Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Question about BOXED SETS

Go down 
+5
Staybrite
Through The Dark Radio
kerrick
ishmael81
Guilty/Forgiven
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9960
Registration date : 2007-05-18

Question about BOXED SETS Empty
PostSubject: Question about BOXED SETS   Question about BOXED SETS I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 12:31 pm

I see boxed sets of all kinds of mainstream bands. Heck, once a band gets to their 3rd album, they're already releasing a boxed set.

This brings me to Christian music... Rock and Metal in particular. Where are the boxed sets for any Christian bands ?? 

I know I'd be buying some boxed sets for particular bands. I'm really surprised Stryper doesn't have one... or do they ?
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Question about BOXED SETS   Question about BOXED SETS I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 1:14 pm

Oh great... now this place will be overrun with Stryper topics....

just kidding. I've wondered the same thing and I think there are two issues. First, most "Christian" labels are actually sub-labels of a bigger label. I know Geffen records owns... a Christian label but I don't know who offhand. Most box sets are pricey and most Christian music doesn't sell enough to warrant a box set the first time it gets released. Second, most "contemporary" music is just that - a con that is temporary... by the time an artist could release a box set, they're either not making music, or they've changed styles to stay current.

Now, within the metal/hard rock/punk world, I think the first is the cause.
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3507
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Question about BOXED SETS   Question about BOXED SETS I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 1:20 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
Oh great... now this place will be overrun with Stryper topics....
lol!
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Question about BOXED SETS   Question about BOXED SETS I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 1:44 pm

Interesting. I would've thought money would be the main reason - and it kind of is... but your point is interesting about the fact that they aren't on big enough labels.

I kind of get what you're saying.  I still would think that some artists would be big enough to warrant a box set. I'm rather surprised Michael W Smith doesn't have one (I'm assuming).
And yes, here we go with Stryper-mania Laughing  - I'm totally shocked that they don't have a box set for Roxx Regime all the way thru Against the Law. I know there were a couple label switches in there... I wonder how boxed sets even work, as far as having different labels through the years and different lineups etc.

Just thinking out loud on this one..
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Question about BOXED SETS   Question about BOXED SETS I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 2:57 pm

Maybe bands should do a Kickstarter for the boxed sets Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23458
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Question about BOXED SETS   Question about BOXED SETS I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 3:49 pm

If I'm not mistaken Roxx Records put out an Ultimatum boxed set.

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Question about BOXED SETS   Question about BOXED SETS I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 4:06 pm

Really ? that's pretty cool. I like Ultimatum but would prefer boxed sets from some of the more melodic metal/ hard rock bands. But that's cool... gonna try to find it just for the heck of it.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Question about BOXED SETS   Question about BOXED SETS I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 5:44 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Really ? that's pretty cool. I like Ultimatum but would prefer boxed sets from some of the more melodic metal/ hard rock bands. But that's cool... gonna try to find it just for the heck of it.
http://www.roxxproductions.com/20-years-of-ultimatum/

and here

http://www.nolifetilmetal.com/ultimatum_box.html

PostSubject: Re: Question about BOXED SETS   Question about BOXED SETS I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 5:48 pm

Question about BOXED SETS Ss10
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Question about BOXED SETS   Question about BOXED SETS I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 11:26 am

Seriously, stop with the Stryper. Ugh...
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

PostSubject: Re: Question about BOXED SETS   Question about BOXED SETS I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 11:36 am

^I'm with Joshua on this one...
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Question about BOXED SETS   Question about BOXED SETS I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 11:46 am

There are certainly several christian rock/metal artists with long enough careers to have a god box set (Petra, White Heart, Bloodgood, Rez, Tourniquet etc.) but I think the hard part is finding a market for those sets. I mean when a record label makes a box set for Bruce Springsteen, Led Zep, Iron Maiden, Van Halen etc....they are probably pretty much guaranteed to sell a 1000 or more (assuming they include unreleased material), but do you really think any label would be able to sell even 200 boxed sets of a Barren Cross collection?

kerrick

PostSubject: Re: Question about BOXED SETS   Question about BOXED SETS I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 12:12 pm

For sure.  Box sets are really only for serious collectors or new fans.  If I already have half of their catalog, I'm not going to buy a box set that overlaps with what CDs I already have.  A couple of labels will release two of a band's albums in one package for a discounted price.  That's probably a better way to go since they can more easily draw in new/prospective fans.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Question about BOXED SETS   Question about BOXED SETS I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 12:27 pm

Good point guys. Bummer. But good points nonetheless.
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Question about BOXED SETS   Question about BOXED SETS I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 3:24 pm

Rez has put out a boxed set.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Question about BOXED SETS   Question about BOXED SETS I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 3:41 pm

Through The Dark Radio wrote:
Rez has put out a boxed set.
I remember hearing that, I wonder how many of them we they sold.

Last edited by Staybrite on Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Question about BOXED SETS   Question about BOXED SETS I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 3:47 pm

"we"... ?

Am I the only one that didn't know Staybrite was moonlighting in the band ?
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Question about BOXED SETS   Question about BOXED SETS I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 3:58 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
"we"... ?

Am I the only one that didn't know Staybrite was moonlighting in the band ?
I am kind of old....but not old enough to have been in that band. lol! 

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Question about BOXED SETS   Question about BOXED SETS I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 4:33 pm

ROTFL
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23480
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Question about BOXED SETS   Question about BOXED SETS I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 4:54 pm

To be honest, I don't know of many bands that I would even consider plunking down the kind of cash that a boxed set costs.  If I love the band that much, then I probably have all their albums (or close to it).  There might be some unreleased demos or something I didn't have.  But, with Retroactive Records doing so much to bring a lot of those materials out to the masses, that makes the need for boxed sets to be even less for me.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Question about BOXED SETS   Question about BOXED SETS I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 5:53 pm

Well, one of the nice things about boxed sets is, they usually include collector's stuff - ie booklets with all kinds of band history and info, additional out-takes or rare reels, maybe an interview or two... that kind of stuff is cool.

For me, a REZ boxed set would be cool cuz I currently own a few LPs and a couple CDs and the rest are non-legally obtained copies from people generous enough to send me albums with various Kbps - but a boxed set would supply me with a one stop shop of everything in one box Very Happy 

I think we should start working on a boxed set for the IMMORTAL MO1 !!!!!!!! That would be cool. I'd buy it Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question about BOXED SETS   Question about BOXED SETS I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 6:54 pm

I have the REZ box set ..it is VERY cool...packaging sucks though..

it is a combo of cd/dvd and booklet
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question about BOXED SETS   Question about BOXED SETS I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 6:55 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
Seriously, stop with the Stryper. Ugh...
Relaaaaaaax Ish Rolling Eyes 

That wasn't really about Stryper, it was about humor....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question about BOXED SETS   Question about BOXED SETS I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 6:59 pm

Each cd/dvd is in it's own cardboard sleeve..which I hate. That detracts from the set. I wound up putting each disc into it's case. 

It is worth getting..and if you watch, sometimes you can get a steal on Amazon. I got mine for $9.95 used but in perfect condition

http://www.grrrrecords.com/rez-box-set
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Question about BOXED SETS   Question about BOXED SETS I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 7:00 pm

NICE Shocked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about BOXED SETS   Question about BOXED SETS I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question about BOXED SETS
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next