Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Turned on?

Go down 
+7
Driven
messiaen77
Through The Dark Radio
MikeInFla
Guilty/Forgiven
crucifyd
ishmael81
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

Turned on? Empty
PostSubject: Turned on?   Turned on? I_icon_minitimeTue May 09, 2017 11:40 am

Ha ha! Gotcha with the title huh?

I know people will complain about how tough this is but I had a neat idea. Tell us 5 songs that turned you on to an artist. The five songs (one from each artist) that made you say "Who's that? I gotta hear more!" Any five songs will do!

Here's mine:
1. Five Iron Frenzy - Dandelions
2. Resurrection Band - Rooster Crow/Altar of Pain
3. Bob Dylan - All Along the Watchtower (actually I heard the Hendrix version and then found out it was a cover)
4. Showbread - Mouth Like a Magazine
5. Brad Paisley - The Cigar Song
Back to top Go down
crucifyd

crucifyd

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2016-02-12

Turned on? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turned on?   Turned on? I_icon_minitimeTue May 09, 2017 3:22 pm

definitely HAD to hear more when I heard this song:
1. The Chosen by Believer (East Coast Metal)

and I got to four, with some help from Discogs...as far as these I don't specifically remember thinking "gotta hear more" but I would guess that's what happened:
2. Attack by Deliverance (California Metal)
3. Deadlock by Barren Cross (California Metal)
4. Son Of God by Neon Cross (California Metal)

hmmm there's a theme here: compilations
Back to top Go down
http://www.crucifyd.com
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9945
Registration date : 2007-05-18

Turned on? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turned on?   Turned on? I_icon_minitimeTue May 09, 2017 3:41 pm

Great songs there Ish !

Here are the 5 I can think of off the top of my balding head:

1. Eruption - Van Halen (In '78 when it was brand new - 1st song I heard by them.. I was sold !)
2. Seek and Destroy - Metallica (Friend made me a tape mix with this song on it in '84)
3. Selah - Christafari (heard on radio when new, went out the next morning and bought the tape)
4. Fire and Love - Guardian (heard on "Reality Rock" Friday night show -forever a fan after that !)
5. New Way to be Human - Switchfoot (Seen video on "God Rock" - instant fan)

There are about 7,434 more like these I could list here as well, but those are the most prominent in my mind Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3116
Registration date : 2012-03-18

Turned on? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turned on?   Turned on? I_icon_minitimeTue May 09, 2017 4:14 pm

No particular order:

1. Satch Boogie by Joe Satriani
2. Come Sail Away by Styx
3. Reason For The Season by Stryper
4. Who Will You Follow by Whitecross
5. Even Flow by Pearl Jam

There are many, many more. I could also include Montrose "Bad Motor Scooter" or "Bad Company" by Bad Company. That was the first album I ever heard when I was about 5 years old. My older brother played it when it was a pretty recent release and I had to hear more after hearing that song.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Turned on? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turned on?   Turned on? I_icon_minitimeTue May 09, 2017 6:35 pm

Quote :
2. Come Sail Away by Styx
3. Reason For The Season by Stryper
4. Who Will You Follow by Whitecross

These were also huge for me
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

Turned on? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turned on?   Turned on? I_icon_minitimeWed May 10, 2017 2:01 pm

1. Ultimatum - Temple of the Spirit (heard this on one of the Blastbeats comps and was blown away)
2. Sacrament - Haunts of Violence (once the song kicks into full gear, it's amazing)
3. Saint - Time's End (I remember seeing the album cover at the local Christian store and was intrigued . . . listened to it and never looked back)
4. Leviticus - Let Me Fight (pretty much the same as Saint)
5. Venia - The Path (this was when Firestream hosted songs from various bands . . . and it's the opening song for my show now)
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

Turned on? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turned on?   Turned on? I_icon_minitimeThu May 11, 2017 10:29 pm

