Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Poll Christian bands and secular songs.

Go down 
+8
Follower of Jesus
Oldiesmann
alldatndensum
fireturtle
bigjtink
Fundy
Staybrite
rockerVu2
12 posters

Stryper goes secular.
I like it and are curious how those songs sound in the Stryper version.
Poll Christian bands and secular songs. I_vote_lcap64%Poll Christian bands and secular songs. I_vote_rcap
 64% [ 9 ]
I really don't like it.
Poll Christian bands and secular songs. I_vote_lcap7%Poll Christian bands and secular songs. I_vote_rcap
 7% [ 1 ]
I would like Stryper recorded a CD with complete new songs.
Poll Christian bands and secular songs. I_vote_lcap21%Poll Christian bands and secular songs. I_vote_rcap
 21% [ 3 ]
Impossible a christian band playing secular rock songs.
Poll Christian bands and secular songs. I_vote_lcap0%Poll Christian bands and secular songs. I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Other.
Poll Christian bands and secular songs. I_vote_lcap7%Poll Christian bands and secular songs. I_vote_rcap
 7% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 14

AuthorMessage
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Poll Christian bands and secular songs. Empty
PostSubject: Poll Christian bands and secular songs.   Poll Christian bands and secular songs. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 10:11 am

Now Stryper started to record a new CD with bands who influenced their music I thought what are your thoughts about this?
Do you like it?
Or do you think, now, I would they recorded a brand new CD and not the covers of secular bands.
Or do you think Christian bands are not allowed to cover secular songs?
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23429
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Poll Christian bands and secular songs.   Poll Christian bands and secular songs. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 4:56 pm

I think it is a great idea!

Christian bands have covered secular tunes for a long time. But I don't think there have been very many that have done an whole albums worth of cover tunes.
Right now the only two I can think of are Stryper and Ultimatum.

Fundy

Number of posts : 5330
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Poll Christian bands and secular songs.   Poll Christian bands and secular songs. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 5:17 pm

I think it's a good idea, but personally I'd rather have 10 new songs and one cover than 10 covers songs and one new one.

Fundy

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Poll Christian bands and secular songs.   Poll Christian bands and secular songs. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 9:14 pm

It's starting to look more like 12 cover songs and 1 original. This is the last track listing I saw (following one of the threads at the CMR)

1. "Breaking The Law" by Judas Priest
2 ."The Trooper" by Iron Maiden
3. "Blackout" by Scorpions
4. "Over The Mountain" by Ozzy
5. "Set Me Free" by Sweet
6. "On Fire" by Van Halen
7. "Highway Star" by Deep Purple
8. "Heaven and Hell" by Black Sabbath
9. "Lights Out" by UFO
10. "Carry On Wayward Son" by Kansas
11. "Shout it Out Loud" by Kiss
12. "The Immigrant Song" by Led Zepplin (if time permits)

New Original Song
1. “God” by Stryper

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Poll Christian bands and secular songs.   Poll Christian bands and secular songs. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 9:19 pm

Come on Fundy, you gotta be excited. The overwhelming majority of those bands/artists are from Great Britain!!

bigjtink

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2007-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Poll Christian bands and secular songs.   Poll Christian bands and secular songs. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 9:19 pm

Me likey!
Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

PostSubject: Re: Poll Christian bands and secular songs.   Poll Christian bands and secular songs. I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 4:09 am

lol @ staybrite. Yes, that may be true. But (and it may be hard to believe) I haven't heard any of those songs before except Breaking The Law. My history as a metal head is as follows.

198? Heard Meatloaf on TV (Dead Ringer For Love) and loved it.
1988 Friend copied Petra's Not Of This World for me to listen to. I thought it was ok.
1991 Started buying Meatloaf albums
1994 By this time I had Meatloaf, Bon Jovi, Alice Cooper, Guns N Roses and a few various albums
1994 That same year I heard Petra's Wake Up Call, and loved it - then bought it.
1995 Started seriously buying Christian Rock and Metal albums.
1998 Got rid of all my 'non-christian' stuff. Not because it was sinful, just because I was getting pretty much nothing out of it.

So my complete 'secular' collection was between 1991 and 1994 and was lots of Bon Jovi and Meatloaf and a few Alice Cooper and GNR. That was it! So pretty much anything else is all new to me.

I've lived a sheltered life!!! Poll Christian bands and secular songs. Icon_razz

Fundy

1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.

Back to top Go down
fireturtle

fireturtle

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Poll Christian bands and secular songs.   Poll Christian bands and secular songs. I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 2:14 pm

I think Stryper releasing a cover album with secular songs is a great thing. They have an oppertunity to reach an audience that they might not have normally had a chance to reach. Even if one person comes to Christ through listening to their music it is worth. Music can be a powerful ally in the fight to win souls, just think about the younger kids (Jr. High and Highschool) that are so influenced by music.

Just my two cents but I hope the album rocks and gets secular air play.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Poll Christian bands and secular songs.   Poll Christian bands and secular songs. I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 6:13 pm

Have seen and listended to "Breaking The Law" live.
That song sounds great in the Stryper version.

I am curious to listen to all those song in the Stryper version.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Poll Christian bands and secular songs.   Poll Christian bands and secular songs. I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 11:37 pm

Fundy wrote:

I've lived a sheltered life!!! Poll Christian bands and secular songs. Icon_razz

Nothing wrong with that, but if you owned and listened to almost any Meatloaf's albums I would say that your life wasn't that sheltered, most of his albums had some rather "saucy" lyrics.

But now I'm wondering why you're upset that this isn't an album of new material. To you it will almost all sound like new material anyway!

firetutle wrote:
I think Stryper releasing a cover album with secular songs is a great thing. They have an oppertunity to reach an audience that they might not have normally had a chance to reach. Even if one person comes to Christ through listening to their music it is worth. Music can be a powerful ally in the fight to win souls, just think about the younger kids (Jr. High and Highschool) that are so influenced by music.

Just my two cents but I hope the album rocks and gets secular air play

I too hope they get a lot of secular airplay. Sadly I doubt that many of the younger kids will be excited to hear new Stryper (but I could be wrong). Seems like kids don't want to hear bands that their parents listened to.
Poll Christian bands and secular songs. Lol

Fundy

PostSubject: Re: Poll Christian bands and secular songs.   Poll Christian bands and secular songs. I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 6:07 am

lol@ staybrite!

1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.

Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Poll Christian bands and secular songs.   Poll Christian bands and secular songs. I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 8:49 am

I will probably get the CD, but I would be more excited by all new material. With Stryper doing a covers album, only their existing fans are going to really care about this. I don't look for them to get airplay out of this disc. Anytime a band does a full album of cover tunes, it is just a novelty project for their fans.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Oldiesmann

Oldiesmann

Number of posts : 517
Registration date : 2008-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Poll Christian bands and secular songs.   Poll Christian bands and secular songs. I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 1:24 pm

Should at least be an interesting listen. I'm not sure if I'll buy it or not. I have heard many of the songs on that list, but just can't picture Stryper doing any of them, particularly "The Immigrant Song" and "Over The Mountain".
Back to top Go down
https://www.christianmetal.fans
Follower of Jesus

Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2007-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Poll Christian bands and secular songs.   Poll Christian bands and secular songs. I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 4:15 pm

Love the idea, and I'm excited to hear these songs played in the Stryper style. They'll be back with a new album of their own songs in due time. This is a novelty and I for one love it.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Poll Christian bands and secular songs.   Poll Christian bands and secular songs. I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 6:33 pm

Follower of Jesus wrote:
.... This is a novelty and I for one love it.

Poll Christian bands and secular songs. 676823 Completely agree!

PostSubject: Re: Poll Christian bands and secular songs.   Poll Christian bands and secular songs. I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 4:55 pm

I like it. I'll probably get this one, and I have not gotten the last two cds.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Poll Christian bands and secular songs.   Poll Christian bands and secular songs. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 4:03 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:
I like it. I'll probably get this one, and I have not gotten the last two cds.

I really bet you would like "Murder by Pride" (significant improvement over Reborn IMO).
Did you abstain because of the Robert Sweet fiasco?

PostSubject: Re: Poll Christian bands and secular songs.   Poll Christian bands and secular songs. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 7:12 pm

Pretty much... It just didn't sit right with me...

I heard that the music was better than Reborn, but have never heard a note of it.
Back to top Go down
davetherocker

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Poll Christian bands and secular songs.   Poll Christian bands and secular songs. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 7:58 am

haha F.O.G. does tracks seven, nine and twelve already! Cover tunes work as long as you are aware of what is being said. These guys love Christ and are thankful for the creativity of music so I say use it to draw others to HIM! I mean aren't we all immigrants awaiting for the time when GOD says guess what Lights Out!!!! ;-)
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Poll Christian bands and secular songs.   Poll Christian bands and secular songs. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 3:52 pm

Very cool, I for one would love to hear F.O.G.'s take on "Highway Star".

Addy

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Poll Christian bands and secular songs.   Poll Christian bands and secular songs. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 5:24 pm

I think Stryper has been careful on which songs to select, as theyve stated this is a fun record for them, Im anxious to hear this even though im not a fan of most of the bands theyre covering

I voted I like it!

On another note, Murder by Pride is a great album
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockcityonline.net
ProgPariah77

ProgPariah77

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2010-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Poll Christian bands and secular songs.   Poll Christian bands and secular songs. I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 7:29 pm

One great cover that comes to mind is P.O.D.'s version of "Bullet the Blue Sky" by U2. Actually blew away the original, IMO.

peace,
rob
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Poll Christian bands and secular songs.   Poll Christian bands and secular songs. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 9:19 am

Pillar redid the song "Shine" by Collective Soul, too.

Also, the new LnJ CD will be covers.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
silentthunder89

silentthunder89

Number of posts : 1275
Registration date : 2008-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Poll Christian bands and secular songs.   Poll Christian bands and secular songs. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 9:55 am

There was a album that came out in maybe 2004 called "In the Name of Love" that featured a bunch of Christian bands covering U2 songs as a fundraiser to battle AIDS in Africa. There were some really good ones including a Pillar cover of "Sunday Bloody Sunday," "Beautiful Day" by Sanctus Real, "One" by Tait, and "Mysterious Ways" by TobyMac.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Poll Christian bands and secular songs.   Poll Christian bands and secular songs. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 3:42 pm

ProgPariah77 wrote:
One great cover that comes to mind is P.O.D.'s version of "Bullet the Blue Sky" by U2. Actually blew away the original, IMO.

peace,
rob

The alternative band Human did a cover of the same song on their "Out of the Dust" album. I thought it was pretty darn good as well.

PostSubject: Re: Poll Christian bands and secular songs.   Poll Christian bands and secular songs. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Poll Christian bands and secular songs.
Page 1 of 1