For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Old dog won't eat

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MikeInFla

Number of posts : 1658
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Old dog won't eat   Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:39 am

Our Jack Russell is 15 years old. He stopped eating his food about 2 weeks ago. not completely but maybe every other day and eats less than half of his food.  It was a dry dog food (senior) that he has been eating for several years. So I bought him canned food. This worked for a few days then he wouldn't eat that anymore. So I  tried another brand. This stuff looks like Campbell's Chunky Soup.  This worked for a day or two then he wouldn't eat it anymore. 2 days ago I gave him one that was turkey & sweet potatoes. He ate it but hasn't eaten since. He didnt want that today. He's lost a lot of weight in the last month.  He still loves dog bacon every morning and eats it up. He still likes to play fetch but tires easily. He also cannot hear anymore. Today when I tried to force him out of his crate(his favorite place) he tried to bite me. He had a cyst removed from his abdomen July 5th that burst open. He recovered well from surgery but has gone down hill over the last month. We did not have the cyst tested for cancer. Wouldve been an extra $250 on our surgery bill. I guess he is just getting close to giving up the ghost so to speak. Anyone else have an old dog who won't eat? It's good quality food, no grain no animal byproducts.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 8782
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Old dog won't eat   Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:52 pm

Man... sorry to hear this.  It's so hard to watch your beloved pets grow old.
We never had a dog that quit eating, but we did have a couple dogs get so old and arthritic that it was near impossible for them to get up and eat... they would, but it was so sad to watch.  We did the right thing by them, but it nearly killed me.

The unconditional love and attention my 2 little dogs give will make it unbelievably hard to deal with when their time comes. I cannot even imagine losing either of them.

Really sorry to hear about the condition of your dog.  Just be sure to do right by him... it's hard, but it's so merciful on the poor fella. Personally I think we should have something in place like that for humans too, but that's a hot-button debate that always has differing opinions.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Number of posts : 3033
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Old dog won't eat   Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:18 pm

Sorry to hear this news.
Back to top Go down
http://www.derekclose.com
Staybrite

Number of posts : 17728
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Old dog won't eat   Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:31 pm

We have lost more than a few pets to old-age and/or illness.  Nearly every single one of them reached a stage where they would eat much (or at all) near the end.  I hope it isn't the case but it might be time to start saying goodbye to your beloved friend.

PostSubject: Re: Old dog won't eat   Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:35 am

He ended up eating a little bit of it yesterday after it sat out all day. He's lost a lot of weight. 15 is pretty old for a dog. Ever seen the movie "My Dog Skip"? That's our dog. If you haven't seen the movie you need too. He's been a good pooch so we just want him to be happy. My wife is afraid the kids will find him dead in the backyard. He likes to stay out in the backyard all the time now. Since its a fenced in yard he has a lot of room to walk around. I still see him chase squirrels but he no longer cares if the UPS man comes over or other dogs walk by at the park behind our house. Our last 2 pets were a 19 year old cat and a 16 year old cat. And my oldest daughter has a 7 or 8 year old cat. I told my wife I'm tired of pets dying so no more at least for a while.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

Number of posts : 14432
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Old dog won't eat   Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:35 am

This is hard MikeInFla.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

Number of posts : 17653
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Old dog won't eat   Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:21 pm

We had a little dog that we got when we first were married.  She only lived to be around 14 years old.  She was bouncing around the backyard a couple of days before we put her down.  She lost all kidney control, vision, and most of her rear leg use in just a couple of days.  The vet had no idea what happened but definitely recommended putting her down.  We stayed with her the whole time.

We have a cat now that is 14 years old as of May.  She still bounces around like a kitten.  However, knowing her age, I know that we have fewer days ahead than behind.  She's been a great pet and loves me to death.  She's laid next to me on the bed with several surgeries I have had and tried to get me back to good health.  We brought her and her sister home when they were only 4 weeks old.  It will kill me when something happens to Callie as she is truly my baby.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Old dog won't eat   Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:34 pm

These are the most spoiled babies ever. I cannot even imagine losing either of them.

Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

PostSubject: Re: Old dog won't eat   Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:12 am

Yep, we had a Callie too. Great cat when I found her she was a litter and eyes were not open yet. We fed her with a bottle. She died 3 or 4 years ago and lived to be 16. Our cat before that was born in 1989 (got him when I was in high school). He lived until the summer of 2008! We had to have him put to sleep. Callie died at home with all of us around. 

Today Jack did not even want yummy dog beef jerky. I sense the end is near but I don't want to take him to the vet. He does not look to be in any pain and his ears still perk up when he sees one of us. He still likes his "ball" for fetch. My wife said this morning that if he passes this week he will be happy passing away in his backyard. But the key is I need to get home before any of them do and take care of it. 

Here he is a few years ago. The colors on his face are gone, he is now all white in the face.

Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Old dog won't eat   Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:41 am

We have a young dog of 11 months old now.
He have had weeks that he didn't eat as good as he should do.
It's going better now.

Your dog looks nice MikeInFla.
I know how worried you can be about your beloved pets.

Last edited by rockerVu2 on Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Xid

PostSubject: Re: Old dog won't eat   Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:53 am

It sucks losing a pet that you've grown fond of and attached to.  We rescued a cat from the Humane Society, cute little kitten we named Maximus.  We had him about 4 or 5 years when he developed a mouth disease.  The vet said they could pull his teeth and that might take care of it.  We decided to put him down rather that put him through that.  First time I was put in that position.  It was hard.
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

PostSubject: Re: Old dog won't eat   Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:25 pm

And honestly it is because of this I don't want any more pets. I'm getting tired of them dying (yeah, we all die and it is good for kids to experience death) but I am all "petted" out.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Old dog won't eat   Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:09 pm

MikeInFla wrote:
And honestly it is because of this I don't want any more pets. I'm getting tired of them dying (yeah, we all die and it is good for kids to experience death) but I am all "petted" out.

That's me as well.  My son has a cat (that is an outside only pet)...and that is it, as long as I am alive we won't have any more pets.

PostSubject: Re: Old dog won't eat   Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:35 am

Got home from work yesterday and he was still alive (and still is even as of this writing). However, still no water and will not eat. His nose was dried out. I tried to dab a little water on his nose, he didn't even kick it off. My wife said take him to the vet and have him put to sleep Friday. However, I am afraid he won't make it til then and I was expecting to find him no longer with us this morning. My 14 year old daughter suspected something wasn't right last night so my wife gave her the news. Our 6 year old doesn't know. The saddest part for me anyway is that in preparing for his passing I went ahead and dug a large hole in the backyard last night fully expecting him not to make it thru the night. I didn't want to be digging this morning before work so I did the deed last night. Tried to give him water this morning, wasn't interested. Still looks up at me, no longer wags tail.

edit: After talking it over with my wife it will be today. Called the vet, doing the deed in a couple of hours.  Sad
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Old dog won't eat   Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:07 am

My thoughts are with you Mike. This is so hard to say goodbye to your beloved pet friend.
Pets are cool to have and I endjoy the bunny and the dog.
But when it's so far to say goodbye to the pets friends, the members of your family I was upset.
The house won't be the same without your dog.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

Number of posts : 3197
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Old dog won't eat   Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:12 am

Sorry to hear it Mike. It's tough - as much as our cats irritate me, they're part of the family.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Old dog won't eat   Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:44 am

Very sorry to hear about this, not an easy thing to do.

PostSubject: Re: Old dog won't eat   Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:55 am

Done. Be in prayer for my 2 daughters. It's gonna hit them hard today. I will try to keep my composure but more than likely when they cry I'll lose it.
Back to top Go down
bassdude

Number of posts : 419
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Old dog won't eat   Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:53 pm

Sorry for your loss.
Back to top Go down
Xid

PostSubject: Re: Old dog won't eat   Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:00 pm

Very sorry.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Old dog won't eat   Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:17 pm

Prayers are with you my friend.  It's never easy.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Old dog won't eat   Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:22 am

Very sorry for this loss.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Old dog won't eat   

Back to top Go down

Old dog won't eat
View previous topic View next topic Back to top