Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Crossed over to the dark side

Go down 
+10
Fundy
Guilty/Forgiven
topshot rhit
rockerVu2
alldatndensum
Black Rider
MikeInFla
Xid
Staybrite
Samson
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Samson

Samson

Number of posts : 734
Registration date : 2012-06-08

Crossed over to the dark side Empty
PostSubject: Crossed over to the dark side   Crossed over to the dark side I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2019 8:49 am

For 10 years, I have held out, swearing that I would NEVER use a smart phone. And then a major Southern retailer went out of business wand everything was 90% off on their last day. Including phones. So I bought two 60 dollar Verizon phones for 6 bucks a piece. That was almost 2 months ago. I'm still figuring some things out, but I've been absent from all forums since I dumped Suddenlink and this phone is now my only online connection. I finally discovered the topic-it app for forums, so that should make it easier for me to browse. So, yeah. That's what I've been up to.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23432
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Crossed over to the dark side   Crossed over to the dark side I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2019 9:03 am

Welcome to the world of personal 24/7 computer-communication dependency.

Xid

Number of posts : 5517
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Crossed over to the dark side   Crossed over to the dark side I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2019 9:31 am

I once said, "I will never text."  Then I was forced into it by work.

I still hate texting.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3120
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Crossed over to the dark side   Crossed over to the dark side I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2019 11:37 am

yeah, with work they are pretty standard these days. I held out for a long time too and kept a flip phone. Then I upgrade to a non-smart phone with a slider keyboard. It finally died and I saw a Motorola smartphone for 10 bucks on black Friday one year and made the jump over to smart phones. have had several upgrades since then (now a Motorola G6 but it lags after getting the Android update). 

As a family we pretty much HAVE to have phones now for medical reasons.

Crossed over to the dark side Bg-share-glucose-g5
We use it to monitor our youngest daughter's blood sugar using the Dexcom Follow app. It's a blessing and now we couldn't live without our smartphones.

As for texting I prefer it over making phone calls for the most part.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Crossed over to the dark side   Crossed over to the dark side I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2019 3:02 pm

I way prefer texting my work partners over calling them...I can get off the phone faster.
I don't like texting my kids though, because it actually takes longer than just calling them.  Laughing

Black Rider

Number of posts : 1566
Registration date : 2011-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Crossed over to the dark side   Crossed over to the dark side I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2019 5:56 pm

I had to get one this year to look for work, everything was dependent on having a cellphone and now I have to have it for work. I reluctantly joined the 21st century.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Crossed over to the dark side   Crossed over to the dark side I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2019 6:18 am

I had a flip phone for a lot of years as my old employer Bridgestone wouldn't allow us to have a phone with a camera on it inside the factory.

When I went to work for the school system, I tried out a semi-smart phone (you could only get apps from the phone maker).  Then, I got a Samsung Galaxy S4.  I have had a smart phone ever since.  I upgraded from there to the Galaxy S5.  Then, I moved to Motorola and got my current X4 which I have enjoyed more than my Samsungs.  The Moto phones are really well built!

For carriers, I had Verizon with my flip phones.  I moved to Straight Talk in 2009 and haven't looked back.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Black Rider

Black Rider

PostSubject: Re: Crossed over to the dark side   Crossed over to the dark side I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2019 8:10 am

What I really want to know is; were there cookies?
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Crossed over to the dark side   Crossed over to the dark side I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2019 9:28 am

Here, where I from we don't text anymore.
We use Whats App.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3874

PostSubject: Re: Crossed over to the dark side   Crossed over to the dark side I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2019 2:25 pm

rockerVu2 wrote:
We use Whats App.

Why does the Netherlands find Whats App superior to SMS/MMS? What happens if the person doesn't have that app installed? I personally hate having to install apps despite being an IT person of sorts.

alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Crossed over to the dark side   Crossed over to the dark side I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2019 8:33 pm

topshot rhit wrote:
rockerVu2 wrote:
We use Whats App.

Why does the Netherlands find Whats App superior to SMS/MMS? What happens if the person doesn't have that app installed? I personally hate having to install apps despite being an IT person of sorts.

Same here.  I don't mind an app if it does something that my phone doesn't do like my word games, Shopkick, etc.  To install an app to make the phone do something that it already does just seems redundant to me.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Crossed over to the dark side   Crossed over to the dark side I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2019 12:44 am

I personally never understood the aversion. I've always been gung ho to get the latest piece of tech. We got beepers when they were affordable in the mid to late 90s, then I got a Palm Pilot (which made me the MVP at the pharmacy I worked at since I was the only one with all the answers to medication and insurance billing right in my back pocket), soon as I could afford it, I got a cell phone with a big old cool antennae in 2004.. I was already trying to figure out how to make it do more than just phone calls. I've gotten a new smart phone every 2 to 3 years since. I love having the world at my fingertips and can't imagine being without it. No apologies  Razz . My mother is the one who's kicking and screaming into the new Millennium  - she refuses to bend her knee to any new technologies. Sigh
Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5331
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Crossed over to the dark side   Crossed over to the dark side I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2019 2:48 am

I first got a cell phone (or a mobile phone as we call it) back in 2004, and then finally got a smart phone about 5 years ago.  It does feel like we're slowly sinking in technology!

Next year I'm getting this pretty cool thing where you stick a microchip in your wrist and it opens doors, pays for stuff and the government can track you if you get lost.  Someone said it is the mark of the beast, but then this impressive, red-eyed dude from Europe told me not to worry as it's all fine. Very Happy Laughing Shocked Evil or Very Mad

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Crossed over to the dark side   Crossed over to the dark side I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2019 7:33 am

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
I personally never understood the aversion. I've always been gung ho to get the latest piece of tech. We got beepers when they were affordable in the mid to late 90s, then I got a Palm Pilot (which made me the MVP at the pharmacy I worked at since I was the only one with all the answers to medication and insurance billing right in my back pocket), soon as I could afford it, I got a cell phone with a big old cool antennae in 2004.. I was already trying to figure out how to make it do more than just phone calls. I've gotten a new smart phone every 2 to 3 years since. I love having the world at my fingertips and can't imagine being without it. No apologies  Razz . My mother is the one who's kicking and screaming into the new Millennium  - she refuses to bend her knee to any new technologies. Sigh

Like I said, for me it was never an aversion to technology.  Where I worked wouldn't allow us to have phones with cameras.  So, you got a basic flip phone even when the rest of the world was getting smart phones.  I didn't text for a long time because it took so long on a flip phone keyboard.  Plus, I thought it was dumb since you could actually call someone.

Now, I use the phone for a lot of things like shopping, social media, a few games, my GPS, and used to use it for geocaching.  I rarely have the newest model of phones as they are too pricey.  Being on Straight Talk means I can either buy their phones that cannot get system updates, or get my own.  So, I shop around for weeks (and months on my current phone) to find the closest to flagship phone I can find at the least amount of money since I will have to purchase it outright.  While the world may not think so, I actually like my Moto much better than my Samsungs.  It feels more durable and does everything that the Samsung Galaxy S9 does.  Yes, I know there is a 10, but it hadn't been released a year and a half ago when I got my Moto X4.

Back to top Go down
Black Rider

Black Rider

PostSubject: Re: Crossed over to the dark side   Crossed over to the dark side I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2019 10:15 am

Moto actually gets high scores for an inexpensive phone. It's what I have and it's great.
Back to top Go down
Normaniac

Normaniac

Number of posts : 1450
Registration date : 2018-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Crossed over to the dark side   Crossed over to the dark side I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2019 1:06 pm

Love my Pixel 3a, my Dell laptop, Samsung Nexus 10, and Dell PC.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Crossed over to the dark side   Crossed over to the dark side I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2019 7:17 am

Topshot, What's app is free, for a text you have to pay here.
You can make an addressbook for What's App.
You can make groups in What's App, we have a What's App with the kids, one with my broter and sisters.
So you can keep in tyouch with your kids and family.
Back to top Go down
ChristTrekker

ChristTrekker

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2017-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Crossed over to the dark side   Crossed over to the dark side I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2019 9:20 am

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
I personally never understood the aversion. [...] I love having the world at my fingertips and can't imagine being without it.
Having the world always at your fingertips means you are always at someone else's fingertips too. Don't like being at the beck and call of someone else, all the time. I like being untethered. I know you don't have to answer or respond right away, but avoiding even the interruption is nice.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5517
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Crossed over to the dark side   Crossed over to the dark side I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2019 10:10 am

ChristTrekker wrote:
Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
I personally never understood the aversion. [...] I love having the world at my fingertips and can't imagine being without it.
Having the world always at your fingertips means you are always at someone else's fingertips too. Don't like being at the beck and call of someone else, all the time. I like being untethered. I know you don't have to answer or respond right away, but avoiding even the interruption is nice.
This! Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Crossed over to the dark side   Crossed over to the dark side I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2019 12:43 pm

Meh, technophobes  lol!
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Crossed over to the dark side   Crossed over to the dark side I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2019 2:34 pm

Fundy wrote:

Next year I'm getting this pretty cool thing where you stick a microchip in your wrist and it opens doors, pays for stuff and the government can track you if you get lost.  Someone said it is the mark of the beast, but then this impressive, red-eyed dude from Europe told me not to worry as it's all fine. Very Happy Laughing Shocked Evil or Very Mad

Shocked Ummm....don't do it Fundy....I have a feeling it could be bad. 
lol!

Number of posts : 3874

PostSubject: Re: Crossed over to the dark side   Crossed over to the dark side I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2019 10:02 pm

rockerVu2 wrote:
Topshot, What's app is free, for a text you have to pay here.
I see. There are phone plans like that in the US, but it seems a majority of them offer unlimited texts.

oldschooldoom

oldschooldoom

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2010-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Crossed over to the dark side   Crossed over to the dark side I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2019 7:53 pm

I said I would never have an iPhone. Last summer it became the logical choice.
Back to top Go down
Samson

Samson

Number of posts : 734
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Crossed over to the dark side   Crossed over to the dark side I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2019 6:56 pm

That topic it app is for the birds. I would much rather bookmark this page and view the web version. But I digress. I'm not constantly tethered to my phone. My wife, on the other hand, has not been able to put hers down since I installed bingo and farkle apps on hers.
Back to top Go down
Normaniac

Normaniac

Number of posts : 1450
Registration date : 2018-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Crossed over to the dark side   Crossed over to the dark side I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2019 5:12 am

Fundy wrote:
I first got a cell phone (or a mobile phone as we call it) back in 2004, and then finally got a smart phone about 5 years ago.  It does feel like we're slowly sinking in technology!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yrsfzps5zw
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crossed over to the dark side   Crossed over to the dark side I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Crossed over to the dark side
Page 1 of 1