Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Day After Veterans Day Rant

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23422
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Day After Veterans Day Rant Empty
PostSubject: Day After Veterans Day Rant   Day After Veterans Day Rant I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 3:44 pm

So maybe it is because I have spent the last 3 out of 4 Saturdays at work. Or maybe it is because I see our fellow workers in Europe who get considerably more paid Holidays than us here in the states. Maybe I am just in a bad mood. But I found myself more than a little peeved as I was driving to work this Monday morning (Nov 12). The in which our country has decided to celebrate Veteran’s Day. Like the rest of my fellow workers in the private sector I was fighting traffic to get to my office, and spend another 8-10 hours toiling away. But not every worker here in the U.S. will be doing this today.

For those fortunate enough to work for the state or federal government today is a paid holiday. For those who work for the banks, this is a paid holiday. For those young enough to still be in school, it is also a day off. Many (probably the majority) of the people who did not work today are likely not veterans. Why do we even observe this holiday as a day off from work, if not all our veterans are not allowed a day of rest?

I say we all have it as a day of rest, or nobody does.

Oh yes, and by the way Veteran’s day was yesterday, and not today. Why is anybody not working or going to school today?

At any rate, I want to take this day to thank anyone who has served in the armed forces in defense of our nation’s liberty. Be it in active combat, or in time of peace I owe my freedom, and the freedom of my family to my fellow brothers and sisters in arms. A special prayer goes out to all of those serving in danger of their lives in and around the Middle East.

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9954
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Day After Veterans Day Rant   Day After Veterans Day Rant I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 11:29 pm

Amen and Amen !
Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5324
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Day After Veterans Day Rant   Day After Veterans Day Rant I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2007 6:20 am

So how much holiday do you guys get in America then? (On average)

I get 25 days a year plus

2 days in March for Easter
1 day at the start of May
1 day at the end of May
1 day in August
Christmas Day
Boxing Day
New Years Day

Fundy

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16567
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Day After Veterans Day Rant   Day After Veterans Day Rant I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2007 9:37 am

Here people get 21 days off.

Extra days of are:
New Years Day
Easter (that are two days)
Queens day (April 30rd
Acension Day
Pentecoast (two days)
Christmas (two days)

Fundy do you have two holidays too for Easter, Pentecoast and Acension day too?

Most people have once in the two weeks an extra day off.
Do you call that in the US "shorter work week"?
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23422
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Day After Veterans Day Rant   Day After Veterans Day Rant I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2007 3:45 pm

We did this once before, and in the U.S. it depends on if you work for the government, or if you are in the private sector. Also in the private sector, union employees get several more days off.

I work in a private business and am not in any union.

I get 8 regular paid holidays off each year, and 2 weeks of personal vacation time (also paid).
That is 18 days (probably close to the norm for most people in the U.S.).

Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23467
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Day After Veterans Day Rant   Day After Veterans Day Rant I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 10:08 am

I work for a union company.

Right now, I have 3 weeks of vacation time. If I am still there when I hit 20 years, I will have 4 weeks.

Here's the holidays I get:

New Years's Day
Easter (yes, Sunday--not Good Friday)
Memorial Day
Independance Day
Labor Day
Thanksgiving (we get the day of and the day after)
Christmas (we get the 24, 25, and 26)
New Year's Eve

That gives me 11 paid holidays. But I also agree that if the Federal government of the USA takes off days like President's Day, Martin Luther King Day, Veteran's Day, etc., then those should be paid holidays for the entire US population.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Day After Veterans Day Rant   Day After Veterans Day Rant I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Day After Veterans Day Rant
Page 1 of 1