For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Positives to leaving Adventism

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
xenonlion

Number of posts : 1689
Registration date : 2013-08-19

PostSubject: Positives to leaving Adventism   Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:26 pm

1. I really have to have faith, not just say I do. I don't know where I'll go or shat I'll say to my parents, bug I have to trust that I'll be okay. Even if they say I'm lost.

2. I have to look into the reasons why Christians do what they do. Why do many Christians go church on Sunday? Why don't Christians forbid eating pork? Stuff like that. Since I look at these things, I'm not doing stuff just because that's what I was raised doing or because everyone else is doing it.

3. I understand the mindset and worldview. It aids in helping questioning and former adventists. I can also explain things to people who have never been in the organization.

4. I don't know how to explain this one... Salvation is more real to me. I can rely on Christ rather than be afraid.

And probably many other things.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Number of posts : 3196
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Positives to leaving Adventism   Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:21 am

You go, girl!
Back to top Go down
http://www.derekclose.com
ishmael81

Number of posts : 3353
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Positives to leaving Adventism   Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:42 am

In six months I bet that list will be two or three times as long.
Back to top Go down
xenonlion

PostSubject: Re: Positives to leaving Adventism   Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:24 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
In six months I bet that list will be two or three times as long.

Yeah. You're probably right.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

Number of posts : 18088
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Positives to leaving Adventism   Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:22 am

Quote :
2. I have to look into the reasons why Christians do what they do. Why do many Christians go church on Sunday? Why don't Christians forbid eating pork? Stuff like that. Since I look at these things, I'm not doing stuff just because that's what I was raised doing or because everyone else is doing it.

Several reasons for this, there are!† First of all, Sunday was the first day of the week.† It was the day the Lord was resurrected.† Also, out of fear of the Jews, the early Christians (Apostles and such) could not worship on the Sabbath which is Saturday for the Jews.† So, they came together on the first day of the week to break bread as you will find in Acts.† That tradition kind of stuck until the 3rd century when the church was declared the Roman state church and Sunday was declared the "Christian Sabbath" even though no such commandment was given by the Lord.† From that point, it has been a tradition.

As Christians, not Jews, we were never under the Old Testament law.† We are under grace.† Paul dealt with the Romans about looking down on fellow believers who were weak in their faith and abstained from eating certain things or held that one day was more holy than another.† Whatever day we keep, he said, we should keep and honor the Lord.

Quote :
Romans 14:1-12

14†Accept anyone who is weak in faith,[a] but donít argue about doubtful issues. 2†One person believes he may eat anything, but one who is weak eats only vegetables. 3†One who eats must not look down on one who does not eat, and one who does not eat must not criticize one who does, because God has accepted him. 4†Who are you to criticize anotherís household slave? Before his own Lord he stands or falls. And he will stand. For the Lord is able[b] to make him stand.
5†One person considers one day to be above another day. Someone else considers every day to be the same. Each one must be fully convinced in his own mind. 6†Whoever observes the day, observes it for the honor of the Lord.[c] Whoever eats, eats for the Lord, since he gives thanks to God; and whoever does not eat, it is for the Lord that he does not eat it, yet he thanks God. 7†For none of us lives to himself, and no one dies to himself. 8†If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. 9†Christ died and came to life for this: that He might rule over both the dead and the living. 10†But you, why do you criticize your brother? Or you, why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before the tribunal of God.[d] 11†For it is written:
As I live, says the Lord,
every knee will bow to Me,
and every tongue will give praise to God.[e]
12†So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God.

I hope that helps.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
alldatndensum
Admin

Number of posts : 18088
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Positives to leaving Adventism   Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:28 am

As to why we do not forbid eating pork, it also goes back to the whole not being under law but under grace is kind of where we are with that.† (Romans 6:14-15)† We were never under the OT law as believers.† Even if we were Jews that were saved, we would now be free from the law.† WE follow Jesus and are led by the Spirit, the words of Jesus, and the testimony of the Apostles.

Add to this Peter's dream in Acts.† While it referred to we Gentiles not being unclean and Peter was to take his message to them and even eat with them, the dream also has a double meaning.† Peter was told to "kill and eat".† God then told Peter that what He had made clean no man should despise.† So, as Scripture can sometimes fall into the realm of the "Law of Double Reference", most Christians also take this to mean that all creatures are made clean and are to be eaten as we see fit.† Some won't as they are still convinced we are to follow OT food rules.† The passage in Romans I posted in my previous post covers that.† Don't judge them if they do.† Just walk free as we do everything for Christ and in Christ.† If you can eat pork with a clean conscience, then do so freely in Jesus.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
xenonlion

PostSubject: Re: Positives to leaving Adventism   Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:57 am

Oh I know. Thanks for the information, though. I did lots of reading on this kind of stuff when I first left. Though, I still need to be reminded every now and then.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Positives to leaving Adventism   

Back to top Go down

Positives to leaving Adventism
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1