For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Bootlegs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Do you buy bootlegs?
1. Yes, but only if it is an out of print title.
18%
 18% [ 2 ]
2. Yes, as long as I can get an album cheaper.
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
3. No, I would never buy one intentionally.
73%
 73% [ 8 ]
4. I have bought them, but I wasn't too thrilled about it.
9%
 9% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11

AuthorMessage
alldatndensum
Admin

Number of posts : 17972
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Bootlegs   Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:09 pm

Do you every intentionally buy bootleg CDs?  What are your thoughts on them?

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Xid

Number of posts : 3133
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegs   Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:26 pm

I don't want a bootleg.  I want the real thing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.derekclose.com
Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 8863
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegs   Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:52 pm

I answered no, but I kinda need a definition of "bootleg" since there are intentional ones the bands approve of, and there are illegal ones that bands don't dig at all.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegs   Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:00 am

I have a bootleg of a movie. 
My wife's boss came back from India several years ago with a copy of Monster's Inc when it was still brand new in theaters. We were fascinated !  The boss got it for her cuz our kids were still little. He had no idea it was an illegal copy. Here's the trippy part = it had English in the left channel, and the Hindi language in the right speaker ! And it was a VCD, not DVD. So we put it on our PC and unplugged the right speaker... watched it at home while it was 4 months away from being released on DVD Twisted Evil
It was kinda cool... and we felt like such evil rebels ! haha !
It was funny cuz my cousin works for Disney and MGM, when I showed it to him, he freaked ! He wanted it so bad, but I said no way, I'm keepin this sucka ! haha
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

Number of posts : 1718
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegs   Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:55 am

For me, "bootleg" means a live show. Oh like Stryper live at BB King's, audience recording on the Reborn tour... Stuff like that. Would never buy any of it but a lot of it is free for trade. I have some great boots from Rush and Styx, these are not releases that are "out of print", they are traded live concert shows made by fans for the fans.
Back to top Go down
KellyM

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2008-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegs   Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:12 am

The only bootlegs I've ever gotten are from KISS. Some of them are really good, some aren't. I collect all things KISS anyway, so bootlegs are just part of it for me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/lordchainrocks
Staybrite

Number of posts : 18060
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegs   Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:19 pm

I have accidentally purchased a bootleg before and was less than happy (I reported the seller).
I typically won't buy them (bootlegs of out-of-print albums) because I would rather just get the mp3 files in trade from someone else. I am certain I would never intentionally buy a bootleg of any album that was still in print.

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegs   Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:03 am

Only thing I ever purchased that greatly disappointed me was an album from Amazon that turned out to be an Amazon On-Demand recording. Apparently they have the legal right to create an Amazon copy of an album that's not in print anymore... or something. But when it arrived, it had no lyrics, no credits, nothing. Just the front cover art, a blank insert and the song listing. That was IT. When I went back to Amazon to look at the listing, I seen it in SMALL print on the side "Amazon On demand recording" or something to that effect.  I felt ripped.
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegs   Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:33 am

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Only thing I ever purchased that greatly disappointed me was an album from Amazon that turned out to be an Amazon On-Demand recording. Apparently they have the legal right to create an Amazon copy of an album that's not in print anymore... or something. But when it arrived, it had no lyrics, no credits, nothing. Just the front cover art, a blank insert and the song listing. That was IT. When I went back to Amazon to look at the listing, I seen it in SMALL print on the side "Amazon On demand recording" or something to that effect.  I felt ripped.

Yes, they have the rights to do just that. If you look at many (or all) of the Frontline/Intense albums they have for sale all of them are "on Demand" CD-R's.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegs   Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:38 am

Bootlegs are indeed sometimes live recordings or video.  They also can be CDs of material OOP.  I have bought several of bands like Dual Edge, DuBiel, Follower (not the current band), Twenty Twenty, Straightway, Apostle, Canaan, Angel X, Chosen Stranger, First Strike, Elinor, and Fast Forward.  These albums were demos that were never released on CD and long since gone.  I don't know if the company that sold these had the rights or not.  Without being in one of the bands, I really couldn't tell you, either.

I didn't like it when RadRockers was selling this type of stuff as they weren't very honest about it.  When I asked Retrospect about owning the rights, they told me that they just bought the CDs cheap from another company and they had no idea but assumed that the company did not.  His supplier only did releases that were OOP.  The CDs are very bare bones with minimal painting on them, and the inserts have limited info and no lyrics.  I probably shouldn't have bought them, but I would have never heard these great bands without them.

So, if it is out of print (OOP), then I would buy them.  I have and probably will again.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

Number of posts : 14561
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegs   Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:14 am

Bootlegs, are that CDs burned by other people and sold to others for $$$?
Cds you have gotten from others who are burned, simple because the original CDs are not for sale anymore or ultra rareare that bootlegs too?
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegs   Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:32 am

Those definitely could be considered bootlegs.

Back to top Go down
messiaen77

Number of posts : 1519
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegs   Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:49 am

Honestly, if the original rights holders are not getting paid for the sale of a bootleg, I really don't see the difference between getting a bootleg CD and just going online and downloading the files from a legal or ethical position.  I don't say that to say "you sinner sinner music stealers buying bootlegs."  I am saying I would find it online through an upload or torrent rather than pay someone for something that isn't theirs in the first place.  Hey, I love music, but I'm cheap.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegs   Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:42 am

MikeInFla wrote:
Guilty/Forgiven wrote:

Yes, they have the rights to do just that. If you look at many (or all) of the Frontline/Intense albums they have for sale all of them are "on Demand" CD-R's.

As long as the artist/band gets paid, I have no problem with it. As someone who prefers original copies, I check any and all purchases for fine print now so I don't get stuck with a glorified CD-R rip anymore... Though I was disappointed, it was MY fault for not reading everything.
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegs   Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:00 am

Notice this from Amazon.

Not even a full album cover, has a black border with "Syntax" on it and "Uncompressed Audio". This is a one-sided insert inside a CD-R that amazon makes. 

Typically I look for the downloads on iTunes or i just wait for someone to reissue it (like the one above, why pay 8.99 for this when I can get the whole new booklet and Remaster from Roxx?).
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegs   Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:38 pm

Syntax, I believe, actually holds the rights to the Intense Records catalog right now as far as digital distribution goes.  Seeing that there probably are not thousands and thousands of people seeking this album, I would almost bet that they don't see a point in distributing this with a better CD quality inserts and such.  I would guess that they saw more profits from Roxx over the reissue rights than they do through actual sales of the original files.  That's just my guess, though.

Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

Number of posts : 14561
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegs   Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:04 am

In that case, I'm the "proud" owner of some very cool bootlegs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegs   

Back to top Go down

Bootlegs
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1