For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 Uncertain times

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
AuthorMessage
topshot rhit



Number of posts : 2924
Localisation : Indiana
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:40 pm

messiaen77 wrote:
Any new news?
Apparently not.

_________________
"If you are not concerned about your neighbor's salvation,
you should be concerned about your own."
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 17978
Age : 47
Localisation : Tennessee
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:24 pm

Actually, no news. I am still at my church as the youth pastor. I'm still being asked to preach by the tiny church I mentioned back in May. Our search committee at my church has pitched two candidates to us fo our pastor and we voted both of them down.

I am just holding where I am until I feel like the Lord reveals His place and time for me. That's all I have.

_________________




I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
rockerVu2

avatar

Number of posts : 14568
Age : 88
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:02 am

Wait and see what God is going to do for you.
I'm sure He leads you to a place He knows you are on the right place.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 17978
Age : 47
Localisation : Tennessee
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:11 pm

I am preaching up at the little church in Alexandria, TN tomorrow again. It should be fun.

I asked a few questions of them as they have of me in this process. I found out today that they prefer it if their ministers use the KJV only. Personally, I never use it anymore. I far prefer the more simplistic readings of the NLT, HCSB, or NIV for my own study. They also sing mostly old shaped-note gospel songs. They haven't updated their hymnals since the 1980s. I am starting to think this would not be a good fit for them or for me.

I am beginning to think that there isn't a good fit for me anywhere.

_________________




I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Samson

avatar

Number of posts : 615
Age : 40
Localisation : Pine Bluff, Arkansas
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:33 pm

Have you thought about switching denominations? Would that expand your borders some?
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 17978
Age : 47
Localisation : Tennessee
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:28 pm

Unless I went with something non-denominational, I would possibly have to take some extention courses or go back through seminary for that denomination to be considered. Most mainstream denominations want their ministers to go thru a school recognized by their church affiliation.

_________________




I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
ishmael81

avatar

Number of posts : 3325
Age : 36
Localisation : St Louis
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:39 am

The AG requires two at-home classes and a series of interviews - our pastor was ordained in another denomination originally and changed to AG. They also require you be a continuationist and unless I'm missing something, you likely aren't and Southern Baptists are typically cessationists.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 17978
Age : 47
Localisation : Tennessee
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:02 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
The AG requires two at-home classes and a series of interviews - our pastor was ordained in another denomination originally and changed to AG. They also require you be a continuationist and unless I'm missing something, you likely aren't and Southern Baptists are typically cessationists.


I spent couple of years in an Assembly Of God church several years ago. I am definitely not a cessationist. I believe that God still gives the gifts of the Holy Spirit. However, I am also a realist. I felt like most of the more visible "gifts" I witnessed while in the AoG church were faked. They all just magically stop when the music stopped?

I believe that those gifts are still in use today, but I feel they are fewer in number than what many Pentecostals think. So, that kind of puts me in the middle when it comes to the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

_________________




I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
ishmael81

avatar

Number of posts : 3325
Age : 36
Localisation : St Louis
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:57 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:
The AG requires two at-home classes and a series of interviews - our pastor was ordained in another denomination originally and changed to AG. They also require you be a continuationist and unless I'm missing something, you likely aren't and Southern Baptists are typically cessationists.


I spent couple of years in an Assembly Of God church several years ago. I am definitely not a cessationist. I believe that God still gives the gifts of the Holy Spirit. However, I am also a realist. I felt like most of the more visible "gifts" I witnessed while in the AoG church were faked. They all just magically stop when the music stopped?

I believe that those gifts are still in use today, but I feel they are fewer in number than what many Pentecostals think. So, that kind of puts me in the middle when it comes to the gifts of the Holy Spirit.
I think that's a fair assessment. I've also noticed that type of thing in smaller churches but my experience is rather limited.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

avatar

Number of posts : 18063
Age : 49
Localisation : Seattle
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:13 pm

Ishmael81 wrote:
All that being said, how are things with you alldat?

This reminded me that we have completely derailed Alldats "Uncertain Times/Prayer Request" thread with the KJO discussion. If you want to continue that please see the link below

http://www.christianhardmusic.com/t7924-king-james-only-discussion

_________________
"I used to be indecisive.......... Now I'm not sure."
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 17978
Age : 47
Localisation : Tennessee
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:01 pm

Our search committee at my current church is about to step down. They have served for almost a year. They have presented TWO candidates to our church who were both voted down. The committee doesn't feel that they really know what the church wants. Many of the church people feel like the committee didn't really ask what they wanted in a pastor. We will get a new committee in Sept. One of the members of the committee says that he and his family are leaving since the church turned against him. He has stirred the pot in some other areas that I won't go into. He is also the one that convinced the committee that I was not interested in the position even though I was. There is more to this that what I am saying, but I don't feel like writing a whole novel.

In the meantime, I keep getting requests for my resume from little churches that I couldn't possibly afford to pastor. I keep preaching at one every month that probably can't pay much more than gas money. I go up there again this Sunday. I have another church that is very similar to that interested in me from the other side of Nashville coming to hear me. I am honored they are interested in me as a pastor, but I don't know if I want to pastor a church that is small enough that you'd probably be holding their hand until enough of them pass away before they closed their doors.

