Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Random Ramblings

Go down 
+17
crucifyd
Samson
kerrick
Hardkore
Jen5
Oldiesmann
MikeInFla
ishmael81
Fundy
Guilty/Forgiven
Xid
alldatndensum
rockerVu2
messiaen77
Driven
Through The Dark Radio
Staybrite
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9927
Registration date : 2007-05-18

Random Ramblings - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2018 11:44 pm

Sorry you had to experience a loss Vonnie. Funerals suck. I count myself blessed to have not lost any close family in over 20 years. But I always have that nagging thought in the back of my mind that any day I'm gonna get that phone call.... I really hate death
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2018 5:26 pm

I haven't been to a funeral in almost 4 years, I think. That was a particularly sad one, as it was a friend who had committed suicide (on the same day as Robin Williams' death, too). Before that, it would've been relatives, including my grandparents.
Back to top Go down
Hardkore

Hardkore

Number of posts : 2553
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2018 10:38 am

*sigh*, I have gotten to the point that I had to get glasses just for reading. Most everything I am OK with but when it comes to reading small print ,whether it is on paper or a mobile, it is a bit blurry.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23441
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2018 10:41 am

If it were not for reading and seeing small parts, I wouldn't need glasses either.  It sucks to be getting older.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23373
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2018 12:15 pm

I had to get bi-focals last year myself.  Just part of getting older...like battle scars.

Driven

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2018 1:10 pm

I need to get an eye exam soon, myself. The screens are not helping my case.
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3111
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2018 1:10 pm

Staybrite wrote:
I had to get bi-focals last year myself.  Just part of getting older...like battle scars.

Same here... Here's what is odd. Without glasses or contacts I can't see 20 feet away but I can see up close perfect. Been wearing contacts since i was about 18 or 19. But last year I had problems seeing up-close with contacts. So if I wear them (or my glasses) I can see far away but not up close. And if I don't wear them I can't see far away but can see fine up close.

So I tried bifocal contacts. A little strange as it takes 5 to 10 seconds for your eyes to focus far away when wearing them. Which isn't good if you're looking for a street sign. So I ended up telling them I didn't like them and to give me regular contacts. I also have bifocal glasses which I wear most of the time. I figured with my contacts I could just use readers (which I do and they are very cheap). The problem is I leave them on my desk at work and anytime I leave or go to a store I can't seen anything up close. So most of the time I just wear my glasses but I would prefer contacts. I am due to go back to the eye doctor again and I might try the bifocal contacts again.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2018 2:10 pm

With all the allergy problems I have, I cannot wear contacts.  My eyes during the spring and summer just produce too much junk and I have to keep using allergy drops.  So, no contacts for me.

As for bifocals, I had to get my first pair 5 years ago right after I broke my ankle.  I had to get used to them while swinging on my crutches.  It really wasn't that difficult. I get progressive bifocals so that there is no line visible.  Supposedly this is easier to use than traditional lined bifocal lenses. 

As for quality of vision, I can see in front of me and at a distance extremely well.  I just can't see things close up.  If my arm were twice as long, I might could read without my glasses.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23373
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2018 3:03 pm

I have a moderate astigmatism (odd curvature of the eye) and I've never been able to get contacts to work for me.  My wife tried the bifocal contacts and she didn't have much luck with them...she ended up just giving in and getting glasses.

Driven

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2018 9:36 pm

I think I'd go for glasses anyway. Contacts seem like more hassle from what I can tell. Although knowing me, I'd lose my glasses lickety-split.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 7:27 am

Driven wrote:
I think I'd go for glasses anyway. Contacts seem like more hassle from what I can tell. Although knowing me, I'd lose my glasses lickety-split.

You would think that I would do the same as I am the type of guy who can set something down almost in front of myself and then cannot find it.  I don't know how I ever got good at geocaching.  But, since I love to read, I wear my glasses all the time.  Keeping up with them is easy.  When I just used reading glasses, it was easy to misplace those.

Quote :
I have a moderate astigmatism (odd curvature of the eye) and I've never been able to get contacts to work for me.  My wife tried the bifocal contacts and she didn't have much luck with them...she ended up just giving in and getting glasses.

I have mild ones in both eyes now.  My wife has moderate astigmatisms like you.  She has always work contacts until her most recent exam a year ago.  She just couldn't wear anything they gave her, and she tried several different kinds.  She has a bifocal, but she can't read anything using them.  I seriously don't think that the prescription is right, but she is too darn stubborn to go back.

Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2018 9:12 pm

I had a somewhat productive day.  I went to Shoney's for breakfast, bought an auger to clean out a toilet, went to the hardware store to buy a snake so I could clean out the pipes below the toilet to help it flush, then drove 60 miles to pick up new box springs for a warranty claim, brought them back home (also 60 miles) and got the springs and mattress put back on the bed, washed 2 loads of clothes, prepared my lesson for tonight with the youth, got a shower, and even transferred my wife's Straight Talk plan from a GSM to CDMA SIM so that she can get texts at work.

I am tired just from reading that!

Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2018 10:08 pm

MikeInFla wrote:
Staybrite wrote:

Same here... Here's what is odd. Without glasses or contacts I can't see 20 feet away but I can see up close perfect. Been wearing contacts since i was about 18 or 19. But last year I had problems seeing up-close with contacts. So if I wear them (or my glasses) I can see far away but not up close. And if I don't wear them I can't see far away but can see fine up close.

So I tried bifocal contacts. A little strange as it takes 5 to 10 seconds for your eyes to focus far away when wearing them. Which isn't good if you're looking for a street sign. So I ended up telling them I didn't like them and to give me regular contacts. I also have bifocal glasses which I wear most of the time. I figured with my contacts I could just use readers (which I do and they are very cheap). The problem is I leave them on my desk at work and anytime I leave or go to a store I can't seen anything up close. So most of the time I just wear my glasses but I would prefer contacts. I am due to go back to the eye doctor again and I might try the bifocal contacts again.
I'm in the same boat.  I sat in choir practice this evening with my glasses perched on top of my head so I could see the dadgummed music.  Last night I was finishing up my son's new Lego set (he asked me to, I didn't just take over) and I was sitting at the kitchen table with my glasses on so I could see the pile of Legos but also with my readers over the bottom of my glasses so I could see the instructions.  It was like homemade bifocals I guess.

The way my optometrist explained it is that being far sighted or near sighted is a matter of the shape of your eyes and whether or not the focal point hits in the right place naturally.  With the close up vision issues, when you get into usually your forties, the lens starts to become less flexible and more rigid, so our eyes lose the ability to fine-tune the focus, which means we cant focus up close as easily.

As for readers, I have several friends who buy five or six pairs and then just leave one in places they might need them--in their desks at work, around the house, in their cars, purses, etc.
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3111
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2018 6:48 am

Yeah, I bought a 4 pack of readers and planned on leaving them around. And they are around, currently all 4 pairs are on my desk at work LOL! Wore contacts the last several days, glasses today.

I was in the same boat with a Lego set. Daughter needed help and it turns out several parts were missing. It's a set she got for Christmas. Turns out several pieces are missing and all the stickers. After investigating the package further I can tell it was OPENED, pieces and stickers taken out then re-taped shut and returned. What is odd about this? I bought it online at Walmart.com! You would think they wouldn't sell used merchandise. So i have called Lego about 4 different times and they have sent 4 different replacements but we are STILL missing pieces and all the stickers. She is very disappointed. Lego even offered to send a brand new set for free but then they told me it is out of stock and they don't know when it will be back (if ever).
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2018 10:16 am

Quote :

As for readers, I have several friends who buy five or six pairs and then just leave one in places they might need them--in their desks at work, around the house, in their cars, purses, etc.

I won't buy over the counter reading glasses.  They don't take into consideration your actual prescription.  Also, when you buy real glasses, they mark the distance between your pupils so that you actually are looking through the correct focal point on your lenses.  Readers don't do that, either.  You can do a lot of long term damage using those.  I won't do it.

Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

Number of posts : 1710
Registration date : 2017-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2018 4:19 am

MikeInFla wrote:

Hi y'all. Been keeping my head down the last few weeks. How are ya's?

Mike, I have an optometrist friend who says bifocal contacts can be really frustrating because a contact is constantly moving around on the eye. Instead, he sometimes prescribes one distance contact lens and one reading contact lens. After a minute or two the brain usually adjusts to seeing distance through one eye and close up through the other. There are some people whose brain doesn't make the adjustment so he gives a trial pair of disposable lenses to them so they can see if it's right for them.

He also said that while it's a good solution for everyday going about town, it's not great for computer work. So, if you use computers for work, then it's not the solution.
Back to top Go down
bassdude

bassdude

Number of posts : 614
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2018 9:45 am

I have really bad astigmatism, along with glaucoma, and have been wearing bifocals for about 4 years. Also found out I am diabetic about a month ago, so getting my blood sugar under control has helped my vision a lot, after an adjustment period where everything was kind of blurry while my eyes adjusted.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16553
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2018 4:18 pm

Welcome back bassdude.
It's good to see you again on CHM.
Back to top Go down
bassdude

bassdude

Number of posts : 614
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2018 6:19 pm

Glad to be back
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2018 9:41 am

Jen5 wrote:
MikeInFla wrote:

Doing well.  You?  Hope you got some good stuff done.
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2018 10:29 am

Getting all academic-y now.  I just finished my proposal for a chapter I was asked to contribute to a book on Christian punk.  Next up, working on my Duke Ellington paper for a conference in a few weeks.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2018 4:08 pm

Yippee, today it's finally spring.
I've been waiting for this day since the beginning of November.
Finally the cold gloomy winter is over.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2018 4:08 pm

Yippee, today it's finally spring.
I've been waiting for this day since the beginning of November.
Finally the cold gloomy winter is over.
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2018 4:33 pm

Up here, the weather doesn't care about when the vernal equinox (first day of spring) is. We had a cold snap last week bringing us down to about 0°F for a bit, but things should warm up from here on.
Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

Number of posts : 1710
Registration date : 2017-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2018 5:13 pm

messiaen77 wrote:
Jen5 wrote:
Doing well.  You?  Hope you got some good stuff done.

DEFinitely got some good stuff done. One song mixed (it's the 6+ minute epic ending called "Erased") and another (Behind the Veil) nearly ready for mixing (tomorrow??? if the stars align) and another (Spellbinder) rewritten and ready to record. With those done, we'll be able to announce a release date. Phew and yay!

Here's an unmastered sample on my Soundcloud. Sorry I can't post more of the vocal, but this is taken from the last song of the album. I wouldn't want to give the ending of the story away. This sample starts about 2/3rds the way through the song and cuts off before the last verse starts, but you'll get the idea.   Smile

https://soundcloud.com/jennystokes-nz/erased-unmastered-sample/s-RA8DH

...and here's a sample of a work in progress called "Spellbinder" that I've been wrestling with the last few days. These are just dry test vocals with a preset reverb added to lift the vocals in the mix (just for the sample). I'm hoping to record the final vocal track next week. Fingers crossed

https://soundcloud.com/jennystokes-nz/spellbinder-vocal-test-2/s-XaqUX
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 15 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Random Ramblings
Page 15 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27 ... 40  Next