Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Music as a drug

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2007-05-18

Music as a drug Empty
PostSubject: Music as a drug   Music as a drug I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2014 9:10 am

Read a neat article on the science behind musical nostalgia. Here's an excerpt I found particularly interesting:

But memories are meaningless without emotion—and aside from love and drugs, nothing spurs an emotional reaction like music. Brain imaging studies show that our favorite songs stimulate the brain’s pleasure circuit, which releases an influx of dopamine, serotonin, oxytocin, and other neurochemicals that make us feel good. The more we like a song, the more we get treated to neurochemical bliss, flooding our brains with some of the same neurotransmitters that cocaine chases after.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2014/08/musical_nostalgia_the_psychology_and_neuroscience_for_song_preference_and.html?wpsrc=sh_all_dt_tw_ru

I find this interesting and it explains why those of us who suffer with depression (or to put it medically, a lack of serotonin flow) are SO into music.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23432
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Music as a drug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music as a drug   Music as a drug I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2014 11:44 am

This explains why I feel like I need to listen to music to "make it" through my work day.

xenonlion

Number of posts : 1689
Registration date : 2013-08-19

Music as a drug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music as a drug   Music as a drug I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2014 4:37 pm

That's interesting.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Music as a drug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music as a drug   Music as a drug I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2014 6:23 pm

Hits those "pleasure centers" in the brain that may be lacking.

The average person may hover around a 7 or 8 on "contentment, joy, happiness" - some of us hover around a 3 to 4 on a good day... that's where vices come in. People "self-medicate" with pleasures that drive their "3" up to a 7 or 8.... music, drugs, food, sex, shopping, organizing, etc.

I find my favorite songs of all time always have a way of bringing my emotions higher.
And listening to new stuff or albums I've never heard is an attempt to find more songs that fall into that category of lifting the spirits, as they say.

Hey, it helped King Saul Laughing
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

Music as a drug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music as a drug   Music as a drug I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 10:17 am

Very true. I can be a 2 and hear some favorite music and be lifted up.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Music as a drug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music as a drug   Music as a drug I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 2:37 pm

Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
xenonlion

xenonlion

Number of posts : 1689
Registration date : 2013-08-19

Music as a drug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music as a drug   Music as a drug I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 3:40 pm

That's true. Folk metal and symphonic metal usually work really well for me. I just feel a lot better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Music as a drug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music as a drug   Music as a drug I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Music as a drug
Page 1 of 1