Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Women in Metal

Go down 
+7
Driven
Staybrite
kerrick
Hardkore
Through The Dark Radio
bassdude
BearDad
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BearDad

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

Women in Metal Empty
PostSubject: Women in Metal   Women in Metal I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2015 6:11 am

Interesting to see that Lacy Sturm made this "top 10" list.

http://www.watchmojo.com/video/id/12919/

As far as the rest of the list goes, I agree with all of them except the growler at #4 or 5 (whichever it was).

I am in 100% agreement with #1 though!
Back to top Go down
bassdude

bassdude

Number of posts : 614
Registration date : 2012-06-08

Women in Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women in Metal   Women in Metal I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2015 8:44 am

Simone Simons and Floor Jansen are my 2 favorite female vocalists in metal.....just wish the lyrical content was a bit more positive.
Back to top Go down
BearDad

Women in Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women in Metal   Women in Metal I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2015 9:05 am

bassdude wrote:
Simone Simons and Floor Jansen are my 2 favorite female vocalists in metal.....just wish the lyrical content was a bit more positive.

I would LOVE to see a Christian version of Tarja, Epica, or Nightwish!

(   Stupid oh there I go, labeling music again.  Very Happy  )
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

Women in Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women in Metal   Women in Metal I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2015 9:24 am

Personally I would add Kitty Saric but that's just me Very Happy

And I'm truly surprised that Lita Ford wasn't mentioned scratch
Back to top Go down
BearDad

Women in Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women in Metal   Women in Metal I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2015 9:29 am

Through The Dark Radio wrote:

And I'm truly surprised that Lita Ford wasn't mentioned scratch

I hadn't noticed, but you are right ... that is a definite oversight.

Another one I like is Leah.  She's not really metal, but neither is Amy Lee!
Back to top Go down
Hardkore

Hardkore

Number of posts : 2560
Registration date : 2007-06-03

Women in Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women in Metal   Women in Metal I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2015 10:11 am

BearDad wrote:
bassdude wrote:

Well, there is Johanna Aaltonen of HB. Yes ,she is back with the band.
Back to top Go down
BearDad

Women in Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women in Metal   Women in Metal I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2015 10:46 am

Hardkore wrote:
BearDad wrote:
bassdude wrote:

Well, there is Johanna Aaltonen of HB. Yes ,she is back with the band.

I've never really heard HB, just a YT vid here and there.  I'll have to check them out.

Lately I am finding my favorite style (genre?) of metal to be symphonic. I'm listening to Epica right now and really digging the operatic choral parts with the accompanying drums and guiitars, as well as Simone's soaring soprano.
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2013-07-17

Women in Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women in Metal   Women in Metal I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2015 10:56 am

BearDad wrote:
bassdude wrote:

You ARE familiar with Whisper From Heaven, yes?  It's Derek Corzine (Syringe, Blood Thirsty, Cosyns...) and his wife (who has a fantastic voice!).  They've got a few more members now and are a full band.  They're working on their debut full-length now.  But in the mean time, you can purchase their single which is really really good.  They're a bit different than the bands you mentioned, but they have some similarities.  I think you'll like!

http://whisperfromheaven.bandcamp.com/
Back to top Go down
BearDad

Women in Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women in Metal   Women in Metal I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2015 11:14 am

kerrick wrote:

You ARE familiar with Whisper From Heaven, yes?  It's Derek Corzine (Syringe, Blood Thirsty, Cosyns...) and his wife (who has a fantastic voice!).  They've got a few more members now and are a full band.  They're working on their debut full-length now.  But in the mean time, you can purchase their single which is really really good.  They're a bit different than the bands you mentioned, but they have some similarities.  I think you'll like!

http://whisperfromheaven.bandcamp.com/

Laughing
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2013-07-17

Women in Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women in Metal   Women in Metal I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2015 11:32 am

Glad I can be of service.  afro

I haven't interacted with Amulyn or the rest of the band, but Derek is one of those guys you just feel good about supporting (and the rest of the crew certainly seems that way from what I've seen).  He's a super talented musician who's humble, kind, and bold in his faith and message.  I highly recommend checking out some of his other projects.

http://bloodthirstymetal.bandcamp.com/
http://syringeministry.bandcamp.com/ (FREE album and it's real good)
http://cosyns.bandcamp.com/
Back to top Go down
BearDad

Women in Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women in Metal   Women in Metal I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2015 2:08 pm

^^ I'll pass on the bloodthirsty and syringe stuff ... not really into death/black/etc.  However, Cosyns sounds great; I might just have to part with a five dollar bill. Smile
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23424
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Women in Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women in Metal   Women in Metal I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2015 2:36 pm

I am a huge fan of female fronted hard rock and metal, but unlike BearDad I am not so big a fan of most symphonic music.  I was glad to see that the list included Doro or else it wouldn't have been a proper list!  Laughing (seriously...she is the best).  But I can't help but think Doro was added to just pay a nod to the "old school"....kind of like the way Angela Gossow seems to get added to cover the "extereme" metal crowd, and the gal from Evanescence get's added to cover the "gothic" gang.
Never-the-less it was a fun video compilation.

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

Women in Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women in Metal   Women in Metal I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2015 6:15 pm

I've always enjoyed Nancy Jo Mann's vocals. Barnabas was an excellent band, and Njo was (and probably still is) an excellent vocalist.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Women in Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women in Metal   Women in Metal I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2015 6:48 pm

Driven wrote:
I've always enjoyed Nancy Jo Mann's vocals. Barnabas was an excellent band, and Njo was (and probably still is) an excellent vocalist.

Agreed!  Thumbs Up

Women in Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women in Metal   Women in Metal I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2015 12:09 am

my list of top females in hard rock and metal would be as follows..