Ok, here we go

1.  Queen--Flash Gordon
2.  Rez--White Noize
5 (3 sir).  Five Iron Frenzy--Pre-Ex Girlfriend
4.  Demon Hunter--Infected
5.  Cletus T. Judd--Did I Shave My Back for This
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Turned on? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turned on?   Turned on? I_icon_minitimeFri May 12, 2017 2:14 pm

I see what you did there Very Happy

I have to say, I certainly didn't expect the song "Flash Gordon" to be in this thread.
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

Turned on? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turned on?   Turned on? I_icon_minitimeFri May 12, 2017 2:46 pm

Nash the Slash - Wolf
Titanic - Ocean of Blood
77s - Cold Cold Night
Guardian - Mystery Man
The Showdown - The Man Named Hell
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23399
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Turned on? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turned on?   Turned on? I_icon_minitimeFri May 12, 2017 4:22 pm

messiaen77 wrote:
Ok, here we go

1.  Queen--Flash Gordon

FLASH!  aaaaaahhh...he'll save every one of us!

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

Turned on? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turned on?   Turned on? I_icon_minitimeFri May 12, 2017 11:45 pm

Driven wrote:
Nash the Slash - Wolf
Titanic - Ocean of Blood
77s - Cold Cold Night
Guardian - Mystery Man
The Showdown - The Man Named Hell
My 77s song was "How Can You Love" from Ping Pong Over the Abyss
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23458
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Turned on? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turned on?   Turned on? I_icon_minitimeSat May 13, 2017 7:28 am

1.  To Hell With The Devil - Stryper
2.  Big Balls - AC/DC  (when I was 14, that was the first song I'd ever heard by them)
3.  Silence Screams - Rez (heard it on the old Stainless Steel show they did on a college station years ago)

I will add my final two after I think about this more.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Turned on? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turned on?   Turned on? I_icon_minitimeSun May 14, 2017 1:30 pm

I spent about 15 minutes typing out a response on Friday and then accidentally shut off my browser completely loosing it.  Maybe I should try being brief this time.  In no particular order...

1. You Gotta Move - Rose  (this is from their Intense Live album, but I had it one some Christian book store compilation that I found in a cut-out bin when I was a new Christian.  Heard this track and just knew I had to find more music from the artist).
2. Green Manalishi - Judas Priest (this is likely the song that kindle my love for hard rock/heavy metal music, I heard it on the radio when I was in the 9th grade and instantly fell in love with the band).
3. Queen of the Reich - Queensryche (also heard this on the radio before the album even got picked up for a major label...couldn't hardly believe that a local band sounded so professional).
4. Soldiers Under Command - Stryper (before I was ever a Christian a friend got this album and played it for me....I was an instant fan)
5. Hotline - White Heart (again years before I became a Christian I worked during the holidays for a guy who installed blinds and drapes, he was a relatively new Christian and would play this album in his work van as we went from job to job, I was a long haired metal head at the time (1984/85) but I still loved every song on this album)

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3116
Registration date : 2012-03-18

Turned on? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turned on?   Turned on? I_icon_minitimeMon May 15, 2017 12:28 pm

Staybrite wrote:
I was a long haired metal head at the time (1984/85) but I still loved every song on this album)

Pics or hair never happened.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Turned on? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turned on?   Turned on? I_icon_minitimeMon May 15, 2017 3:36 pm

MikeInFla wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
I was a long haired metal head at the time (1984/85) but I still loved every song on this album)

Fine, this was about a year later in spring of 1986.  It was my senior photo shoot.  Kind of bummed because I think this is the only picture I could find from that session and it is really beat up.

Turned on? GarySpring%201986%20cropped_zpsz7oxv21l

Guilty/Forgiven

Turned on? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turned on?   Turned on? I_icon_minitimeTue May 16, 2017 3:31 pm

Quote :
I spent about 15 minutes typing out a response on Friday and then accidentally shut off my browser completely loosing it.  Maybe I should try being brief this time.  In no particular order...

Can't tell you how many times that's happened to me  Evil or Very Mad -Now whenever I type anything of substance, I copy it every so often.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Turned on? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turned on?   Turned on? I_icon_minitimeTue May 16, 2017 3:49 pm

Quote :

MikeInFla wrote:Staybrite wrote:I was a long haired metal head at the time (1984/85) but I still loved every song on this album)
Fine, this was about a year later in spring of 1986.  It was my senior photo shoot.  Kind of bummed because I think this is the only picture I could find from that session and it is really beat up.

My biggest metal head days were '84 - '87. I would get tired of how much work it was to have really long hair (gained an appreciation for the ladies and their ongoing hair struggles then) so I'd usually keep it somewhat long, but tamed... Tame the Mane ! 

Here's an '87 shot (can't remember which metal band's picture we were mimicking)
This is about the longest my hair would get before it became too annoying for me:

Turned on? 1987_c10
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5512
Registration date : 2014-03-12

Turned on? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turned on?   Turned on? I_icon_minitimeTue May 16, 2017 4:06 pm

Bill the Cat ROCKS!!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Turned on? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turned on?   Turned on? I_icon_minitimeTue May 16, 2017 9:38 pm

Ack ! Thbbbt !
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

Turned on? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turned on?   Turned on? I_icon_minitimeWed May 17, 2017 2:31 pm

I now have a ponytail that goes almost below my shoulders. However, my girlfriend just got a haircut that barely touches the collar, so my hair is now much longer than hers. Strange. Razz
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3496
Registration date : 2013-07-17

Turned on? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turned on?   Turned on? I_icon_minitimeWed May 17, 2017 3:01 pm

Driven wrote:
I now have a ponytail that goes almost below my shoulders. However, my girlfriend just got a haircut that barely touches the collar, so my hair is now much longer than hers. Strange. Razz

I'm not going to ask why this is in the "turned on" thread...  Razz
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Turned on? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turned on?   Turned on? I_icon_minitimeWed May 17, 2017 3:13 pm

Driven wrote:

When I was in high school (see the picture above), my girlfriend and I had the same length of hair and were almost exactly the same height.  People would say when they saw us from behind it was almost difficult to tell us apart.

Through The Dark Radio

Turned on? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turned on?   Turned on? I_icon_minitimeWed May 17, 2017 4:20 pm

Staybrite wrote:
1. You Gotta Move - Rose  (this is from their Intense Live album, but I had it one some Christian book store compilation that I found in a cut-out bin when I was a new Christian.  Heard this track and just knew I had to find more music from the artist).
2. Green Manalishi - Judas Priest (this is likely the song that kindle my love for hard rock/heavy metal music, I heard it on the radio when I was in the 9th grade and instantly fell in love with the band).
3. Queen of the Reich - Queensryche (also heard this on the radio before the album even got picked up for a major label...couldn't hardly believe that a local band sounded so professional).
4. Soldiers Under Command - Stryper (before I was ever a Christian a friend got this album and played it for me....I was an instant fan)
5. Hotline - White Heart (again years before I became a Christian I worked during the holidays for a guy who installed blinds and drapes, he was a relatively new Christian and would play this album in his work van as we went from job to job, I was a long haired metal head at the time (1984/85) but I still loved every song on this album)

The Rose song is fantastic.  He did it really well.  And I have to say the Priest version of The Green Manalishi is better than the original.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Turned on? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turned on?   Turned on? I_icon_minitimeWed May 17, 2017 5:41 pm

Through The Dark Radio wrote:
Staybrite wrote:

The Rose song is fantastic.  He did it really well.  And I have to say the Priest version of The Green Manalishi is better than the original.

Completely agree on both counts.
For years I had no idea that the Green Manalishi Song was a cover.  It is certainly a classic case of taking someone else's song and "making it your own".

Through The Dark Radio

Turned on? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turned on?   Turned on? I_icon_minitimeFri May 19, 2017 10:35 am

Kind of like Manfred Mann's Earth Band doing Bruce Springsteen's Blinded By The Light Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Turned on? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turned on?   Turned on? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Turned on?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: Warped Drive - General Discussion-
Jump to: