For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

I'm Alive!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Staybrite

Number of posts : 18063
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: I'm Alive!   Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:38 pm

Rumors of my recent death have been greatly exaggerated.  As several of you are probably aware I spent the last 4 days on the hospital, and while my medical condition is nowhere near as severe as Jeff's recent heart surgery and Jim's continuing spinal deterioration, I have to say it was a bit of a small scare.

On Friday evening I was feeling as if I had pulled a muscle in my lower left abdomen.  During the day Saturday it just got steadily worse until the middle of the night when I woke of crying and begging God to give me just a little relief.  First thing Monday morning I acquiesced and let Mrs Staybrite take me to the local urgent care clinic...they did nothing but suggest I go to the ER.  Got the ER and finally saw a Doctor who insisted I have a CT scan.  All this time the wife is thinking I am trying to pass a kidney stone.  After reviewing my CT scan the doctor comes back and says "you have diverticulitis".  What?  Apparently I have small pockets in my lower intestine and one them became infected...and burst into my abdominal cavity (yuck).  Then he says "Oh yes and by the way while we were looking at that we noticed you do have a kidney stone in you left kidney".  Fortunately the kidney stone isn't moving right now (so isn't a major concern).
They admitted me to the hospital and put me on i.v. antibiotics and some pain meds (the thing hurt something serious...and still does)  I got well enough that they finally sent me home late yesterday, but they gave me further antibiotics that make me dizzy (oh joy).  I do seem to be healing up (just much slower than I would have liked).  Thanks for your prayers and concerns....also sorry about not getting on here to tell everyone why I was gone.  It was kind of hard to use my phone in the hospital as I couldn't bend my right arm much (do to my i.v. line)....and I was very tired most of the time.

Number of posts : 2316
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: I'm Alive!   Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:11 am

Oh my goodness!  I'm glad you're alright.  So will the antibiotics clean up the mess from the burst pocket or do they have to do surgery or something?
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

Number of posts : 17978
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: I'm Alive!   Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:20 am

I am glad to hear that you are not dead especially since I just mailed you a CD.  I would have hated to waste another good CD!  LOL

My pastor has diverticulitis and has now been diagnosed with adult onset Crohn's disease.  He is constantly in pain even after they say that the worst of the infections are gone.  You will always be likely to have flair ups again.

You have both my sympathy and my prayers.  This won't be easy.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
ishmael81

Number of posts : 3325
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: I'm Alive!   Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:20 am

I saw this on Facebook (thank your wife for us for all those pictures of you in the gown What a Face ). Totally understandable about why you haven't been around. Praying for you bro.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Number of posts : 3134
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: I'm Alive!   Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:57 am

Glad you're all right and back with us!
Back to top Go down
http://www.derekclose.com
rockerVu2

Number of posts : 14568
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: I'm Alive!   Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:27 am

Glad you are feeling well enough to let us know what is going on with you.
Take the time to feel better.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 8863
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: I'm Alive!   Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:26 am

Bro, totally bummed to hear the news... but glad you're gonna make it !  I pray it's not gonna bother you much and that the stone will like it's new pad and just hang out there - forever !  You're a tough one though, I've known quite a few peeps who've had to deal with that and the pain was killer !
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: I'm Alive!   Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:45 pm

kerrick wrote:
Oh my goodness!  I'm glad you're alright.  So will the antibiotics clean up the mess from the burst pocket or do they have to do surgery or something?

That's part of the reason they kept me at the hospital so long they wanted to make sure the antibiotics were going to do the trick and surgery wouldn't be necessary.  Now that I'm home I am still on antibiotics and won't finish them until sometime Monday (so just over a weeks worth of antibiotics).

The bummer is that if you get it once, there is a likelihood that you will get it a second time.  If you recover from your second bout without the need for surgery and get it a third time they pretty much automatically go in a completely remove that section of your intestines.
Sadly it doesn't look like there is a whole lot you can do to prevent it from coming back (at least anything I'm not already doing).

PostSubject: Re: I'm Alive!   Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:54 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
I am glad to hear that you are not dead especially since I just mailed you a CD.  I would have hated to waste another good CD!  LOL

My pastor has diverticulitis and has now been diagnosed with adult onset Crohn's disease.  He is constantly in pain even after they say that the worst of the infections are gone.  You will always be likely to have flair ups again.

You have both my sympathy and my prayers.  This won't be easy.

No you haven't wasted a cd!  Laughing

I think I'm going to pass on the Crohn's disease, I've know a few people with it and it sounds horrible. (did you hear that God, please no Crohn's)

PostSubject: Re: I'm Alive!   Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:59 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Bro, totally bummed to hear the news... but glad you're gonna make it !  I pray it's not gonna bother you much and that the stone will like it's new pad and just hang out there - forever !  You're a tough one though, I've known quite a few peeps who've had to deal with that and the pain was killer !

Thanks.
I have heard that passing kidney stones is incredibly painful, and I hope I don't get the chance to find out.  But the pain from the diverticulitis was pretty darned intense as well.  It has lessened quite a bit but still won't completely go away.  I kept thinking to myself "dang, is it supposed to hurt this much...without stopping... or am I just a wimp).  But they kept wanting to put me on i.v. painkillers and I didn't really want to do that so I just tried to stick with the 5mg oxy they were offering.  One night was so painful that I had to take 10mg just be able to get any sleep.

PostSubject: Re: I'm Alive!   Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:59 pm

Also thanks for all the prayers everybody, it is greatly appreciated.

Number of posts : 1464
Registration date : 2007-04-28

PostSubject: Re: I'm Alive!   Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:44 pm

Been praying for you and am glad that you are feeling better and are on the road to recovery.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelicwarlord.com/
Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 8863
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: I'm Alive!   Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:37 pm

In regards to passing a kidney stone:
I have broken my arms, once I bent my middle finger back all the way and snapped it, was in a head on collision doing 45, had 3 back surgeries, and so on......
None of those compare to the pain I experienced when I passed a kidney stone (both times !).

There's a reason women have said it's worse than child birth.

Same description as yours: I woke up at 3AM with what felt like a wicked cramp in my lower side/back. Got up and took a leak, by the time I flushed, I hit the floor in the fetal position crying out to Lisa !  Went to ER and after they heard my complaint, they knew it was a stone even before I peed blood in their cup.

Isn't it fun getting old ? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: I'm Alive!   Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:56 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
In regards to passing a kidney stone:
I have broken my arms, once I bent my middle finger back all the way and snapped it, was in a head on collision doing 45, had 3 back surgeries, and so on......
None of those compare to the pain I experienced when I passed a kidney stone (both times !).

There's a reason women have said it's worse than child birth.

Same description as yours: I woke up at 3AM with what felt like a wicked cramp in my lower side/back. Got up and took a leak, by the time I flushed, I hit the floor in the fetal position crying out to Lisa !  Went to ER and after they heard my complaint, they knew it was a stone even before I peed blood in their cup.

Isn't it fun getting old ? Very Happy

Thanks for giving me something not to look forward to.

And yes, getting old certainly isn't boring.

PostSubject: Re: I'm Alive!   Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:56 pm

Dynamis wrote:
Been praying for you and am glad that you are feeling better and are on the road to recovery.

Thanks brother.  Wink

Number of posts : 3681
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: I'm Alive!   Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:50 pm

Praying for you here, brother.

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: I'm Alive!   Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:36 am

I'm actually feeling substantially better (going to try to work from home today), but I feel strange like really off.  Really hoping that feeling will go away.

Number of posts : 3325
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: I'm Alive!   Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:57 am

Staybrite wrote:
...but I feel strange like really off.
I feel that way every day geek
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: I'm Alive!   Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:20 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
...but I feel strange like really off.
I feel that way every day geek

lol!

Number of posts : 2856
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: I'm Alive!   Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:20 am

Glad to see you're not dead . . . . and that neither am I Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: I'm Alive!   Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:03 pm

Through The Dark Radio wrote:

Well my hospital stay wasn't nearly as serious as yours. But I was still surprised they kept me for four days. Laughing

Number of posts : 2856
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: I'm Alive!   Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:29 pm

Staybrite wrote:

Well my hospital stay wasn't nearly as serious as yours.  But I was still surprised they kept me for four days. Laughing

Whenever they aren't really sure about what's going on, they'd rather err on the side of caution.  Helps keep the lawsuits down Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: I'm Alive!   Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:14 pm

Staybrite wrote:

Well my hospital stay wasn't nearly as serious as yours.  But I was still surprised they kept me for four days. Laughing

Whenever they aren't really sure about what's going on, they'd rather err on the side of caution.  Helps keep the lawsuits down Very Happy

Speaking of lawsuits I waited around for over an hour for my orderly to show up with a wheel chair when I was discharged. Ended up having to walk out of the hospital on my own (with the head nurses blessing)

PostSubject: Re: I'm Alive!   

Back to top Go down

I'm Alive!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1