Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

I just need to rant!!!

Go down 
+5
messiaen77
Fundy
Through The Dark Radio
Xid
alldatndensum
9 posters
AuthorMessage
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23441
Registration date : 2007-01-30

I just need to rant!!! Empty
PostSubject: I just need to rant!!!   I just need to rant!!! I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 26, 2017 9:06 pm

I met a guy over a year ago who wanted to talk about us doing some music together.  We parted amicably as I thought we could work on both of our individual projects and he felt that his vision was far more important.  No biggie.  I've ran into that many times before.

Well, he contacted me agin via Facebook a couple of weeks ago.  He wanted to discuss us doing some music together.  Okay.  Great.  I kind of felt like I knew where this would go based on the last time, but I wanted to be open to whatever.

We talked via the FB Messenger.  He wanted me to call him and gave his number on Friday.  I was incredibly busy with church this weekend and didn't have time to.  I just let it slip my mind on Monday.

So, today I get a public message on FB about how he had heard my project, how bad it sounded, and that no one would listen to it except a few drunks in a bar.  He was very condescending towards my music, but then wanted me to call him.  WHAT????

I messaged him and told him that I felt he was being very nisulting towards my musical endeavors and that I thought that was a strange way to recruit musicians.  I also explained that I wanted to reach the lost with my project---especially drunks in bars if possible.  I don't want to play just to the church.  I want to be different than the stereotypical CCM worship band.  I value their ministries, but that isn't what I feel I should do.

He responded by saying that my project wasn't even very Christian sounding.  He also went off on a tangent about how if I were to play revivals in a church that I had to play music that the pastor, his kids, and the majority of the people liked.  I explained that I didn't want to just play revivals.  He again insulted me and said that even the drunks in bars wouldn't want to hear my outdated blues junk.

I replied that I didn't think that we were going to work out due to his negativity.  I also felt it was time to unfriend and just move on--which I did.  He sent me another message about how I was not cut out for what he wanted to do musically.  Rather than just let it go after I had unfriended him, he had to BLOCK me even though he had been the one to insult my music over and over again.

No wonder I haven't really looked for musicians in a few years!!!!  lol! 

To be honest, this dude has me seriously looking at ways to get out and play as a solo act.  I don't think I am cut out to handle the drama of other musicians.

Peace, out!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5505
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: I just need to rant!!!   I just need to rant!!! I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 26, 2017 10:34 pm

I saw that post and almost responded with:  "Punctuation:  Use it."
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: I just need to rant!!!   I just need to rant!!! I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 6:12 am

I almost left if up but knew that a few folks would possibly jump in and it would go nuts.  So, after a co-worker told me about it, I felt that I should take it down.

Musicians can be nuttier than a fruitcake!  His actions make me want to stop playing and disassociate from musical people--especially in the Christian scene.  I won't because that isn't who I am.

I am seriously looking into being a solo act. I am going to modify one of my cigar box guitars with a single pole pickup.  It will be wired to a separate out that will first run through an octave pedal and then through a separate channel or bass amp.  I have a Beatbuddy drum machine pedal now.  BOOM!  Once I get comfortable with the Beatbuddy, I can be a one man power trio.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: I just need to rant!!!   I just need to rant!!! I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 8:33 am

If people at a bar can handle "Achy Breaky Heart", I think they'll enjoy BC&TBBB.
Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5307
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: I just need to rant!!!   I just need to rant!!! I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 12:05 pm

Some folks need to realise there's different ways to evangelise!  It's not all preachy preachy!

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: I just need to rant!!!   I just need to rant!!! I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 2:13 pm

Wow, so you were gonna play with Joshua Perahia?
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23373
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: I just need to rant!!!   I just need to rant!!! I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 2:53 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
I am seriously looking into being a solo act. I am going to modify one of my cigar box guitars with a single pole pickup.  It will be wired to a separate out that will first run through an octave pedal and then through a separate channel or bass amp.  I have a Beatbuddy drum machine pedal now.  BOOM!  Once I get comfortable with the Beatbuddy, I can be a one man power trio.

Is it like one of those "looping" pedals?  I've seen some fantastic music performed by one artists live using a looping pedal (Melissa Etheridge, Ed Sheeran).

As for working with whoever that guy was I certainly wouldn't do it.  If doesn't think your music isn't "Christian enough"....pairing it with is completely "unChristian" attitude would be a serious mistake....you would practically be playing satanic music. (ok that was supposed to be a joke).

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: I just need to rant!!!   I just need to rant!!! I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 2:53 pm

messiaen77 wrote:

That made me  lol!

kerrick

Number of posts : 3493
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: I just need to rant!!!   I just need to rant!!! I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 3:19 pm

Me too.  Laughing
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: I just need to rant!!!   I just need to rant!!! I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 4:16 pm

Staybrite wrote:
alldatndensum wrote:

Is it like one of those "looping" pedals?  I've seen some fantastic music performed by one artists live using a looping pedal (Melissa Etheridge, Ed Sheeran).

No, the BeatBuddy is a full functioning drum machine that is built to operate by foot.  You can put together your beats for a song, have a fill in to change to the next part, and even have intro and ending beats.  You also can save your beats so you have songs programmed.  You can also play it live by knowing how to change the beats up to sound more human.  I haven't played with it much, but it does seem pretty amazing.

Last edited by alldatndensum on Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: I just need to rant!!!   I just need to rant!!! I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2017 1:01 am

Oh wow, that does look really cool.  Thumbs Up

Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: I just need to rant!!!   I just need to rant!!! I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2017 6:10 am

I still need to get another footswitch for it.  I want to try the one that goes with my guitar amp first just to see if any old switch will do or will I have to buy the actual BeatBuddy one.  Most gear doesn't require proprietary switches.

Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: I just need to rant!!!   I just need to rant!!! I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2017 3:00 pm

messiaen77 wrote:

lol!
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5505
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: I just need to rant!!!   I just need to rant!!! I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2017 4:11 pm

messiaen77 wrote:
Ewwwww!  Not if you were laaaast immigrant grocer on earth.  Honey.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9927
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: I just need to rant!!!   I just need to rant!!! I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2017 3:23 pm

Quote :
wasn't even very Christian sounding

What does that even mean these days ???  Yes, P&W is immediately identifiable as Christian much like old Gospel music is. We're finally in the 21st Century where Christians can just make whatever style of music and evangelize, sing about a relationship, or about politics, despair, silliness, etc.
I thank God Christian artists don't always "sound Christian" - it can be a hindrance to creativity and ward off non-believers.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: I just need to rant!!!   I just need to rant!!! I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 30, 2017 6:04 am

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Quote :
wasn't even very Christian sounding

What does that even mean these days ???  Yes, P&W is immediately identifiable as Christian much like old Gospel music is. We're finally in the 21st Century where Christians can just make whatever style of music and evangelize, sing about a relationship, or about politics, despair, silliness, etc.
I thank God Christian artists don't always "sound Christian" - it can be a hindrance to creativity and ward off non-believers.

Honestly, I think the guy has a couple of screws loose.  Seriously, though, I really think that he thought I was just brushing him off because I had not called him back.  I had a busy weekend and there was no grace given for just not calling instantly.  Well, when I had talked to the same guy last year, he was supposedly working on a project.  Well, he still hasn't started it despite supposedly being this home studio guru.  So, in all honesty, I am thankful that the guy melted down so I didn't make the mistake of working with him at all.  I could have stood without all his personal attacks, but at least I am not neck deep in working with him on a project before things went sour.

What does "Christian enough" sound like?  Well, according to this guy, his music was acoustic guitar driven P&W stuff.  His samples were rather uninspiring to me, but that could be due to them just being live takes at his church.  He wanted to play music that "people at revivals, the pastors, and their children liked".  I don't think that my newer stuff is anywhere aimed at that demographic.  He told me that the only people who would want to hear it were drunks in a smoky bar.  I consider that a compliment as that is the demographic I believe that we Christian SHOULD be aiming at if we are truly a ministry band.  We need to reach the lost.  Sure, some folks need to write the next generation's hymns, but we need artists in every field to take Jesus to the masses in whatever form that can take.  We've lost that hunger to evangelize at every level of the American church.  It will take the poets and musicians to lead that march.

Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

Number of posts : 1710
Registration date : 2017-08-01

PostSubject: Re: I just need to rant!!!   I just need to rant!!! I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 30, 2017 10:05 pm

Hey alldat. Please don't be discouraged because some nutter got in your face with his bad attitude. A little bit of crazy goes with the creative personality, but not all creatives are unstable. When you find an artist that is in sync with you, it's an amazing, energizing experience. I've worked with so many people and a few of those projects were absolute train wrecks. I had one female songwriter become an absolute tyrant on my head because I dared make suggestions to change the wording of her bridge! With difficulty, I kept my head and temper down, but I didn't sleep for days because it was so upsetting. As if I would ever step on someone's toes intentionally! I was completely stunned. So, I knuckled down, finished the project, wished her well and learned my lesson -- don't work with that one again. lol

BUT, my next two collabs were awesome (one was with a 1930s lounge style songwriter and one was my most awesome John). Had I walked away from collaborating (which is exactly what I felt like doing) I would have missed those awesome opportunities.

For what it's worth, I agree, ministering to the fringes is where it's at. Sitting on the fringes just feels right to me.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: I just need to rant!!!   I just need to rant!!! I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 01, 2017 3:22 pm

To be honest, if we aren't setting ourselves up as Christians to reach the lost, then what is the point?  Maybe I am thinking about it incorrectly.  It just seems that we've lost that in modern Christian music.  We'd rather market to other Christians while the world goes to hell in a hand basket.

Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

Number of posts : 1710
Registration date : 2017-08-01

PostSubject: Re: I just need to rant!!!   I just need to rant!!! I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 01, 2017 4:09 pm

You're right. I agree with you absolutely on that. That said, I can see how that shift of writing for other Christians rather than the fringes happened. If you're a working musician writing faith-based music, you will sell more music to Christians than to the fringes. That's bread on the table and ensures you are able to keep working in the industry. What works for me is to do a mix of worship music, secular music, and music that ministers to the fringes. It's a hard road to walk because folks like your non-collaborator dude will look down on that more messy Christian work seeing it as immoral. Even my own mother is appalled that I would write a song called "The Devil's Ride" (which is a cautionary tale) or "In my Blood" (which is a song about sexual temptation and seeking forgiveness for it). Heck, we're human and all of us sin. Why brush it under the carpet? That just pushes folks away from faith because it says, "I'm Christian and I'm better than you." Utter nonsense.

If we stay connected to God, seek His guidance and walk the path that he sets, we are doing what we are supposed to be doing. If along that road people like my lovely, much loved mother and your scratchy, unstable dude, take issue with it, then that's their burden. 

Gosh that was cathartic.   Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9927
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: I just need to rant!!!   I just need to rant!!! I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 01, 2017 8:27 pm

I wish niceboard would have come up with a "LIKE" button at some point. 

I just need to rant!!! Image110
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I just need to rant!!!   I just need to rant!!! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I just need to rant!!!
Page 1 of 1