Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS!

Go down 
+11
messiaen77
ishmael81
MikeInFla
Fundy
Hardkore
Dynamis
Xid
alldatndensum
Samson
rockerVu2
Staybrite
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23416
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS! Empty
PostSubject: Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS!   Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS! I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 23, 2018 3:43 pm

I was inspired by another thread to start another Dumb Kwestion Query.  So is the 38th Dumb Kwestion we have done here at our little community.

Ok, by know we know that nearly all of us here love Christian metal/hard rock/rock in some form....but what do we do for a living?  What kinds of jobs have you had.  Do you have a parent/spouse/sibling with an interesting or strange job?  Has everyone in your family had a boring 9 to 5 type job?  Has anyone here worked in the same field of work their entire adult life? (I'm guessing that might be a "no" for just about everyone)

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16567
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS!   Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS! I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 23, 2018 4:00 pm

I followed a course for florist.
I have only never worked as a florist, I am allergic to a lot of pollen. Then a flower shop is not a good place to work.

I worked as a telephonist receptionist in the town hall of the place where I live.

Years later I was responsible for making flower arrangements for church.
I loved to do that.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS!   Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS! I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 23, 2018 5:12 pm

rockerVu2 wrote:

Years later I was responsible for making flower arrangements for church.
I loved to do that.

You are very good at it, your flower and plant arrangements you have shown us are very beautiful.

Samson

Number of posts : 734
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS!   Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS! I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 23, 2018 7:42 pm

I was a dishwasher for a mom and pop seafood restaurant while in high school.
I was a cashier for Piggly Wiggly in Kansas City after I graduated.
I did two 5 year stints at Aramark Uniform Services
I was a carpenter for 7 years
Today, I work as a shift leader at Dollar General. Been there for 4 years and 3 months. Love what I do very much.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23465
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS!   Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS! I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 23, 2018 8:21 pm

I started out at Walmart after high school.  I stayed about 3 1/2 months

I then worked at Texas Boot Co. for almost two years.

I then went to Bridgestone where I worked several different positions making tires for big rigs and buses for almost 19 years.}

We went on strike in 1992 and I worked at a Hardee's making biscuits for three whole weeks.

During this time, I started working as a youth pastor as well.  I have been doing youth ministry for 18 years now.

I left Bridgestone in 2009 to take the youth pastorate where I currently serve.  I took a job to supplement my income as a substitute teacher after starting at the church.  Two years later, I moved into an aid job with special needs high school students.  I love these kids!  They are amazing people with a lot of disabilities but seem to just enjoy life despite their limitations.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5516
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS!   Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS! I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 23, 2018 10:00 pm

Washed dishes and flipped burgers in High School.

Did roofing for a couple of years right out of High School.

Worked at a custom closet company for another year or two.

Landscaping Maintenance for about 5 years.

Driver for a metal roofing company.

Driver/Warehouse manager for a metal building and roofing company.

Tech Support for Appian Graphics.

Unemployed for about a year.

Tech Support at Stream.  Walked out on that job.

Tire Rama busting tires for about 6 months.

Tech Support/IT for the local MLS.  This is my 15th year.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS!   Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS! I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2018 12:43 pm

Samson wrote:
Today, I work as a shift leader at Dollar General. Been there for 4 years and 3 months. Love what I do very much.

I think that counts for a lot (although I am surprised, seems like it could be quite the stressful job).

alldatndensum wrote:

I then worked at Texas Boot Co. for almost two years.

We went on strike in 1992 and I worked at a Hardee's making biscuits for three whole weeks.

What did you do at the Boot Co.?
Making biscuits for a couple of weeks sounds like it might have been a nice change.

Xid wrote:

Tire Rama busting tires for about 6 months.

Busting tires?  You mean, like tearing them up for recycle?

Xid

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS!   Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS! I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2018 12:46 pm

Staybrite wrote:

That's just what called the labor work out in the garage.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS!   Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS! I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2018 1:07 pm

Xid wrote:
Staybrite wrote:

That's just what called the labor work out in the garage.

Ok, that makes sense.  Laughing

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS!   Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS! I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2018 1:14 pm

Seems like I have had quite a few jobs myself.

During junior high I had a few paper routes (with 30-40 customers).

During high school I worked part-time for a guy who installed custom blinds and drapes (fun job).  I also spent two short weeks as a phone solicitor.

Right after high school I went to work washing dishes and busing tables at a restaurant in the airport (about 9 months).

Then I was in the Army for three years.  I was a medic in an Airborne Infantry unit.

After the army I worked at a local newspaper for 6-8 weeks, then worked at a brick factory for around 4 weeks.

I spent the next 2-1/2 years working as a roofer.

Then I spent the next 5 years in college working part-time as a research assistant and also in the Veterans office helping with vets getting their education benefits.

After college I worked as a Geotechnical engineer for about 7 months, then I left that to be a Structural Engineer…I’ve been trying to keep buildings from falling down now for 19 years

Xid

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS!   Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS! I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2018 1:57 pm

Staybrite wrote:
I’ve been trying to keep buildings from falling down now for 19 years

Any luck?
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS!   Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS! I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2018 3:14 pm

Xid wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
I’ve been trying to keep buildings from falling down now for 19 years

Any luck?

Yes....for the most part.

Xid

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS!   Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS! I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2018 3:28 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23465
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS!   Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS! I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2018 4:33 pm

Quote :
What did you do at the Boot Co.?
Making biscuits for a couple of weeks sounds like it might have been a nice change.

Making biscuits was insanely fast.  You'd work 5-6 hours and it flew by.  The worst part of it was cleaning up after the breakfast rush.  Flour gets everywhere in the back, including the cooler, and we had to sweep/mop every day before we could leave.

I worked in the factory at Texas Boot.  I started off on rough rounding machine.  When the boot sole it attached, it is just glued on.  It is also way too big.  My machine trimmed off all the extra sole before the boots went to the next step where stitchers sewed the soles on.  It was on this rough rounding machine that I caught my left ring finger in and cut off about an inch of my finger.  I held it together to keep blood flow going, and they were able to reattach it.  I had a numb fingertip for 20 years after that.  I didn't care as I was still able to play bass and guitar.

After a long time of rough rounding, I moved departments to a higher paying job.  The upper part of the boot is made first, and then the material that becomes the foot is attached.  Then, the foot part is stapled to a fake foot called a last.  My job was to run the machine that stapled the footer to the last to prepare it for having the soles attached.  I learned a great deal about how to keep my fingers out of machines from rough rounding and never was caught in one there again.  LOL

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Dynamis

Dynamis

Number of posts : 1646
Registration date : 2007-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS!   Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS! I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2018 10:38 pm

My 'resume' reads as follows:

I started out in high school stocking shelves at a local used book store (for three months during the summer).

After high school and into college I did the typical run of entry level jobs:

1. Washed dishes at a restaurant at the local bowling alley
2. Delivered pizzas at Domino's (great fun job)
3. Washed dishes at the college kitchen
4. Janitorial work at an electronic parts assembly company
5. Flipping burgers at Burger King (couldn't get out of there fast enough...)
6. Delivering pizzas at Domino's (again)

Returned to school in 1989 and by the end of the year landed my first 'real job' in the medical billing and collection field (for an HMO in the Portland area).  Stayed there for 15 years before making the move to Phoenix.

Took a two year sabbatical from the workforce until I landed my current job (doing the same work) for a large medical group in the Phoenix area.  Been there since early 2007.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelicwarlord.com/
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS!   Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS! I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2018 11:59 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
Quote :
....  I learned a great deal about how to keep my fingers out of machines from rough rounding and never was caught in one there again.  LOL

I'll bet, yikes!

Dynamis wrote:

1. Washed dishes at a restaurant at the local bowling alley
2. Delivered pizzas at Domino's (great fun job)
3. Washed dishes at the college kitchen
5. Flipping burgers at Burger King (couldn't get out of there fast enough...)
6. Delivering pizzas at Domino's (again)

So far it looks like everyone (except for Yvonne) has spent a little time in the food service industry at some point.  It will be interesting if the trend continues with other posters.

Hardkore

Number of posts : 2559
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS!   Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS! I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 25, 2018 1:15 am

I can't remember if this was back in middle or high school...non-official jobs...

My dad used to run an electronics type company by himself. During the summers away from school I went with him.

A buddy of the family was building his familys new house without a construction company. I went with him on Saturdays doing oddball stuff- mixing cement and pouring it, moving cement blocks to where they were needed...by hand,and other stuff.

Official jobs...after high school...

My first was for a company called Welcome that was owned and run by Kroger- 7 years there. The store ended up being bought by local competition, who late got bought out. That company got bought out after them,and the next one did too.

In the mean time during all of the buying out I was working for a different competing store. After that I was doing pizza delivery for Little Caesars. While I was still there I got a second job starting at Walmart. I worked both for about 6 months only getting a 3 hour nap in between each. Since then and up to now I have been at Walmart. Next month will be my 23 year anniversary at Walmart.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS!   Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS! I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 25, 2018 12:43 pm

Hardkore wrote:
.... Since then and up to now I have been at Walmart. Next month will be my 23 year anniversary at Walmart.

Wow, 23 years at the same company, that is impressive!  I'm guessing that might be a record (at least with regards to our little community).

Fundy

Number of posts : 5323
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS!   Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS! I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 25, 2018 1:32 pm

I had 4 jobs in 4 years after I left school.  Then I spent 4 years working in Medical Insurance (in the admin department).  Since then I have spent 20 years (this year) in my current job working in a Printers/Publishers.

Not very exciting, but I do love my job, so that's good!

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
Dynamis

Dynamis

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS!   Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS! I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 25, 2018 6:41 pm

Quote :
I also spent two short weeks as a phone solicitor.

I forgot to add that I also did phone solicitor work ('telemarketing') but only for a couple of days...

Quote :
After that I was doing pizza delivery for Little Caesars.

This brings back memories- I recall working 10 to 11 hours shifts at Domino's until the wee hours of the morning, getting up the same day and doing the same thing all over the next day.  Oh, to be young again...

But it was a fun job.  Nothing beats driving around in your car delivering pizza's while listening to music.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS!   Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS! I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2018 1:40 am

Fundy wrote:
I had 4 jobs in 4 years after I left school.  Then I spent 4 years working in Medical Insurance (in the admin department).  Since then I have spent 20 years (this year) in my current job working in a Printers/Publishers.

Do tell, what were those 4 jobs?

Dynamis wrote:
Quote :
I also spent two short weeks as a phone solicitor.

I forgot to add that I also did phone solicitor work ('telemarketing') but only for a couple of days...

I have a feeling the telemarketing industry chews employees up and spits them out.  The first week I worked at the company I had their best sales ever and was recognized in front of the team for it.  The second week I had the lowest sales (of the current employees) and they threatened to let me go if I didn't improve (also in front of everybody).  I said "I will save you the trouble, I quit, I will be back on Monday for my check."

Dynamis

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS!   Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS! I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2018 8:05 am

Quote :
I have a feeling the telemarketing industry chews employees up and spits them out.  The first week I worked at the company I had their best sales ever and was recognized in front of the team for it.  The second week I had the lowest sales (of the current employees) and they threatened to let me go if I didn't improve (also in front of everybody).  I said "I will save you the trouble, I quit, I will be back on Monday for my check."

My telemarketing experience took place in the late eighties in the Portland area.  I had just finished school and was desperate for a job to pay the bills- any job!  So I answered the classified add in The Oregonian and showed up for my first shift at this old run down building located in what we will say is not the best section of town.  Problem was not necessarily the work but rather it was a smoking environment- EVERYONE smoked (co-workers, management, ownership) and recall coming home from my first shift with my eyes burning, throat scratchy, etc.  So needless to say did not return for my second shift...
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3117
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS!   Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS! I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2018 1:11 pm

In high school (10th grade) I worked at KMart. Stayed there for several years and enjoyed it. I worked in apparel. Restocking inventory and helping customers. I seemed to get stuck a lot in the "ladies" section where people would try to embarrass me by asking which bra would look best on them. I would normally say "go get a red one" or "go get a smaller size" or something similar. Had a lot of friends there and it was fun. Sometimes I would trade name tags with a girl named Misty. She would wear mine and I would wear hers. I also had a name tag that said "Alfonso".

When I started college I also started working part time in radio. Started off at a Christian AM station that had very little music (in an 8 hour day I might play 2 hours of music total and it was never at one time, usually in 15 or 30 minute sets before another program started). It was quite boring but educational. I left there and started at a Top 40 station. I am not sure if this link will work or not but you can try. Here is an OLD clip of me talking about the Vanilla Ice movie "Cool As Ice". Probably 1991 or 1992.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gstywc3rgq1bskl/mikebridgescoolasice.mp3?dl=0

After I graduated from college I moved around a lot, all radio jobs. Moved to Panama City, FL in 2000.  Worked at a company that had 4 stations so I worked on all of them. So much so that I had to use different names on the air. Here is one of the last times I was on the air:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lw6eqk2vnisqpa3/mikeasjeffstone2004.mp3?dl=0

I burned out in 2005 and wanted to do something else. I began to hate the business and started at the paper mill in 2005. Been here ever since.

So I haven't job hopped much at all. I've had an enjoyable working experience everywhere I have been. Radio used to be fun before everything became automated. Most radio shows you hear now are NOT live. That is called "voice tracking". I could voice track 5 days in advance and say "good afternoon it's 3:05" and it would play back a few days later around 3:05. Amazing but not fun.

Again, not sure if those links above will work or not I might be the only one that can see them. I used to tape record myself on the air. Used to have hours upon hours of it but now only have maybe an hour or less left.

Last edited by MikeInFla on Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5323
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS!   Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS! I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2018 1:39 pm

Staybrite wrote:
Fundy wrote:

Do tell, what were those 4 jobs?

1 - D.I.Y. store
2 - Insurance clerk
3 - Insurance assistant
4 - worked in a solicitors (lawyers) as a general dogs body  lol!

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS!   Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS! I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2018 2:14 pm

In order:
High school
June to August 1998 during the summer I worked for a factory that makes snow cone machines putting one bolt into a hole. By hand. For 12 hours. 
May to December 1999 six months as a cashier for a hardware company

College
February 2000 to April 2003 local convenience store cashier
April 2003 to April 2005 delivery driver then shipping manager for a local office supply company

After college
April 2005 to October 2007 direct care, case manager and supervisor for a children’s home
October 2007 to June 2009 unit leader at mental health facility for serial sex offenders
June 2009 to October 2017 Supervisor at facility for adults with disabilities 
October to December 2017 two months of hell
January 2018 to current MetLife as an auto adjuster
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS!   Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dumb Kwestion #38.....JOBS!
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next