Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Extreme Vocals?

Go down 
+3
alldatndensum
drumdude
Staybrite
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23421
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Extreme Vocals? Empty
PostSubject: Extreme Vocals?   Extreme Vocals? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 4:04 pm

[I posted this at the CMR in the Metal Mayhem section, it probably won't win me any friends]

Ok, how did this entire "extreme vocal" thing even start? I think I remeber hearing about the Hardcore movement in punk rock during the 80's. But I always thought that punk rock was a musical form that kind of celebrated lack of "musician ship" and "craft" in music, and was mostly about the attitude. So having the same attitude about the vocals seems like a logical step. But how did this shouting/screaming/growling vocal form infultrate into metal?
As you may have guessed I am not a fan of this type of vocal style, but I don't slight those who like. But to be honest it sounds as if the bands couldn't find anyone with any real vocal talent so they just decided to scream/growl the lyrics. (well at least the pioneering bands anyway).

Don't mean to step on anyones toes, but I thought this might be a topic worth discussion.

drumdude

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Extreme Vocals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extreme Vocals?   Extreme Vocals? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 4:45 pm

Hmmm... thats a very good question Staybright.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23467
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Extreme Vocals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extreme Vocals?   Extreme Vocals? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 8:08 am

I would also think that the hardcore/screamo vocals got their start in the punk scene, but you'd probably have to go back to the 70's with that. Iggy Pop was doing some of that way back then.

I don't know how the more extreme vocals filtered into metal and modern rock. I know one thing, though: I don't like it for the most part. Oh, a little hear and there to really add emphasis on certain words or phrases to really put some power behind it is cool. To do entire songs or albums with extreme vocals, to me, is just overkill. Personally, I think that there are a lot of great bands in that scene, but I won't be buying the CDs merely because of vocal style.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Extreme Vocals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extreme Vocals?   Extreme Vocals? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 5:45 pm

I agree with you Alldat, I can dig a little of it here are there to accent the music or add emotion. But I couldn't listen to an entire album of it being the only vocal style.

Number of posts : 3874

Extreme Vocals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extreme Vocals?   Extreme Vocals? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 10:36 pm

I think the underground thrash movement Metallica sort of led in the early 80s is where it really took off. Oddly enough, they were influenced by punk. After that it seemed as the music got harder so did the vox.

Doesn't really matter to me, I don't care for it very much. A lot of good music has been ruined by people who can't sing (that goes for clean, too).

Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5324
Registration date : 2007-05-04

Extreme Vocals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extreme Vocals?   Extreme Vocals? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 6:12 am

Basically I agree. I'm not really into the extreme vocals of many bands, and that has and still does put me off buying some great music. But vocals are very important to me, and extreme vocals generally don't make an album listenable to my ears!

Fundy

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
Staybrite

Staybrite

Extreme Vocals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extreme Vocals?   Extreme Vocals? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 3:54 pm

topshot rhit wrote:
A lot of good music has been ruined by people who can't sing (that goes for clean, too).

Well yes that is true, there is some good music ruined by lousy "clean" vocals as well.

KellyM

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2008-02-15

Extreme Vocals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extreme Vocals?   Extreme Vocals? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2008 5:59 pm

The first 'extreme' vocals I ever heard was Vengeace Rising and I laughed my head off at it. After a couple of listens, it started to make sense to me. Mortification is another one that clicked with me. When hardcore came in during the 90s, I hated it and still it doesn't do much for me. When it's used right it can be really cool. Too much of it is just annoying. Demon Hunter is a good example of a band that uses it well. They have melodic parts as well as hardcore-type vocals. Great stuff.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/lordchainrocks
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23467

Extreme Vocals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extreme Vocals?   Extreme Vocals? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2008 6:58 pm

Quote :
there is some good music ruined by lousy "clean" vocals as well.

Don't talk about me like that!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
7thSecond

7thSecond

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2007-04-27

Extreme Vocals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extreme Vocals?   Extreme Vocals? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 1:34 pm

It's just like any other form of hard music. There are some bands that do it well and some that don't. Just cause they're screaming doesn't mean that just anyone can do it. And contrary to what Staybrite says I think it takes just as much talent to be able to scream good as to sing good. And yes I admit this is coming from someone who likes a good bit of screaming music. Of course I also like a lot of mellow stuff like Thieves & Liars, Garth Brooks, Madonna etc.
Back to top Go down
7thSecond

7thSecond

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2007-04-27

Extreme Vocals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extreme Vocals?   Extreme Vocals? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 1:38 pm

Oh yeah and to answer the question (and get my post count to 100) I think people overall like harder music now days. That might have something to do with it, I don't know. It used to be after your 20's you went to the elevator for your music, now people much older then me still enjoy really hard stuff.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Extreme Vocals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extreme Vocals?   Extreme Vocals? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 3:51 pm

7thSecond wrote:
And contrary to what Staybrite says I think it takes just as much talent to be able to scream good as to sing good.

Well I didn't mean to suggest that the first screamers/growlers/grunters were talentless hacks. It just kind of seems like they lacked anyone who could actually sing and carry a melody so they resorted to "other vocal styles". But the vocal style has caught on, and many bands (and fans as well) prefer it to having a melodic singer in the band. I would agree that it is very difficult to sing the way some of these artists do.

It is common knowledge that some vocalists did not intend to be the singer in their band, but just did it until they could find a better singer. Sometimes that better singer doesn't come along, and that person gets identified as the vocalist. (for instance Lita Ford, and Brad Arnold from 3 Doors Down, have both said this about themselves).

Extreme Vocals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extreme Vocals?   Extreme Vocals? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Extreme Vocals?
Page 1 of 1