Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

#^@&!%* Topic about $&!#

Go down 
+7
alldatndensum
BearDad
Staybrite
topshot rhit
xenonlion
Xid
Guilty/Forgiven
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2007-05-18

#^@&!%* Topic about $&!# - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: #^@&!%* Topic about $&!#   #^@&!%* Topic about $&!# - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 9:02 am

Good points indeed !
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5517
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: #^@&!%* Topic about $&!#   #^@&!%* Topic about $&!# - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 9:06 am

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Good points indeed !
Ditto.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: #^@&!%* Topic about $&!#   #^@&!%* Topic about $&!# - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 9:29 am

BearDad wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:
I know a lot of folks will disagree but this article sums up my feelings pretty well. Words are words. Intentions are not. What matters more?

I'm not going to comment on the article, but if it's all about intentions then was this wrong:

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/world/2014/08/25/pkg-stevens-china-boy-survives-being-hit-by-car.cnn&hpt=hp_c3&from_homepage=yes&video_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F

The driver admitted to not seeing the kid, that he didn't intend to hit him. Oh well, it's OK then! What if the kid had died? Would it still be OK, since their were no evil intentions?

To show his love for his new bride a man buys her roses. Unfortunately, she never told him that she is deathly allergic to roses and she has a reaction, needing medical care. Should he apologize? Nah! His intentions were good. 

A man forgets his anniversary and his wife is crushed; he has really hurt her feelings. But it's OK, because he didn't intend to. There's no need to apologize, as he had no intention of forgetting the important date and hurting her feelings. Why should he feel sorry? He is completely innocent.

A man is married but his relationship with his wife has soured and he feels no love for her or from here. Small talk with a female coworker turns into drinks after work, which then turns into an affair. The man feels alive again because someone is showing him love. After some time his wife finds out, and as might be expected she is devastated. How can she ever trust him, or anyone, again!? She feels utterly hopeless and unloved. Should the man apologize? Should he give up the affair and return to his wife, if she'll forgive him? Nah! Why should he? He never intended to hurt her, he was just looking out for himself? How is it his problem? His intentions were never bad, or hurtful, or deliberate. So all is good, right?

Johnny is slow; his brain just doesn't function like it should and he cannot process information like normal people. All his life his mother, with no malice or even intent, called him her stupid child. Johnny, feeling he was stupid and of no worth, killed himself. Is his mother at fault? Should she have treated him differently, told him he was special, despite his mental slowness? She didn't intend to make him feel as she did?

A man had a bad day at work, constantly getting nagged by his boss to complete a project, pestered by coworkers asking for help, and harassed by unsatisfied customers. When he got home one of the first things his wife said was, "Don't forget you were going to fix the screen door tonight dear." The man had had enough and blew up, saying "I'll fix the @#&@$* screen door when I am @#$%$#@#$ good and ready. Why is everyone @#$@%@#$ nagging me! Why won't they just @#%&^#$% leave me the @#$!$ alone!" Did the man intend to yell at his wife? Did he intend to swear at her? Did he intend to take out his bad day on her? Nah! It's all good, right? No harm done.

Words are not just words, and good intentions with bad results, or the lack of bad intentions, is not an indication that one's behavior is acceptable.

Solomon wrote:
The words of the reckless pierce like swords, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.  (Proverbs 12:18)

There is no evil intent in recklessness.  Other translations use harsher language, such as "rash", but it still does not indicate intent.

And contrary to what the bonehead in the blog says, saying "I hate you" to your friend in response to his getting a new car is not harmless. Sure there is not intent of real hate, but there is evidence of jealousy and envy, which is sin. A real friend would be happy for their buddy and show it, perhaps even say "I am happy for you."

I like how you point out several ways that the blogger and I are wrong because words aren't just words... then call the blogger a bonehead.
Back to top Go down
BearDad

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

PostSubject: Re: #^@&!%* Topic about $&!#   #^@&!%* Topic about $&!# - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 10:26 am

ishmael81 wrote:
BearDad wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:
I know a lot of folks will disagree but this article sums up my feelings pretty well. Words are words. Intentions are not. What matters more?

