Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How did you discover it?

Go down 
+5
JLE3
alldatndensum
MikeInFla
Xid
rockerVu2
9 posters
AuthorMessage
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16553
Registration date : 2007-02-09

How did you discover it? Empty
PostSubject: How did you discover it?   How did you discover it? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2018 8:25 am

How did you discover the Christian music?

What were the first Christian bands you listend too and bought CDs or maybe it were cassettes from?

Do you still like tose bands?
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5505
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover it?   How did you discover it? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2018 10:15 am

When I was getting into music my mom tried to steer me to listen to Christian radio.  Of course, at the time they only played slow, sappy songs.  I couldn't stand it.  Then my friend's mom got him DMZ by Resurrection Band.  We loved it!  My first Christian album I purchased was Rez's Live Bootleg.  Then another friend played me Stryper's Yellow & Black Attack.  

I have DMZ on CD now but haven't listened to it in a while.  There's a lot of the old music I have a hard time listening to these days.  There's stuff I used to love where now I'm like, meh.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3111
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover it?   How did you discover it? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2018 11:41 am

From my youth pastor. I was around 12 or 13. We went on a church trip and it was my first one. I had some cassettes with me (Led Zep, Styx and The Who). My youth pastor said "Man, those are some great bands! You like some cool music!". He was also a drummer for a Christian Band at the time called Vessel. They were a local Knoxville, TN band. They kind of reminded me of U2 or Crowded House (this was the mid 80's).

He exposed me to Petra. I liked some of their songs but I wanted something a little more heavy. He had some records of Petra and Rez. I liked Rez OK but still wanted something heavier.

One day I was in the record store looking around. I found an EP on vinyl by Stryper - Reason For The Season. I knew they were Christian but had never heard them and had never seen them. I was intrigued by their look on the album cover so I bought it. I took it home, played it and was completely blown away! To this DAY Reason For The Season is my favorite Stryper tune.

After that I discovered Pure Metal Records and Intense Records and you can say the rest is history. I tried to buy about anything on those labels whenever I saw something new come out. There was no internet so I would just look at the record store or the Christian Book Store. At that time you could sample cassette tapes and get to listen to some demos. Many times I wouldn't even sample them I would just buy them. One exception was Mad At The World. I saw their first cassette and asked the older man in the store if they were heavy rock. He said yes they were very heavy. I asked for a demo and there wasn't one (they didn't look metal on the album cover). So I blindly bought it and didn't like it at all. I wasn't into Depeche Mode or anything of that style so I hated it and didn't even give the whole thing a listen. I gave that cassette to a girl in my youth group.  (As I am now older I have come to appreciate that style of MATW and now don't hate it but I have to be in the mood for it).

I still have a cassette of my youth pastor's band Vessel. I ripped it to mp3. I did a google search for them and nothing came up but they do have a my space page which is old but has some songs and videos on it.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23441
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover it?   How did you discover it? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 17, 2018 7:57 am

My first exposure to Christian music was through Stryper.  They were getting attention in Hit Parader and Circus magazines.  That caused a buddy of mine to buy one of their cassettes and we jammed on it in his car.  I ended up getting the same cassettes.  It was just another band with a different schtick back then to me.

A few years later, I was going through a hard time with depression.  I felt like God was leading me to check out some Christian rock, so I headed to a Family Christian Bookstore.  They had this display with a huge sale on Intense Records releases like Ken Tamplin/Shout, Recon, Sacred Warrior, Idle Cure, etc.  I bought 10 cassettes because they had them on sale for like $4 each.  All the albums in Christian bookstores back then had "buy 4 get one free" coupons on the back.  So, I used the coupons to pick up a Petra and Whitecross tape, too.  While I don't listen to Sacred Warrior or Recon that often, I still love all the rest of what I picked up back then.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
JLE3

JLE3

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2016-11-16

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover it?   How did you discover it? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 17, 2018 9:08 pm

For me it was Stryper as well. And I agree with alldat in that at the time (80's) I really liked them but I felt it was a schtick but not in a bad way, I just thought that was their gimmick.

In a separate thread I mentioned their hollow guitar tone on the new single and their history with that tone. But I do remember blasting To Hell With The Devil in my truck (which I had appropriately jazzed up with HUGE speakers in the back and a 600w amp along with 10 band EQ - and yes if you are wondering I had a killer mullet to go along with it). But I do remember how awesome that album sounded with making a few EQ adjustments. I was spreading the word up and down the main street in my small town with it CRANKED!!!!

After some time I came to really really appreciate Michael Sweet. Amazing voice, great guitar player, and all around the type of guy that I just respected. I became sick of the silly 'bad boy' rock bands and that whole thing. Although some of those bands have now matured and I'm back into their newer stuff because of it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.evansandstokes.com
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3869
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover it?   How did you discover it? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2018 10:56 pm

Stryper I guess but the glam facade really turned me off for a really long time. I also got Rez Band Bootleg while attending a national broadcasting convention with my high school station but I had no idea they were Christian.

I was attending church at the time (even the youth Deacon), but wasn't saved.

Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23373
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover it?   How did you discover it? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2018 1:33 pm

Mine was Stryper as well, but I wasn't a Christian back then (high school).  Strangely enough the guy who played the "Soldiers Under Command" album for me wasn't a Christian either (and still isn't).  We were both instantly hooked though and are both still fans of the band.

Oddly enough I had no idea any other Christian metal/hard rock bands even existed until about 2003.  While still in high school (probably around 1985) a Christian friend tried to get me to go to a Petra & Leon Patillo concert.  He played me music from both bands.  Petra sounded alright, but I didn't want anything to do with Leon Patillo.  I was listening to Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, and Judas Priest....If Leon Patillo was the closest he could get to hard rock I wasn't impressed.  Oddly enough around the same time I went to work for a guy who was a relatively new Christian and he had two cassettes in his work van.  One of which was White Heart's "Hot Line".  I thought the album was fantastic and purchased a cassette copy for myself.

It wasn't until around 2003 that I became a Christian (about time, I had been going to church with my wife since our daughter was born in 1996).  I started playing guitar with the modern worship band at church doing all the standards: Chris Tomlin, Big Daddy Weave, Audio Adrenaline....and to my surprise Third Day.  After a few years I felt convicted to get rid of all my secular music.  It left me with 5 Stryper discs, two Third Day albums, a Chris Tomlin cd, and that lone White Heart Cassette.  I had let go of about 300 cds and it left a huge musical void in my life.  I started hitting up the internet and found that there were actually quite a few Christian metal/hard rock bands out there.  I purchased several albums without hardly hearing any of the music (just samples).  Within a month or show I had Rose's "Healing", Whitecross "Hammer & Nail", Narnia's "Awakening", P.K. Mitchells' "All Hail the Power" and Tourniquet's "Where Moth & Rust Destroy".  I was very happy, and have continued to collect and listed to great Christian rock & metal artists ever since.

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16553
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover it?   How did you discover it? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2018 3:39 pm

The first Christian hard rock band I've listened to was Stryper.
In that time I was involved in a band of guys from church.

At one day the drummer of the band stopped by with some CDs.
I listened to the CDs and loved the music.
The same sound as my old secular hard rock bands, only with Christian lyrics.
Then it was Bride and Siloam I've listened too.
In all those years I've collected a collection of great Christian hard rock or metal music.
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover it?   How did you discover it? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 28, 2018 10:02 am

My first Christian cassette was actually Christy Lane's Footprints in the Sand.  After that I think it was Amy Grant's Age to Age.  When I started going to youth group at my church, the youth minister and some friends turned me on to Petra, D&K, Whiteheart.  We had a music library where we could check out cassettes our youth minister got from the Word Record and Tape club, so that's where I discovered Undercover and The 77s.  One of my friends bought Rez's Live Bootleg and played it for me and I've been hooked on hard music ever since.  In college, our campus radio station did Christian music on Sundays, progressing from traditional gospel in the mornings to hard and heavy stuff late at night.  I worked the hard rock/lighter metal shift for a couple of years and got to know some new music that way.
Back to top Go down
bassdude

bassdude

Number of posts : 614
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover it?   How did you discover it? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2018 1:29 pm

My parents were super strict about music...the most intense stuff I was allowed to have up until I was 14-15 was Leon Patillo or the Imperials.
I was finally allowed to buy Petra's Never Say Die album on my 15th birthday...and things just kind of snowballed from there...the next summer at youth camp, one of the "cool kids" from a larger church in our Baptist association pulled in on Monday morning with Stryper's The Yellow And Black Attack cranked up and I remember thinking it was the coolest thing I had ever heard.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover it?   How did you discover it? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How did you discover it?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: The BUZZ!!! Music that ROCKS your face off!-
Jump to: