Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Autograph Question...

Go down 
+10
unworthy
ishmael81
Staybrite
Through The Dark Radio
metaldude
rockerVu2
Driven
alldatndensum
Xid
Guilty/Forgiven
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2007-05-18

The Autograph Question... Empty
PostSubject: The Autograph Question...   The Autograph Question... I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 6:21 pm

We're all humans here... we all think highly of our favorite musicians...
Being Christians though, we do not exalt these humans.. cuz we know that under our Savior, we're all on equal ground. We also know it's not right to lift up another human being as better, as there's a bit of idolatry in doing so (thus the term "idol" given to many stars).

Now, to my point. I have several albums autographed by artists. I even have a cool Red Sea picture that Robin and the other dude signed.
Of course I think it's cool to have their autographs, and I don't think of them any higher than anyone else, other than the fact that they rock ! But is it something we as believers shouldn't get "into" ?  If given the choice between getting a new album for 12 bucks and getting a pre-release that's autographed for 20 bucks... I usually go for the autograph. I've always been a collector and feel like the autographed items will increase in value over the years, but is it right as Christians ? 

Vic Griffin even sent me a NT Bible and wrote in the front a Scripture reference to read, then signed underneath his letter... I put that Bible with my Place Of Skulls CDs....

Am I over-thinking this ? Or is there validation to these thoughts as a believer ?

Your thoughts =
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5517
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: The Autograph Question...   The Autograph Question... I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 6:50 pm

I think it comes down to each of us as individuals.  What's the reasoning or purpose for getting the autographs? Just to have it? Bragging rights? Raise the value of a piece of merchandise?

Personally, I find collecting autographs rather pointless.  I had some for a while and ended up throwing them away.  Just another piece of nonsense I have to haul around.  On the other hand having signed albums is kinda cool.  My Bride Show No Mercy, Limited Edition blah blah CD is signed by Dale & Troy.  I forgot it was even signed until a year ago.  I came shipped with them so it's not like I was there getting their sigs on it.  But it's still kinda cool.

To each their own and I think we need to weigh our own motives and find out what the purpose of it is.

Story:  Styper was on their To Hell With the Devil Tour and came to Seattle.  I realized that I had these guys up on a pedestal and was out of balance.  So I went to the show and didn't wear any yellow or black.  I bought a shirt for a memento and stuffed it into my jacket pocket.  That was a changing point in my life.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: The Autograph Question...   The Autograph Question... I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 6:19 am

Autographs are almost always a little hero worship if we're honest.  We do look up to these people for their talents even if we aren't truly worshiping them.

I have a few CDs that are autographed, but I usually look at them when I first get them and think, "That's cool!"  Later, I forget who I have discs signed by.  LOL

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: The Autograph Question...   The Autograph Question... I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 6:57 am

I've albums signed by the Daniel Band (vinyl signed by the new band at a show), Stryper (NMHTP deluxe ed signed by the band at a show), and several others that bands offered online. Actually, right this moment, I'm ripping the new Apo' CD, Singles Group, that was signed by the band before it was mailed here. Very Happy

I just think they're cool. They usually mean that the artist took at least a few seconds out of his/her time to sign something for someone, even if it was only a few seconds.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: The Autograph Question...   The Autograph Question... I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 7:43 am

For me it's the music that counts.
I don't care for autographs, or other things.

What I always think is.
People playing in our favorite bands are human beens too.
What they do is sharing the gospel through their songs.

But to have a good conversation with the members of my favorite bands is something I like more than having autographs or autographed albums.

Last edited by rockerVu2 on Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
metaldude

metaldude

Number of posts : 790
Registration date : 2014-05-07

PostSubject: Re: The Autograph Question...   The Autograph Question... I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 9:09 am

I don't have anything that I bought autographed. I do, however, have things that I had autographed when I had opportunity to meet and talk with the bands. I have two Rez albums autographed when I met them. The same with Sacred Warrior or Barren Cross.  Rez played a huge role in my introduction to Christian rock and, eventually, becoming a Christian. Other things were given to me by friends. I guess there's a sentimental reason for any autographed items I have. There's some memory attached to them.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: The Autograph Question...   The Autograph Question... I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 9:19 am

So for some, it's the "collector's aspect", others it's the "sentimental purposes", still others it's just cool, but no big deal.

I think I fall a little in the category of a "collector" who thinks "this may be worth more at a later date", and also the category of "that's cool, but I forget which albums I have signed..."
I will be flipping thru albums and hit one that's autographed and stop, realizing "oh yeh, that one's signed ! how cool !", then move on.

I once bought the self titled Disciple CD as the cover was signed, but the cd was trashed beyond listening to... last week I bought a like new copy of the album, then just took the signed cover from before and added it to the new CD. In total, I think I paid less than 10 bucks for both cds, but I ended up with a nice album signed by the entire band.
The Autograph Question... Disc10
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: The Autograph Question...   The Autograph Question... I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 9:24 am

I actually bought a Deliverance - What A Joke CD on eBay and found out that the entire band had autographed it on the inside picture.  It wasn't mentioned in the listing either Very Happy

Also had the same thing with Tourniquet's Vanishing Lessons CD I got on eBay.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23432
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: The Autograph Question...   The Autograph Question... I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 1:25 pm

Through The Dark Radio wrote:
I actually bought a Deliverance - What A Joke CD on eBay and found out that the entire band had autographed it on the inside picture.  It wasn't mentioned in the listing either Very Happy

The same thing happened to me, but I can't even remember what album it is.

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: The Autograph Question...   The Autograph Question... I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 2:04 pm

I have two cd's in my whole collection autographed: Michael Knott - Rocket and a Bomb, and John Mark McMillan - The John Mark McMillan EP.

I have mixed emotions about autographs. Reese Roper, one of my favorite 3 artists (vocalist and lyricist for Five Iron Frenzy, Roper, Brave Saint Saturn and Guerilla Rodeo) refuses to sign autographs because he believes as alldat does - it's hero worship. But, I see the point of them too... it's just kinda cool.

Outside of music, I have Matt Carpenter's autograph on a picture and Ozzie Smith's autograph on a baseball.
Back to top Go down
unworthy

unworthy

Number of posts : 856

PostSubject: Re: The Autograph Question...   The Autograph Question... I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 2:06 pm

if you ever decide to get rid of those baseball autographs.. you can send 'em to me lol ... Ozzie Smith is my favorite player
Back to top Go down
http://www.tourniquetfan.net/me/
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: The Autograph Question...   The Autograph Question... I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 3:08 pm

I hear ya dude - he's my favorite Cardinal.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: The Autograph Question...   The Autograph Question... I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 3:31 pm

But I think back to the original question it all goes back to motivation.  I have a cd from one of the few local Christian bands that was autographed by most of the band at the show where I got the cd.  Not only am I not worried about any idol worship for a bunch of musicians who are mostly 20 years my junior...but I can't even remember any of their names without reading the cd (lol).

So I would say if your motivation to have the autographs is because you think they are kind of neat, or even remind of a fun show/concert you attended than I can't really see any harm in that.  If you just have to have them to complete some sort of obsessive collection of superfandom...then yes, maybe there is a problem with that.

Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: The Autograph Question...   The Autograph Question... I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 4:38 pm

Even though I do think it is a little bit of hero worship, I did not say it was bad, either.  I think that, if you get the autograph just to remember the moment, think the player is amazing, or just think its cool to have, then its okay.  I've even signed a few of mine for people.

The problem with hero worship is when you start to act like the artist, dress like the artist, obsess with posters all over the walls, and can't function/talk without mentioning the artist.  I have done that in my younger years.  Now, I just realize that these musicians play better than me because they practice more than me.  They are more successful than me because they work at it harder than me.  There's nothing to worship.  I do, however, admire their gifts and their drive to succeed.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: The Autograph Question...   The Autograph Question... I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 9:19 am

Well sure. I love Reese Roper - probably my favorite songwriter next to Michael Knott - but I disagree with that stance...

Sometimes, it's just a cool thing...
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: The Autograph Question...   The Autograph Question... I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 10:24 am

I've gotten several used CDs from ebay, Amazon or even thrift stores that had authentic autographs on them. I didn't even buy them for the signatures, but it's always a nice bonus...
I feel like there's something more personal about the album than just the CD. Knowing the artist(s) actually took the time to sign the album makes it more personal. I don't feel hero worship though, like I did when I was younger. In my mid-40s, I have the attitude that they're all just people... but I still like having their autograph on their albums... it's sort of like having a beautiful painting to enjoy and the artist never signed it... There's something personal and cool about an autograph. But ultimately I'm neither here nor there about it.
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: The Autograph Question...   The Autograph Question... I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 11:41 am

I've only got one autographed CD--Whitecross High Gear.  I bought it at a show and the band hung around chatting with fans afterward.  Funny thing was I wasn't looking to have it autographed.  I was just standing around with a bunch of people talking to Scott and people started asking him to sign, so he went down the line signing people's CDs and then just grabbed mine because it was there.  Then I thought I might as well get everyone's because it seemed incomplete with just one.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

PostSubject: Re: The Autograph Question...   The Autograph Question... I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 11:50 am

Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: The Autograph Question...   The Autograph Question... I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 2:09 pm

Michael Knot.
Is he a member or founder from Knoteye?
It's only a question.
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: The Autograph Question...   The Autograph Question... I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 2:14 pm

rockerVu2 wrote:
Michael Knot.
Is he a member or founder from Knoteye?
It's only a question.

I'm not sure, but I do knot think so.

(sorry... couldn't resist, I really have no idea)
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: The Autograph Question...   The Autograph Question... I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 2:28 pm

What's funny is that if we were talking about paintings nobody would even think this issue even worthy of discussion.

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: The Autograph Question...   The Autograph Question... I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 7:03 pm

Valid point.
I see the work and creation of music as art... same as any painter or sculptor. It's an art form, a creative work... thus worthy of an autograph just like a painting.

So long as we're not building altars to the objects signed, or idolize them in any way.
I think most of us here could agree we just think it's cool that our fav artists have signed their "art", and we therefore appreciate having an album that's not simply a cookie cutter, mass duplicated copy that everyone else has... rather, we have a personalized copy that the artist took the time to sign.

I didn't ask Vic Griffin to sign the Place of Skulls CDs, but cuz he did, I not only have the CDs to enjoy, but I feel like he cared enough to autograph his work personally to me.
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3120
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: The Autograph Question...   The Autograph Question... I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 7:44 pm

A couple I bought that way, got Barren Cross Rock For The King vinyl for 3 bucks signed on eBay. Ordered Mass Sea Of Black and it was signed from the website. Same with Saint Desperate Night... But I worked in rock radio from 1990-2005 and have tons of autographs from a lot of bands. A lot of signed Styx stuff. I dont think much about it, initially it is cool but I forget about it and have to go back and look to see what I have... Just looked and I have Randy Castillo, Ozzy's drummer from No More Tears and he signed the CD for me, VERY nice man... Cool to have because he passed away a few years ago.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

PostSubject: Re: The Autograph Question...   The Autograph Question... I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 7:45 pm

Staybrite wrote:
What's funny is that if we were talking about paintings nobody would even think this issue even worthy of discussion.
Most artists put their signature on their paintings anyway.  If we were art connoisseurs instead of music buffs then I think the issue would be worthy of discussion.  Some art lovers are whacked out bat poop crazy over certain artists.
Back to top Go down
unworthy

unworthy

Number of posts : 856

PostSubject: Re: The Autograph Question...   The Autograph Question... I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 8:39 pm

whacked out bat poop crazy
Back to top Go down
http://www.tourniquetfan.net/me/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Autograph Question...   The Autograph Question... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Autograph Question...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next