For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Guilty Pleasures (probably sucks, but you love it anyway)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 686
Registration date : 2007-05-02

PostSubject: Guilty Pleasures (probably sucks, but you love it anyway)   Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:44 am

What music do you love, even though you realize it's so bad that you probably would never introduce it to anyone else? I have a couple.

Tempest - Limited Edition (both their CDs in one) - the second half of this album, which was the Eye of the Storm album, is not so bad. But that first album was awesomely bad, and I love it!

Shadow Wings - Carry On - I think this must have just hit me at a perfect spot in my life. It got me through a dark few months in my senior year and afterwards. If I was hearing this one for the first time now, I'd laugh at it because it is so poorly produced. But the heart behind it is 100% gold. And because of nostalgia and the imprint it made at the time, I love this album. I listen to it from time to time even now.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

Number of posts : 18260
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures (probably sucks, but you love it anyway)   Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:21 am

I can't say that I LOVE the Tempest albums, but I do have them and play them every once and a while.

I do agree with Shadow Wings.  They could play and had a decent sound, but they just didn't have the nack for great songwriting.  They were lacking in that department.

I would add Sometime Sunday to this list.  I love their two albums but you can tell that they were written and recorded in just a matter of days.  Truthfully, in the grand scope of things, they were bad but yet I still like those albums.  They reminded me of a much gruffer Rose.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Fundy

Number of posts : 3765
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures (probably sucks, but you love it anyway)   Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:22 pm

Without a doubt...

Holy Danger!

The demos are TERRIBLE, but I love the vocal journey from them to Echo Hollow!

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 3005
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures (probably sucks, but you love it anyway)   Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:45 pm

Saint - The Perfect Life

This was the first time that Josh Kramer wasn't the vocalist.  It had a different feel to it.  But I thought it was and still is a great release.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Number of posts : 3270
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures (probably sucks, but you love it anyway)   Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:15 pm

I can't think of a guilty pleasure.  I either like it or I don't.  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.derekclose.com
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures (probably sucks, but you love it anyway)   Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:59 pm

Through The Dark Radio wrote:
Saint - The Perfect Life

This was the first time that Josh Kramer wasn't the vocalist.  It had a different feel to it.  But I thought it was and still is a great release.

I liked a couple of songs on that EP and wish they'd redo the whole thing. What killed it for me was the drum machine that sounded like a machine.  You have to have some variation to fool the listener with drum programming, and that album just didn't have it.  I'd love to hear those tracks redone with Josh on vox and a real drummer.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures (probably sucks, but you love it anyway)   Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:53 am

alldatndensum wrote:
Through The Dark Radio wrote:
Saint - The Perfect Life

I liked a couple of songs on that EP and wish they'd redo the whole thing. What killed it for me was the drum machine that sounded like a machine.  You have to have some variation to fool the listener with drum programming, and that album just didn't have it.  I'd love to hear those tracks redone with Josh on vox and a real drummer.

Maybe they could get Robert Sweet to do the drums  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Samson

Number of posts : 619
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures (probably sucks, but you love it anyway)   Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:44 pm

Yes, I listened to this religiously during my teen years.
Back to top Go down
https://gabrielkinson.wordpress.com/
rockerVu2

Number of posts : 14729
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures (probably sucks, but you love it anyway)   Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:30 am

Maybe some very old and bad secular hard rock bands.
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

Number of posts : 1755
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures (probably sucks, but you love it anyway)   Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:19 am

Agree on Perfect Life. I spin it every once in a blue moon. I really like "To Live Forever" on "Desperate Night". I heard they also re-did "The Runner" but for some reason didn't put it on there.

Crossforce is another. I think I got it for 5 bucks from Roxx. I played it a few times and it just isn't very good but I like to play it from time to time for that "cassette sound" feel that it has (even tho it is a CD it is obviously from a cassette).
Back to top Go down
Jaybird78

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2017-10-19

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures (probably sucks, but you love it anyway)   Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:19 pm

Contagious - Free Indeed.  Horrible singer but catchy songs.

I second that for Tempest - Eye Of The Storm.  I don't understand why that album gets so much flak. Sounds like every other hair metal band in 1988.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Number of posts : 18284
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures (probably sucks, but you love it anyway)   Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:11 pm

I do have a handful of demos from local (secular bands) that I really dig that have horrible production, and sometimes questionable talent.  I doubt anyone here would have half a clue who/what they are.

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures (probably sucks, but you love it anyway)   Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:11 pm

Jaybird78 wrote:

I second that for Tempest - Eye Of The Storm.  I don't understand why that album gets so much flak. Sounds like every other hair metal band in 1988.

Welcome to the board Jay!

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures (probably sucks, but you love it anyway)   Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:21 pm

Staybrite wrote:
I do have a handful of demos from local (secular bands) that I really dig that have horrible production, and sometimes questionable talent.  I doubt anyone here would have half a clue who/what they are.
I might know some of them.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures (probably sucks, but you love it anyway)   Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:59 pm

Quote :

I will give you that he wasn't a great singer, but part of it is they have too much reverb on his voice and should probably have brought the mid range in his voice out when they EQ'd and mixed the album.  I am going to run this through the mastering software and see if that changes anything for me.

Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures (probably sucks, but you love it anyway)   Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:06 pm

Mercy Rule
Traxter

Both of these would fit this category.

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures (probably sucks, but you love it anyway)   Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:30 am

Xid wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
I might know some of them.

You just might.  One of the main albums I was thinking of was this local band compilation that has some rather cringe-worthy recordings....but I still really dig almost everything on it.

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures (probably sucks, but you love it anyway)   Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:29 am

I remember hearing of Lipstick, Overlord, Mace & Metal Church from the Northwest Scene.

Poorly or low quality recorded good music is much better than a good recording of poor music.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures (probably sucks, but you love it anyway)   Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:43 am

Xid wrote:
I remember hearing of Lipstick, Overlord, Mace & Metal Church from the Northwest Scene.

Poorly or low quality recorded good music is much better than a good recording of poor music.

Definitely!  Headbang Headbang

Number of posts : 8922
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures (probably sucks, but you love it anyway)   Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:09 pm

Samson mentioned Wiley. I got a lot of albums people would think suck today, but like Stephen Wiley, they're just "dated".  I personally LOVE the first SFC album "Listen Up". D-Boy's first release is dated also, but I love "Plantin' a Seed".  There's also a dance rap band called On Fire - Dance Like David... total cheese, but I still dig it. Also like the Rap-Sures  Embarassed Laughing
I've found that many I've tried to share their music with, absolutely hate ApologetiX. I don't know why. I know their early stuff was dreadful, but their newer material has talent. But friends and family I've shared them with, dislike them.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures (probably sucks, but you love it anyway)   Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:55 am

Quote :
I've found that many I've tried to share their music with, absolutely hate ApologetiX. I don't know why. I know their early stuff was dreadful, but their newer material has talent. But friends and family I've shared them with, dislike them.

Some of the early Apologetix recordings WERE dreadful and done on a shoestring budget.  However, with digital computerized recording almost anyone CAN sound like a pro.

The reason people don't like them is somewhat the same as with Weird Al.  People get all up in arms when their favorite artist gets the treatment from him.  They hate that he is making fun of that artist.  However, Al usually gets permission from the artist just because he is a good guy like that.  He has had people tell him that they'd prefer not to be parodied and he would move to a more well receiving candidate.

With Apologetix, the dislike is twofold.  People don't like their favorite bands and songs being parodied.  Then, you get the people that dislike them because Apologetix takes themselves pretty seriously as a ministry.  They used to try to ocome off more as funny but that is almost gone.  The funny part is how they weave the Bible into that original song.  Folks get all bent out of shape because they feel that Apologetix should be more like Weird Al and just go for funny.  Sure, I like some of the funny/cheesy lyrics the best, but I still like their music.   I DO wish that they'd write an all original album just once to prove to the naysayers that they could do it.

Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures (probably sucks, but you love it anyway)   Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:29 pm

Quote :
Then, you get the people that dislike them because Apologetix takes themselves pretty seriously as a ministry. 

Very true. Some previous fellow employees were put off, despite the songs sounding nearly indistinguishable from the originals, that the lyrics were "Christian" (ooohhhh, scaryyy !!  Rolling Eyes  )

Quote :
I DO wish that they'd write an all original album just once to prove to the naysayers that they could do it.

Not sure why there'd be any naysayers in the 1st place. Besides the band nailing everything in the studio, they rock in concert as well (even playing tunes live that they've never recorded) also Bill Hubauer and Jimmy Tanner were originally members of the CCM band "Ten point Ten". While the band wasn't really my thing taste-wise, they were really good.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures (probably sucks, but you love it anyway)   Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:32 pm

Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures (probably sucks, but you love it anyway)   Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:23 am

Jim brought up a band on Facebook that might fit into this category.  Xinr.  Not X-Sinner, but pronounced the same way.  They did a couple of demo tapes in the 80s that finally saw a CD release in 2008.  Production wise it was pretty rough but I dig it.  I am working on running through the remastering process just to smooth it up a little.  I am afraid that, since the CD was taken from those old tapes, that I can't do much for it.  I will try, though.

Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures (probably sucks, but you love it anyway)   Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:40 am

Jaybird78 wrote:

Gotta agree with that.  Their EP (Be Ready) seemed better to me.  But I do love the title track off of Free Indeed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures (probably sucks, but you love it anyway)   

Back to top Go down

Guilty Pleasures (probably sucks, but you love it anyway)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next