For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Prayer for daughter

Go down 
AuthorMessage
MikeInFla

Number of posts : 1869
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Prayer for daughter   Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:58 am

Hi all..... On Friday my 8 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. She is still in the hospital as they try to regulate her blood sugar. Gonna keep it short but prayers for my family please. This is a major life changing event. The disease will never go away so I ask for prayers for us to be strong and make all the right decisions and that God watches over her... She's a trooper and tough as nails. She gave herself her first shot last night and that is very positive.

Thanks,

Mike
Back to top Go down
bassdude

Number of posts : 477
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for daughter   Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:44 am

I have a niece who was diagnosed Type 1 at about the same age, she has an insulin pump and does really well with it. She's 11 now and plays volleyball and softball with no real issues.
I just was diagnosed with Type 2 about a month ago...it is a big lifestyle change, but if you can keep a good attitude about it it's not too difficult.
Praying for your family.
Back to top Go down
Fundy

Number of posts : 3883
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for daughter   Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:39 am

Praying here too.

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
Staybrite

Number of posts : 18635
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for daughter   Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:32 pm

Sad news, will be praying brother.

Number of posts : 3464
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for daughter   Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:15 pm

Will do!
Back to top Go down
http://www.derekclose.com
alldatndensum
Admin

Number of posts : 18695
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for daughter   Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:50 pm

Definitely praying, Mike!!!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
MikeInFla

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for daughter   Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:17 am

Thanks all! She came home yesterday afternoon. She was so excited to have her "little pack" that carries her supplies (blood monitor, etc). This will be the new norm for us. My wife slept in her room last night to keep an eye on her and check her blood sugar every few hours. We all  have been so exhausted since Friday.

She is a pro at giving herself the injections. I gave myself some as well (practice of course, no insulin) and it's such a small needle you barely feel it. It's not like a flu shot or tetanus shot (those hurt!). The only one that hasn't practiced yet is our 16 year old but she needs to know how to do it. Right now just adjusting to life with diabetes.

One thing positive out of all of this is there is a guy I work with and his daughter has it. She is 23 and was diagnosed when she was 6. She happens to be a nurse at the hospital (but not pediatric nurse) and she came by to visit and show her pump and answered a TON of questions for us. We will eventually go to the pump but she will have to have injections for the first year. This is just how it is because others with the pump have told us you have to wait and build up records of sugar levels.

And continue to put us on your prayer list as we learn because this is now a part of our lives as she will have it her whole life.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

Number of posts : 14927
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for daughter   Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:20 am

Your daughter is in my prayers Mike.
It's is hard for her and for the family too.

My niece was diagnosed with diabetes type 1 on the same age as your daughter.
My niece is using an insuline pump instead of giving herself shots. It works well.
She's 24 now.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

Number of posts : 3413

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for daughter   Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:08 pm

Glad she’s home Mike but will continue to pray.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for daughter   Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:02 pm

It sounds like you are all handling it very well.  Nice to have the visit from your coworker's daughter.  Praying you will manage to get some rest and can all settle into your new "normal".

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for daughter   Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:22 am

She wanted to go to school today so my wife let her. My wife is actually a teacher at her school (my wife teaches 7th grade). My wife has a sub today and is staying with her all day to monitor her. On Monday should be business as usual. Wife back to teaching and Autumn back to class -- Autumn's class is literally only 30 yards from my wife's classroom and will come by for injections or sugar readings. Again, keep us in prayer. All of the other "bothers" in our lives no longer matter. All that matters is keeping her alive.
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for daughter   Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:14 am

So far so good. The doctor doesn't want her sugar to go below 100 and we've done a good job of counting carbs. The thing is, if you don't understand diabetes (like me for most of my life) you think all sugar is bad. That isn't the case -- it's carbs. For example- I had some "sugar free" maple syrup. No sugar but 28 grams of carbs. And I always assumed diabetics couldn't have sugar. You just have to count it. Too much sugar causes it to go high. Too low of sugar and they need some. She has done well, today she will be back at school. She went to school last Thursday but my wife was with her all day. Today she is going to class alone and my wife back to teach her class but luckily she is very close to her room. It got a little high in church yesterday (394) and a quick shot of insulin brought it down (there was a pancake breakfast at church and we used no carb syrup but had prob miscounted the pancake -- you really don't know how much it has so it is kind of a guess). We do a lot of "hey Google, how many carbs are in a pancake" and it pops up on the phone. For everything else we read labels. Continue to pray as we adjust to a new life style.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for daughter   Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:27 pm

Still praying for you brother, I know this is a challenge.

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for daughter   Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:11 pm

MikeInFla wrote:
So far so good. The doctor doesn't want her sugar to go below 100 and we've done a good job of counting carbs. The thing is, if you don't understand diabetes (like me for most of my life) you think all sugar is bad. That isn't the case -- it's carbs. For example- I had some "sugar free" maple syrup. No sugar but 28 grams of carbs. And I always assumed diabetics couldn't have sugar. You just have to count it. Too much sugar causes it to go high. Too low of sugar and they need some. She has done well, today she will be back at school. She went to school last Thursday but my wife was with her all day. Today she is going to class alone and my wife back to teach her class but luckily she is very close to her room. It got a little high in church yesterday (394) and a quick shot of insulin brought it down (there was a pancake breakfast at church and we used no carb syrup but had prob miscounted the pancake -- you really don't know how much it has so it is kind of a guess). We do a lot of "hey Google, how many carbs are in a pancake" and it pops up on the phone. For everything else we read labels. Continue to pray as we adjust to a new life style.
You're totally correct about the carbs...I can deal with sweet things like hard candy or chocolate without causing my blood sugar to go up very much at all, 20-40 points or so, but bread or potatoes will skyrocket me over 200 and keep me up there for a couple of hours.
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for daughter   Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:00 am

bassdude wrote:
MikeInFla wrote:
You're totally correct about the carbs...I can deal with sweet things like hard candy or chocolate without causing my blood sugar to go up very much at all, 20-40 points or so, but bread or potatoes will skyrocket me over 200 and keep me up there for a couple of hours.
Last night my wife didn't want it to drop during the night. At bedtime it was around 100. So before bed she was rewarded with a fudgesicle! At 1am was around 170. Also physical activity can cause it to drop. Was a little low yesterday so she had to sit out at PE which is her favorite class Sad But other than that we are dealing with it the best we can. Had to buy Glucagon yesterday, $600. I have a high deductible insurance plan and have hit the deductible already but the problem is all of it hasn't been submitted to insurance yet. Once it is I should get a good portion of it back. We have a Health Savings Account. Never thought I would use it, it has just been collecting money for the last 3 years and now I am so glad that I have it. Her insulin "pens" were gonna be $1000 for 3 of them. So the Dr's office gave us 3 of them for free. I told them I hit deductible but didn't wanna shell out $1000 yet because everything hasn't cleared yet with BCBS.
Back to top Go down
bassdude

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for daughter   Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:22 am

MikeInFla wrote:
bassdude wrote:
MikeInFla wrote:
Last night my wife didn't want it to drop during the night. At bedtime it was around 100. So before bed she was rewarded with a fudgesicle! At 1am was around 170. Also physical activity can cause it to drop. Was a little low yesterday so she had to sit out at PE which is her favorite class Sad But other than that we are dealing with it the best we can. Had to buy Glucagon yesterday, $600. I have a high deductible insurance plan and have hit the deductible already but the problem is all of it hasn't been submitted to insurance yet. Once it is I should get a good portion of it back. We have a Health Savings Account. Never thought I would use it, it has just been collecting money for the last 3 years and now I am so glad that I have it. Her insulin "pens" were gonna be $1000 for 3 of them. So the Dr's office gave us 3 of them for free. I told them I hit deductible but didn't wanna shell out $1000 yet because everything hasn't cleared yet with BCBS.
Don't be discouraged, this will all soon become routine and life will go on. My niece is very active in sports and plays softball and volleyball, she just has to dose appropriately for the level of activity and maybe have a snack so she doesn't drop too much. I can't imagine how scary it would be as a kid to find out you're diabetic, scared the crap out of me at age 46.
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for daughter   Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:07 am

I actually think it might be easier on kids that adults. We talk positive about it and never let her see us upset about it. Plus at a young age it is easier for her to become disciplined at it as opposed to an adult. It's a good thing shes positive about it. She has no idea of the consequences she just knows she needs insulin and has to count carbs. The doctor is moving forward on a pump for her. I think it is a little early for that but maybe it's a drawn out process. She will need one but it is best to wait 6 months to a year to see exactly what it is they need dosage-wise. And the prices of pumps. WOW, you could get a good used car for the prices they want for pumps!
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for daughter   Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:17 am

Just an update, things going as well as they can. On Saturdays we go to the Humane Society to walk dogs (my 16 year old gets volunteer hours for school, will help with scholarships when she graduates).

When we left we headed to Lowe's and Home Depot (we had a new heat pump put in yesterday, our old AC unit was about to die. 18 years old - and that is all is was, an AC with heating coils and electric bills in Jan, Feb are terrible -- so I decided to have it replaced with a heat pump and hated to spend over $4000 on a new unit but we gotta have our AC!). So I went to these stores looking for new air filters and no one in town has the size I need. With all this running around and physical activity I had her check her blood sugar and it was 82, which is lower than she should be. We keep glucose tablets handy and I gave her 2. She loves them and says they taste like Sweet Tarts. 2 tablets have 8 carbs. I told my older daughter to text mom and tell her it was 82 so my wife said for her to eat some raisins. It's a healthy snack, has carbs and will last longer than the glucose tabs. At bedtime last night she was 255. Not quite enough for a shot, plus with no activity and no food at night it can drop so we decided not to give her a shot.

We attended our first "class" last week on carbohydrates and it was very informative. There are different types -- those that act very fast, but don't last long (candy bars), those that have not as many carbs but last longer (apples) and we learned about startchy foods. The dietician said she can still eat what she wants and gave us a website that has the carbs from all of the major chain resturants. The problem with that is we went to a local pizzaria on Friday night and had to guess. So to compare I looked up Pizza Hut thin crust supreme (since we were ordered a thin crust supreme -- we love pan or hand tossed but that has way to many carbs). This was our first time going out to eat since she has been home and it was a success. She only ate 3 square slices.

One other thing we notice is that blood test strips are EXPENSIVE! 100 of them cost 80 bucks at Walmart and insurance doesn't pay for them since they are over the counter. We check it quite a bit because we are still new to this but we are told we will get around to checking it less and less, normally before meals, bedtime and middle of the night. What is a huge pain is when one of the strips fails and you have to do it over. You waste a strip.

We are making the best of this and trying to learn all we can and give her a normal of a life as possible.
Back to top Go down
bassdude

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for daughter   Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:38 pm

Test strips are stupid expensive....and there are so many different meters that use different strips and the prices are all over the place.
I got a True Metrix GO meter from CVS for 10 bucks, and the strips I can get on Amazon for $9 for 50 strips...that's the cheapest I've found so far.
I've looked into a subscription service called MySugr that sends you a meter and unlimited supply of strips, along with an app for your phone that allows you to track everything for $40 per month...haven't pulled the trigger on that yet, but thinking about it.
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for daughter   Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:41 pm

Sounds interesting might have to look into that. Sure beats buying 50 strips for $38 or 100 for $80. We use a Verio One Touch. It does good and has a nice screen but the strips are too high.
Back to top Go down
bassdude

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for daughter   Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:43 pm

MikeInFla wrote:
Sounds interesting might have to look into that. Sure beats buying 50 strips for $38 or 100 for $80. We use a Verio One Touch. It does good and has a nice screen but the strips are too high.
Yeah, they gave me a Verio at the Dr's office, but the strips are stupid...I'm keeping it as a backup, but not using it regularly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prayer for daughter   

Back to top Go down

Prayer for daughter
Page 1 of 1