I am still trying to do the youth ministry in my current church, but the apathy of the church (and especially of the youth) seems to be growing. It is discouraging to say the least. But, I am holding on until I feel that the Lord has truly released me to a new work. It is all I know to do.

_________________




I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Jen5

avatar

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2017-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:26 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
I am still trying to do the youth ministry in my current church, but the apathy of the church (and especially of the youth) seems to be growing. It is discouraging to say the least. But, I am holding on until I feel that the Lord has truly released me to a new work. It is all I know to do.

There's a local pastor here who has increased his youth following by having a regular youth night with "too cool to pass up" activities. He's really turned how kids view church on its head. They do stuff like play spotlight inside the church. The kids think it's so cool to actually play IN the church and hide under the pews. They've held bake-offs and had flour bomb wars in the yard and on Fathers' Day they have a father-child event in the evening that gets massive turnout. He can get 30 kids out for some of these events which is absolutely awesome.

His emphasis through all of this is modelling loving Christian behaviour. The kids are encouraged to help one another out. The older kids are given leadership roles on the day. On Fathers' Day they get fathers coming too who may not attend church services regularly. So these Dad's are coming out for their children and end up being exposed to these awesome relationships. It's all good stuff.

Recently he has been noticing a drop in numbers once again. But after several years of doing this sort of ministry, I suppose that can be expected. Not one to be discouraged, he's reviewing the whole offering. I'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with next.

Don't be discouraged alldat. "The Lord will fight for you. You need only be still." Patience and prayer friend.

...and music...of course. Amen
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

avatar

Number of posts : 14568
Age : 88
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:22 am

God gave Moses a long preparation time before he was so far that he could really implement the plan that God had with him.
Do not be discouraged. Sometimes God first gives a good education before he can do his plan for you.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 17978
Age : 47
Localisation : Tennessee
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:53 pm

Jen5 wrote:
alldatndensum wrote:
I am still trying to do the youth ministry in my current church, but the apathy of the church (and especially of the youth) seems to be growing. It is discouraging to say the least. But, I am holding on until I feel that the Lord has truly released me to a new work. It is all I know to do.

There's a local pastor here who has increased his youth following by having a regular youth night with "too cool to pass up" activities. He's really turned how kids view church on its head. They do stuff like play spotlight inside the church. The kids think it's so cool to actually play IN the church and hide under the pews. They've held bake-offs and had flour bomb wars in the yard and on Fathers' Day they have a father-child event in the evening that gets massive turnout. He can get 30 kids out for some of these events which is absolutely awesome.

His emphasis through all of this is modelling loving Christian behaviour. The kids are encouraged to help one another out. The older kids are given leadership roles on the day. On Fathers' Day they get fathers coming too who may not attend church services regularly. So these Dad's are coming out for their children and end up being exposed to these awesome relationships. It's all good stuff.

Recently he has been noticing a drop in numbers once again. But after several years of doing this sort of ministry, I suppose that can be expected. Not one to be discouraged, he's reviewing the whole offering. I'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with next.

Don't be discouraged alldat. "The Lord will fight for you. You need only be still." Patience and prayer friend.

...and music...of course. Amen


I'd like to get the name of the church and youth pastor so I could contact him for more information about that if you could help a brother out like that.

_________________




I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Jen5

avatar

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2017-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:00 am

His name is Peter Rickman. He's the dean of the local Anglican Cathedral Church. He's an amazing man. I just checked out their website (http://www.stpeter.org.nz/) and saw that today they're holding a youth event called "spaced out." They've covered the pulpit in tin foil (I kid you not) and have green and pink lasers mounted on the pews. Check out the photos on the website. Amazing!

I don't think that's for a Youth Nite programme though. I think the space theme is for a Scouts event being held inside the Cathedral. Dean Peter is involved with Scouts so that makes sense. While his youth programme might not use lasers, it's all in a similar "out of the box" vein.

Being an Anglican Cathedral, they lean towards the more formal side when it comes to worship (the bishop wears a funny hat -- though she does joke about it -- and the glorious choir and ministry team is lead into service with a cross while the dean carries a septre). It's all very formal...so it is so neat that they shed that formality and go in a completely different direction to offer clean fun for the kids in a church context.

I'm sure he'd be happy to talk to you, alldat. Though, keep in mind that he's in the process of reviewing the programme.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit



Number of posts : 2924
Localisation : Indiana
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:56 pm

Mod note: Flags discussion has been split off from here and then merged to original topic.

_________________
"If you are not concerned about your neighbor's salvation,
you should be concerned about your own."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   

Back to top Go down
 
Uncertain times
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 9 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Similar topics
-
» 24bit 1976 Life & Times Billy Cobham Japan Edition Nov
» 3 Times Driven
» There Is Shit At SBFII!
» GOT MY EARLY CHRISTMAS PRESENTS !
» Gerry McCann attacks 'disgraceful' Sunday Times after 55k libel payout

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: The WORD - Biblical Discussion and Prayer Requests-
Jump to: