Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Holy Saint fans?

Go down 
+3
Staybrite
Guilty/Forgiven
Mac
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Mac

Number of posts : 480
Registration date : 2012-03-18

Holy Saint fans? Empty
PostSubject: Holy Saint fans?   Holy Saint fans? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 2:46 pm

These guys were from Rochester, NY and had a few releases on cassette tape in the late 80's. Scott from Ultimatum also did the artwork for these guys. The cassette I had of theirs but the dust when I tried to make an mp3 copy of it for myself. Anyone know where I might be able to find their stuff and if it was ever released on cd?
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9954
Registration date : 2007-05-18

Holy Saint fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Saint fans?   Holy Saint fans? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 4:14 pm

Holy Saint ROCKS ! Love their stuff.
Never released on CD that I know of. I have their Sound the Alarm demo from '87 and the self titled from 1990.

These are the notes I copied for my Site:
"Formed in Rochester, NY in 1986. Holy Saint stuck around for nearly a decade even though they were never afforded the opportunity to record for a proper label. Towards the end of their existence the band moved to Nashville, TN and changed their name to ZOE SOZO then later to Judgement Day.
(Scott of Ultimatum [no life til metal] designed their logo)
Pat Tharp- Bass; Bruce Atomic- Drums; Radojica "Radical Rad" Uskokovic- Guitars; Chris Brooks- Vocals
"
Truly an under-appreciated band.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23416
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Holy Saint fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Saint fans?   Holy Saint fans? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 4:46 pm

One of their recordings did make it to cd (Retrospect records IIRC) but I think that wasn't even an authrized release and it might even be OOP again.  I missed out on getting the cd at the time but wish I had it now.

Number of posts : 480
Registration date : 2012-03-18

Holy Saint fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Saint fans?   Holy Saint fans? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 4:58 pm

Pat Tharp is actually still in the Rochester area I've heard. I understand he a worship leader at a church nearby. I should probably hook up with him
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23465
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Holy Saint fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Saint fans?   Holy Saint fans? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 7:47 pm

I have that Retrospect release from a few years back.  I found the review on Angelic Warlord that says that this was issued back in 2005--so it would be VERY out of print.  Here's the link:

http://www.angelicwarlord.com/reviews/h/holysaint05.html

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
ultmetal

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2013-07-13

Holy Saint fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Saint fans?   Holy Saint fans? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 4:23 pm

Some of my closest friends when I was in college. (Rochester Institute of Technology) I became a true Christian thanks to the friendship of Holy Saint singer Chris Brooks. I miss him dearly. He passed away many, many years ago.

The Retrospect release was illegal. It is a bootleg. When it was discovered that they were selling this bootleg, the band approached the label and the CD was pulled from sales.

I've talked to Pat Tharp about the possibility of them officially re-releasing all those old demos and their one cassette only album. ]

I still have old flyers and other things from Holy Saint from back in the day. Even have an old t-shirt but it's way too small to ever wear.

Last edited by ultmetal on Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Holy Saint fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Saint fans?   Holy Saint fans? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 6:02 pm

It would be cool if the Holy Saint stuff would get a proper rerelease on cd. I'm gonna have to hunt for my cassette copy
Back to top Go down
ultmetal

Holy Saint fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Saint fans?   Holy Saint fans? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 7:36 pm

I still have my old cassette copy of that album. I also had some demos that predated that album. Unfortunately those tapes were starting to go bad, so I gave them to a studio engineer in exchange for putting them onto CD for me. Lost the cassettes, but still have the music.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23465
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Holy Saint fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Saint fans?   Holy Saint fans? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 10:40 pm

Quote :
The Retrospect release was illegal. It is a bootleg. When it was discovered that they were selling this bootleg, the band approached the label and the CD was pulled from sales.

Although I hate it that it was a bootleg, I am glad that I scored one of those before they were pulled from the Retrospect site.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Dynamis

Dynamis

Number of posts : 1646
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Holy Saint fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Saint fans?   Holy Saint fans? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 10:49 pm

I had no idea the CD was a bootleg when I wrote the review.  Perhaps I need to add a disclaimer since it is not the Angelic Warlord policy to review bootlegs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelicwarlord.com/
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16567
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Holy Saint fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Saint fans?   Holy Saint fans? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 10:04 am

Ultmetal, you are very welcome to CHM.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal

Holy Saint fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Saint fans?   Holy Saint fans? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 11:18 am

Dynamis wrote:
I had no idea the CD was a bootleg when I wrote the review.  Perhaps I need to add a disclaimer since it is not the Angelic Warlord policy to review bootlegs.

It's odd that Retrospect would release it when they had no legal contract at all. They also released Mass - New Birth, but that was legal and done with the band's permission.

I'm glad I purchased one before they were gone too, since it's never been released on CD. Actually, it was from my site that the band found out about the illegal release.

rockerVu2 wrote:
Ultmetal, you are very welcome to CHM.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down

Holy Saint fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Saint fans?   Holy Saint fans? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 1:18 pm

I am not exactly for supporting illegal releases, but I would have loved to gotten a copy of it too..lol..
In fact, the same exact thing happened with the Malachia "Red Sunrise"  cd ...I was able to finally get one though.
As a fan, sometimes I just want to get the music at all costs..but I fully understand and support the band's point of view.

Overall, I really love Retrospect Records, as they have made a ton of rare Christian metal rock and metal from the 80s available.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal

Holy Saint fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Saint fans?   Holy Saint fans? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 3:18 pm

Retrospect or Retroactive? Two completely different labels. Retrospect is a mostly secular label though they did release a handful of Christian releases.

Retroactive has released a ton of 80s/early 90's Christian metal available.
Back to top Go down

Holy Saint fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Saint fans?   Holy Saint fans? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 4:49 pm

Quote :
ultmetalRetrospect or Retroactive? Two completely different labels. Retrospect is a mostly secular label though they did release a handful of Christian releases.

Retroactive has released a ton of 80s/early 90's Christian metal available.

I was talking about Retrospect because that is who released the Holy Saint and the Malachia cds. Retrospect's website has a TON of never released or out of print 80s Christian metal down in the Time Warp, Evil Eye, Shock wave, etc section...I know some of it may or may not be licensed when it is a Time Warp release though. 

http://retrospectrecords.com/time_warp_etc.html

Du Beel - Box Of Rox 1990 (FF Hair Metal)
7TH ANGEL '7th Angel' 1988 CHRISTIAN MELODIC METAL ep
ANGEL X 'Children of the Reign' 1992 MELODIC METAL
APOSTLE 'Hymns' 1988 CHRISTIAN MELODIC METAL
Angelix - Demos 1990
CHRYZTYNE 'Tales of Paradise' 1993 MELODIC HARD ROCK / AOR
D.O.X. 'Through The Fire' 1989 CHRISTIAN AOR / MELODIC ROCK
DESERT VOICE 'Holy Fire' 1994 CHRISTIAN MELODIC HARD ROCK
DU BEEL 'Yeah' 1989 FEMALE-FRONTED HAIR METAL
DUBIEL 'Dubiel' 1988 FF AOR MELODIC HARD ROCK ep
Dual Edge - Knock'em Alive 1987
FAST FORWARD - Message For America 1985 Christian Metal
FIRST STRIKE - Rock Of Offense 1984 Early Christian Metal
Holy Soldier - Demos
PRODIGAL 'Just Like Real Life' 1985 HI-TECH AOR
Prodigal - Electric Eye 1984
RECON - Demo EP 1989

Retrospect also offers used and rare cds also...I have picked up some really nice cds from that section too.
http://retrospectrecords.com/used_cds.html

AND Retrospect just started a new label called RetroCross Records which is all Christian rock from the good ol days.
Lost & Found being the first of the releases I believe
http://www.retrospectrecords.com/products/lost_found.html

Retroactive Records on the other hand is owned and operated by Matthew Hunt. I am in the FB group he started and I invited him into the CHM group on FB. They reissue classic Christian rock and metal, always 100% authorized, usually including bonus songs or messages from the artist. They also release new recordings. Retroactive Records is THE premiere Christian label today for rock and metal fans, and when you see their emblem on it you know it is going to be a quality release.

There is NO comparing the two companies or confusing them between each other.

I sound like an advertisement...lol

KISS
Back to top Go down
ultmetal

Holy Saint fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Saint fans?   Holy Saint fans? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 4:58 pm

Hmmm, I wonder how many of those are legal releases.
Back to top Go down

Holy Saint fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Saint fans?   Holy Saint fans? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 5:03 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Hmmm, I wonder how many of those are legal releases.

Yeah, I know.

I always toss back and forth on it. Like I said, I fully understand the artist's point of view, but it is also a shame to let good music go without being listened to. Even when I buy something from Retrospect, if it gets released thru an official outlet I buy that too. Example, I bought Mass Voices In The Night from Retrospect, then when Retroactive Records released it I bought that too.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal

Holy Saint fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Saint fans?   Holy Saint fans? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 5:07 pm

BTW, here's a picture of myself (far left) with Holy Saint singer Chris Brooks (middle). The other guy in the photo was their bassist at the time, Michael Amico.
Holy Saint fans? 283271_185847424814008_4445234_n
Back to top Go down

Holy Saint fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Saint fans?   Holy Saint fans? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 5:23 pm

ultmetal..if it isn't too private to ask, how did he pass away?

I know sometimes people don't like to put the reasons out there, just like I have still never seen what happened to Tony Crider either...
Back to top Go down
ultmetal

Holy Saint fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Saint fans?   Holy Saint fans? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 5:58 pm

I know what happened but out of respect to his family I don't think I should be posting it on a public forum. Sorry.
Back to top Go down

Holy Saint fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Saint fans?   Holy Saint fans? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 7:57 pm

Understood.

If you ever feel that you could PM me on it let me know...but i understand if you don't.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Holy Saint fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Saint fans?   Holy Saint fans? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Holy Saint fans?
Page 1 of 1