Joan Jett
Lita Ford
Doro Pesch
Lee AAron
Ann Wilson (heart)
Charlotte Wessels (Delain)
Lisa Faxom (Ransom)
Sharon den Adel (within temptation)
Grog (Die So Fluid)
Anni DE Vil (Hysterica)
Veronica Freeman (Benedictum)
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

Women in Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women in Metal   Women in Metal I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2015 8:07 am

I definitely think Floor should have been on the list and not an honorable mention.  I'm also one of the freaks who prefers post-Tarja Nightwish, but I don't begrudge her getting the top spot.  Technically she has an amazing voice, I just don't care for it in a metal context.  I was disappointed that Lita and Ann Wilson weren't on there--maybe even Pat Benatar, but perhaps she wasn't hard rock enough.  I'd listen to Amy Lee, Lzzy Hale, and Sharon den Adel sing the phone book.

Not to derail this thread, but there's also a male vocalist list that has some very predictable names and a couple "what??" moments.
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

Women in Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women in Metal   Women in Metal I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2015 8:07 am

Maybe I need to listen to more HB, but I've never really gotten the Nightwish comparison as strongly as others do.
Back to top Go down
BearDad

Women in Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women in Metal   Women in Metal I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2015 8:29 am

messiaen77 wrote:
I definitely think Floor should have been on the list and not an honorable mention.  I'm also one of the freaks who prefers post-Tarja Nightwish, but I don't begrudge her getting the top spot.  Technically she has an amazing voice, I just don't care for it in a metal context.  I was disappointed that Lita and Ann Wilson weren't on there--maybe even Pat Benatar, but perhaps she wasn't hard rock enough.  I'd listen to Amy Lee, Lzzy Hale, and Sharon den Adel sing the phone book.

Not to derail this thread, but there's also a male vocalist list that has some very predictable names and a couple "what??" moments.

Well, like any "top ten" list there are bound to be some that should have been included and some that perhaps shouldn't have been.  I agree with the thought that certain women were picked more to pay homage to a style or sub-genre than for talent alone ... I would never consider punk a metal sub-genre, but I suppose it's hard rock. Also, the growler was required to appease the extreme metal lovers, although calling her vocal style a talent is a stretch IMO.

You are right in that Nancy Wilson and Pat Benatar were more-or-less snubbed, but perhaps they are too "pop".  Lita Ford getting left off, however, is simply disgraceful.
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Women in Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women in Metal   Women in Metal I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2015 8:58 am

BearDad wrote:
Quote :
Also, the growler was required to appease the extreme metal lovers, although calling her vocal style a talent is a stretch IMO.

You are right in that Nancy Wilson and Pat Benatar were more-or-less snubbed, but perhaps they are too "pop".  Lita Ford getting left off, however, is simply disgraceful.

You've obviously never tried to do such growl/screech vocals before . . . not as easy as you think Twisted Evil

And not having Lita is definitely a travesty.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417

Women in Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women in Metal   Women in Metal I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2015 9:06 am

A couple observations:

I didn't recognize Lacey in that first Flyleaf video with her hair cut and no eye makeup.

The Distillers! Yay!

Angela Gassow - I've heard female growlers but she's pretty good. I know some of you guys talk smack about it but if you try it, it's crazy hard.

And yes I agree it's odd that Heart wasn't included.

Top ten lists are so arbitrary and dfficult to do. I will give them credit for a pretty good job tho.
Back to top Go down
bassdude

bassdude

Number of posts : 614

Women in Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women in Metal   Women in Metal I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2015 9:09 am

I'm not the biggest fan of Arch Enemy....but the new girl, Alyssa White-Gluz, is WAY WAY better than Angela Gossow.
Her growls are just as vicious, but she can also actually sing as well.
Back to top Go down
BearDad

Women in Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women in Metal   Women in Metal I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2015 10:06 am

Through The Dark Radio wrote:
BearDad wrote:
Quote :
Also, the growler was required to appease the extreme metal lovers, although calling her vocal style a talent is a stretch IMO.

You've obviously never tried to do such growl/screech vocals before . . . not as easy as you think Twisted Evil

And not having Lita is definitely a travesty.

Oh, I know it isn't easy .... I'm just not convinced it's what I would call a talent. JMO, of course.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5516
Registration date : 2014-03-12

Women in Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women in Metal   Women in Metal I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2015 12:56 pm

BearDad wrote:
Oh, I know it isn't easy .... I'm just not convinced it's what I would call a talent. JMO, of course.

You aren't alone...
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Women in Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women in Metal   Women in Metal I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2015 3:49 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
A couple observations:

I didn't recognize Lacey in that first Flyleaf video with her hair cut and no eye makeup.

I noticed that too, I think it might have been a newer picture of the band with the singer that actually replaced Lacey (kind of funny if that is the case).

I also think the reason we didn't see Ann Wilson (who is the greatest IMHO), Joan Jett, Pat Benatar etc.  Is because the list was for "women of metal".  I don't think any of the bands those women front would be considered metal.

Through The Dark Radio

Women in Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women in Metal   Women in Metal I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2015 4:13 pm

Staybrite wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:
A couple observations:

I noticed that too, I think it might have been a newer picture of the band with the singer that actually replaced Lacey (kind of funny if that is the case).

I also think the reason we didn't see Ann Wilson (who is the greatest IMHO), Joan Jett, Pat Benatar etc.  Is because the list was for "women of metal".  I don't think any of the bands those women front would be considered metal.

Actually, they said hard rock and metal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Women in Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women in Metal   Women in Metal I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Women in Metal
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: Warped Drive - General Discussion-
Jump to: