).  I recently read it here about a year ago and did not enjoy it at all.  I went back and reread two more of his books and for the most part found that I didn't really care for them that much either.

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: I'm having an existential crisis...   I'm having an existential crisis... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2015 3:19 pm

That's about where I am Staybrite. It's mainly music. There's about 5 or 6 bands that I used to love and now when I hear them (I listen on shuffle a lot) I'm just bored with them.

The issue is I don't know if I should keep the discs or what. I'd hate to trade off a bunch of stuff and want it again in 2 years.
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: I'm having an existential crisis...   I'm having an existential crisis... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2015 4:25 pm

You can give those CDs to me for . . . uh, safe keeping . . . yeah, safe keeping  Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23467
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: I'm having an existential crisis...   I'm having an existential crisis... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2015 8:53 pm

I've felt that way for over a year now.  I just don't seem to "need" metal so much now.  I've really taken a liking to blues and have enjoyed discovering some new artists in the Christian scene and rediscovering a few secular artists as well like Stevie Ray and ZZ Top.  In the cigar box guitar realm, most artists are blues in nature, so I have been listening to alot of CBG artists as well.  I still like my metal, but I just don't feel as drawn to it as I once was.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: I'm having an existential crisis...   I'm having an existential crisis... I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2015 1:00 pm

Life moves in seasons.  Sometimes our soul/spirit/mind needs something different than others.  I'm coming out of a season where all I wanted to listen to was stuff like The Civil Wars and outlaw country.  Now I'm in an extreme metal/goth/darkwave phase.  I'd ride it out and see where it takes you.  Trust me, I'm a doctor.  Ok, maybe not THAT kind of doctor, but it's still true.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23421
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: I'm having an existential crisis...   I'm having an existential crisis... I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2015 2:56 pm

messiaen77 wrote:
Life moves in seasons.  Sometimes our soul/spirit/mind needs something different than others.  I'm coming out of a season where all I wanted to listen to was stuff like The Civil Wars and outlaw country.  Now I'm in an extreme metal/goth/darkwave phase.  I'd ride it out and see where it takes you.  Trust me, I'm a doctor.  Ok, maybe not THAT kind of doctor, but it's still true.

I see what you did there.....now stop it!  lol!

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9954
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: I'm having an existential crisis...   I'm having an existential crisis... I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2015 5:12 pm

I go through phases myself... unfortunately mine IS linked to clinical depression.  Sometimes I think that's why my musical tastes are very eclectic -multiple mood swings call for multiple styles of music... then I have some really low points when I cannot even bring myself to listen to anything but silence.

I always ride the "swings" out and eventually I find my way back to the desire to spin tunes again.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23467
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: I'm having an existential crisis...   I'm having an existential crisis... I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2015 6:01 am

Quote :
then I have some really low points when I cannot even bring myself to listen to anything but silence.

Sometimes after a particularly loud and chaotic day in our special needs classroom, I experience sensory overload.  You feel like you're in a fog and every little noise sets you off.  On those days, I turn the radio off and just drive in silence.  Sometimes, I have to sit in silence for a while when I get home just to not become grouchy for literally no reason.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: I'm having an existential crisis...   I'm having an existential crisis... I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2015 8:36 pm

Good point G/F. At least once a week - usually more like 3 - I listen to a podcast on the way to and from work. It helps.
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: I'm having an existential crisis...   I'm having an existential crisis... I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 6:01 pm

There was a time when I was huge on thrash. Now, I hardly listen to any. I'm sure I'll soon be bummed out on Rush, The Police, elim Hall, and all the other bands I spin these days.
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3117
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: I'm having an existential crisis...   I'm having an existential crisis... I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 5:47 am

Mine comes in seasons. For example, now that cool weather is here I love to listen to Journey "Evolution". That is a GREAT album and brings back memories of high school during the autumn months and living in East Tennessee. In the summer I enjoy listening to Van Hagar because that is what was popular when I was in high school during the summer (same with The Outfield). I have a few other "fall" and "summer" bands that i only listen to during those months but the rest of the year it's "ehh". Christian Metal I listen to year round but there are some bands I get tired of and put them on the shelf for a while, as much as a couple of years. But I would never dump any of it in case I wanted to hear it at a later date.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm having an existential crisis...   I'm having an existential crisis... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I'm having an existential crisis...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: Warped Drive - General Discussion-
Jump to: