Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Reading together?

Go down 
+4
Staybrite
Fundy
Guilty/Forgiven
rockerVu2
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

Reading together? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading together?   Reading together? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2016 10:46 am

You could've had an altar call at the end too...

"Every head bowed, every eye closed..."
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9954
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Reading together?   Reading together? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2016 1:33 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
You could've had an altar call at the end too...

"Every head bowed, every eye closed..."

lol!  Good old modern Western church ! "We speak Christianeze" LOL
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Reading together?   Reading together? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2016 2:13 pm

...singing verse 1, 3, 5 and 6 of "Just As I Am"
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

PostSubject: Re: Reading together?   Reading together? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2016 3:10 pm

Going to keep my mouth shut about chapter 4.  I seem to have killed this thread.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23418
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Reading together?   Reading together? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2016 7:22 pm

I'm so behind.  Still need to read chapter 3.  I stink at this.

Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23465
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Reading together?   Reading together? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2016 9:18 pm

Staybrite wrote:
I'm so behind.  Still need to read chapter 3.  I stink at this.

You think that you're bad?  I still have to read chapter 2!!!  Life's been crazy lately with all the stuff at church going on.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16567
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Reading together?   Reading together? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2016 7:41 am

We can take a break to give you the time to read the chapters you still have to read.
We do this together and when some are behind I think we have to give them time to read the other chapters.
Are you ok with this?
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Reading together?   Reading together? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2016 8:50 am

Let's shoot for Chapter 4 next week. My wife is at a conference all weekend and I've been swamped.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Reading together?   Reading together? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2016 7:17 am

What shall we do this week?
Wait till the others have all chapters read so we all can start at a new chapter in John?
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Reading together?   Reading together? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2016 7:37 am

I'm open to whatever everyone wants to do but I may have to bow out from time to time. Currently, my son is playing fall ball, we have a Bible study on Wednesdays, Worship practice on Thursday (which I also teach a brief devotional for) and of course my wife and I both have full time jobs. I'll try to keep up but please allow me some grace if I miss a week.
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

PostSubject: Re: Reading together?   Reading together? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2016 8:13 am

ishmael81 wrote:
I'm open to whatever everyone wants to do but I may have to bow out from time to time. Currently, my son is playing fall ball, we have a Bible study on Wednesdays, Worship practice on Thursday (which I also teach a brief devotional for) and of course my wife and I both have full time jobs. I'll try to keep up but please allow me some grace if I miss a week.
Sorry, this is a Bible reading group.  There is no room for grace here.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Reading together?   Reading together? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2016 8:25 am

messiaen77 wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:
Sorry, this is a Bible reading group.  There is no room for grace here.

Lol.... Sad but I've been in a few studies where that was the attitude...
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

PostSubject: Re: Reading together?   Reading together? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2016 1:44 pm

Yeah, me too.

I know I said I was gonna keep my mouth shut on this one, but I'll just go ahead and say that the Samaritan woman story has always been one that troubled me.  I have a hard time separating what I was taught it meant from what I think the text is actually saying.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Reading together?   Reading together? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2016 10:42 am

Do tell. What were you taught that conflicts with what it says?

To be fair, I've wondered about this story as well. Is this a foundation for Jesus to save Gentiles?
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

PostSubject: Re: Reading together?   Reading together? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2016 3:00 pm

You know, I think it is.  I think it is showing that he was serious about "whosoever believes".

The big thing I learned, and still read in some sources, is there starting in verse 16 when we get into her marital history.  I was always taught that this was Jesus showing her the sin in her life and her need for repentance.  But I don't see it that clearly in the passage.  It seems to me when I read it that there is no condemnation in what Jesus says and there's no call for repentance.  When I read it, it seems that Jesus was demonstrating that he knew these intimate details of her life even though he just her as a means for her to recognize that he was more than just a thirsty traveler.

I dunno, maybe I'm moving into the heretical, but I just don't see Jesus being all that concerned with holding people accountable for their sins.  it was John shouting "Repent!"  Jesus just seems to say "Come."
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Reading together?   Reading together? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2016 3:09 pm

Yep, definitely heretical.  BURN HIM!!!!  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Reading together?   Reading together? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2016 3:23 pm

messiaen77 wrote:
You know, I think it is.  I think it is showing that he was serious about "whosoever believes".

The big thing I learned, and still read in some sources, is there starting in verse 16 when we get into her marital history.  I was always taught that this was Jesus showing her the sin in her life and her need for repentance.  But I don't see it that clearly in the passage.  It seems to me when I read it that there is no condemnation in what Jesus says and there's no call for repentance.  When I read it, it seems that Jesus was demonstrating that he knew these intimate details of her life even though he just her as a means for her to recognize that he was more than just a thirsty traveler.

I dunno, maybe I'm moving into the heretical, but I just don't see Jesus being all that concerned with holding people accountable for their sins.  it was John shouting "Repent!"  Jesus just seems to say "Come."

I was always taught that as well - and growing up Baptist it usually turned into a tirade about divorce as well.

But I always thought based on verse 23, it was more about Jesus opening the door for, as you said, whosoever:
But a time is coming and is already here when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit [from the heart, the inner self] and in truth; for the Father seeks such people to be His worshipers.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Reading together?   Reading together? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2016 8:55 pm

I'm absolutely loving this thread !  I believe way too many years have been spent making passages such as this a "plea for holiness" - a DOs and DON'Ts lesson... but there seems to be a bit of, dare I say, an awakening on these topics that align much better with the Person Nature and Work of Jesus.

One of the biggest things I've struggled with my Christian walk was "if it's FREE, why am I working so hard to feel worthy of it ?" It was when I realized I'd never be worthy of His Grace, and that He's got me and loves me whether I'm "doing good" or not.... 

Good stuff people. Keep it up  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5323
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Reading together?   Reading together? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 1:11 pm

I'm so far behind in this thread that I'm still in Luke!

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23418
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Reading together?   Reading together? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 3:07 pm

Fundy wrote:
I'm so far behind in this thread that I'm still in Luke!

Wow, and here I thought I was horribly behind at John chapter 3.  lol!

rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Reading together?   Reading together? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 3:12 pm

Shall we start to read again next week?
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Reading together?   Reading together? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2016 12:12 pm

I'd say so. One thing for those who already read.... can't hurt to read it thru again  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

PostSubject: Re: Reading together?   Reading together? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2016 2:52 pm

So apparently this is no longer a thing?
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Reading together?   Reading together? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2016 4:54 pm

It seems so.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Reading together?   Reading together? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2016 11:06 am

Why don't we start again next week?

Anybody interested?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reading together?   Reading together? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reading together?
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next