I'm not going to comment on the article, but if it's all about intentions then was this wrong:

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/world/2014/08/25/pkg-stevens-china-boy-survives-being-hit-by-car.cnn&hpt=hp_c3&from_homepage=yes&video_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F

The driver admitted to not seeing the kid, that he didn't intend to hit him. Oh well, it's OK then! What if the kid had died? Would it still be OK, since their were no evil intentions?

To show his love for his new bride a man buys her roses. Unfortunately, she never told him that she is deathly allergic to roses and she has a reaction, needing medical care. Should he apologize? Nah! His intentions were good. 

A man forgets his anniversary and his wife is crushed; he has really hurt her feelings. But it's OK, because he didn't intend to. There's no need to apologize, as he had no intention of forgetting the important date and hurting her feelings. Why should he feel sorry? He is completely innocent.

A man is married but his relationship with his wife has soured and he feels no love for her or from here. Small talk with a female coworker turns into drinks after work, which then turns into an affair. The man feels alive again because someone is showing him love. After some time his wife finds out, and as might be expected she is devastated. How can she ever trust him, or anyone, again!? She feels utterly hopeless and unloved. Should the man apologize? Should he give up the affair and return to his wife, if she'll forgive him? Nah! Why should he? He never intended to hurt her, he was just looking out for himself? How is it his problem? His intentions were never bad, or hurtful, or deliberate. So all is good, right?

Johnny is slow; his brain just doesn't function like it should and he cannot process information like normal people. All his life his mother, with no malice or even intent, called him her stupid child. Johnny, feeling he was stupid and of no worth, killed himself. Is his mother at fault? Should she have treated him differently, told him he was special, despite his mental slowness? She didn't intend to make him feel as she did?

A man had a bad day at work, constantly getting nagged by his boss to complete a project, pestered by coworkers asking for help, and harassed by unsatisfied customers. When he got home one of the first things his wife said was, "Don't forget you were going to fix the screen door tonight dear." The man had had enough and blew up, saying "I'll fix the @#&@$* screen door when I am @#$%$#@#$ good and ready. Why is everyone @#$@%@#$ nagging me! Why won't they just @#%&^#$% leave me the @#$!$ alone!" Did the man intend to yell at his wife? Did he intend to swear at her? Did he intend to take out his bad day on her? Nah! It's all good, right? No harm done.

Words are not just words, and good intentions with bad results, or the lack of bad intentions, is not an indication that one's behavior is acceptable.

Solomon wrote:
The words of the reckless pierce like swords, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.  (Proverbs 12:18)

There is no evil intent in recklessness.  Other translations use harsher language, such as "rash", but it still does not indicate intent.

And contrary to what the bonehead in the blog says, saying "I hate you" to your friend in response to his getting a new car is not harmless. Sure there is not intent of real hate, but there is evidence of jealousy and envy, which is sin. A real friend would be happy for their buddy and show it, perhaps even say "I am happy for you."

I like how you point out several ways that the blogger and I are wrong because words aren't just words... then call the blogger a bonehead.

I wasn't trying to point out how you "are wrong," just how I disagree.  Semantics, perhaps, but I've been told "you're wrong" enough times that I try to not say that myself, even if I do end up saying it in different words.

As for the bonehead part, you are absolutely right and I should not have used that word, nor called him anything other than "the blogger".

Jesus wrote:
But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire. (Matthew 5:22)

Thank you, brother, for correcting me.  I have changed my post accordingly.
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: #^@&!%* Topic about $&!#   #^@&!%* Topic about $&!# - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 10:50 am

As a followup to my lengthy post above, I just want to state that I was not, and am not, trying to say that "cussing" (swearing, using profanity, whatever) is wrong. I just disagree with folks like that blogger that are trying to argue that there is no harm in it.  There is harm, or at the very least can be, in words, even my own blunder with the use of the word "bonehead." Use of profanity, or even "clean" words, like "stupid" and "bonehead," may not be sinful, but harming others is, and we as Christians must always be aware of what we are saying, who is going to hear it, and what, if any, harm may come from it. And where non-believers are concerned, if you as a Christian use profanity and it puts them in doubt of your faith, you have done harm ... to yourself, to the unbeliever, and to the Body of Christ.

[ stepping down from soapbox ]
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: #^@&!%* Topic about $&!#   #^@&!%* Topic about $&!# - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 10:50 am

I'm sorry guys, I didn't mean to upset anyone... everyone who's posted has had VERY good points and insight and I've learned from everyone here.

I F@^#*!* love you $^#* guys !! <----- bad taste humor, sorry ! JK !!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: #^@&!%* Topic about $&!#   #^@&!%* Topic about $&!# - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 11:00 am

BearDad wrote:
As a followup to my lengthy post above, I just want to state that I was not, and am not, trying to say that "cussing" (swearing, using profanity, whatever) is wrong. I just disagree with folks like that blogger that are trying to argue that there is no harm in it.  There is harm, or at the very least can be, in words, even my own blunder with the use of the word "bonehead." Use of profanity, or even "clean" words, like "stupid" and "bonehead," may not be sinful, but harming others is, and we as Christians must always be aware of what we are saying, who is going to hear it, and what, if any, harm may come from it. And where non-believers are concerned, if you as a Christian use profanity and it puts them in doubt of your faith, you have done harm ... to yourself, to the unbeliever, and to the Body of Christ.

[ stepping down from soapbox ]

I understand your point. I think there can be a lot of harm in it. But I think it's just as harmful to say "Screw you" maliciously as.. well, that other way. But if I'm playing around with a friend and drop an F-bomb, I don't think it's a big deal...

I did mean to correct you and I hope you didn't take it harshly. I have a huge plank in my own eye.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: #^@&!%* Topic about $&!#   #^@&!%* Topic about $&!# - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 11:01 am

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
I'm sorry guys, I didn't mean to upset anyone... everyone who's posted has had VERY good points and insight and I've learned from everyone here.

I F@^#*!* love you $^#* guys !! <----- bad taste humor, sorry ! JK !!!!!!!!!

No way! I thought it was hilarious!
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: #^@&!%* Topic about $&!#   #^@&!%* Topic about $&!# - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 11:45 am

ishmael81 wrote:

I think it's just as harmful to say "Screw you" maliciously as.. well, that other way.

On that we can definitely agree.  In that case it is not the word, it is the intention behind the word, which no doubt was your point with the blog (and the blogger's point as well).

ishmael81 wrote:

I if I'm playing around with a friend and drop an F-bomb, I don't think it's a big deal...

Again I agree, but only to a point. It all depends on how your buddy feels about it and responds to it. My buddy used to be a bit loose with his language, but in one way or another I let him know that I didn't like it --- not disapprove, just didn't like it --- and he has stopped.  Around me at least; obviously I don't know what he does when I'm not around. Smile  But my point is, if your buddy is in any way uncomfortable with a Christian using "foul language," then doing so is harmful and sinful, even if there is no evil intent on your part.  And it is your responsibility as a Christian, and as a friend, to know if it makes him uncomfortable. My opinion, of course. Smile

ishmael81 wrote:

I did mean to correct you and I hope you didn't take it harshly. I have a huge plank in my own eye.

Whether your intention was to correct me or not, you did and I appreciate it. That's what we as brothers are supposed to do. That sliver and plank verse keeps more Christians silent that need to speak up, as I believe (hope) I am doing here.

And yes I have a plank in my eye as well --- I hit my thumb with a hammer twice last Saturday while working on my new shed, and the word that came out the second time was not good. :/  I think I was alone, but how do I know who was on the other side of the fence?  Also, my daughter said she heard me inside the house, although I really don't think she heard the word because it was said through very gritted teeth! LOL!
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23432
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: #^@&!%* Topic about $&!#   #^@&!%* Topic about $&!# - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 12:22 pm

If you guys don %#@^& knock off the profanity I'm gonna !@##$&%#$$@#! ban you all.

Xid

PostSubject: Re: #^@&!%* Topic about $&!#   #^@&!%* Topic about $&!# - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 12:59 pm

Bite m#.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: #^@&!%* Topic about $&!#   #^@&!%* Topic about $&!# - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 1:26 pm

Quote :
I'm gonna !@##$&%#$$@#! ban you all

Wow.... that is one long cuss word I am NOT familiar with lol!
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: #^@&!%* Topic about $&!#   #^@&!%* Topic about $&!# - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 1:27 pm

4 letter words are bad enough - Staybrite you need to stop with those 13 letter words !
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: #^@&!%* Topic about $&!#   #^@&!%* Topic about $&!# - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 2:24 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Quote :

I made it up.  I save it for when I am really peeved!  Laughing

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: #^@&!%* Topic about $&!#   #^@&!%* Topic about $&!# - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 3:46 pm

BearDad wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:

I think it's just as harmful to say "Screw you" maliciously as.. well, that other way.

On that we can definitely agree.  In that case it is not the word, it is the intention behind the word, which no doubt was your point with the blog (and the blogger's point as well).

ishmael81 wrote:

I if I'm playing around with a friend and drop an F-bomb, I don't think it's a big deal...

Again I agree, but only to a point. It all depends on how your buddy feels about it and responds to it. My buddy used to be a bit loose with his language, but in one way or another I let him know that I didn't like it --- not disapprove, just didn't like it --- and he has stopped.  Around me at least; obviously I don't know what he does when I'm not around. Smile  But my point is, if your buddy is in any way uncomfortable with a Christian using "foul language," then doing so is harmful and sinful, even if there is no evil intent on your part.  And it is your responsibility as a Christian, and as a friend, to know if it makes him uncomfortable. My opinion, of course. Smile

ishmael81 wrote:

Whether your intention was to correct me or not, you did and I appreciate it. That's what we as brothers are supposed to do. That sliver and plank verse keeps more Christians silent that need to speak up, as I believe (hope) I am doing here.

And yes I have a plank in my eye as well --- I hit my thumb with a hammer twice last Saturday while working on my new shed, and the word that came out the second time was not good. :/  I think I was alone, but how do I know who was on the other side of the fence?  Also, my daughter said she heard me inside the house, although I really don't think she heard the word because it was said through very gritted teeth! LOL!

Well sure. I don't do that around the ones who are offended or bothered by it. Just like I wouldn't have a beer or two at dinner with my parents or friends who are uncomfortable with it.

Yes, oddly I try not to use those words around my son. Course, he's only 5...

It's funny because I play music and write a little fiction and my dada always said "artsy" folks were more liberal - they cuss, they drink... and I do... off topic but amusing to me.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: #^@&!%* Topic about $&!#   #^@&!%* Topic about $&!# - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 3:47 pm

Staybrite wrote:
Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Quote :

I'm offended you used the word peeved!
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: #^@&!%* Topic about $&!#   #^@&!%* Topic about $&!# - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 10:14 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Quote :

I'm offended that you used the word offended.

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: #^@&!%* Topic about $&!#   #^@&!%* Topic about $&!# - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2014 3:55 am

Staybrite wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Quote :

I;m offended that you're offended!
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: #^@&!%* Topic about $&!#   #^@&!%* Topic about $&!# - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2014 8:48 am

ishmael81 wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Quote :

Looks like my work here is done. Laughing

xenonlion

Number of posts : 1689
Registration date : 2013-08-19

PostSubject: Re: #^@&!%* Topic about $&!#   #^@&!%* Topic about $&!# - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2014 4:40 pm

Staybrite wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Quote :

Looks like my work here is done. Laughing

I'm offended that your work here is done. My work has just begun. I was a poet and I didn't know it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

PostSubject: Re: #^@&!%* Topic about $&!#   #^@&!%* Topic about $&!# - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2014 8:03 pm

xenonlion wrote:
I'm offended that your work here is done. My work has just begun. I was a poet and I didn't know it. Very Happy
But your feet knew it because they are long fellows.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: #^@&!%* Topic about $&!#   #^@&!%* Topic about $&!# - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

#^@&!%* Topic about $&!#
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2