Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Jewel cases or digipacks poll.

Go down 
+8
Fundy
Dynamis
MikeInFla
alldatndensum
Staybrite
Guilty/Forgiven
Driven
rockerVu2
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Digipacks or jewel cases?
I like digipacks
Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 2 I_vote_lcap0%Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
I really don't like them
Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 2 I_vote_lcap15%Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 15% [ 3 ]
I like jewel cases
Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 2 I_vote_lcap65%Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 65% [ 13 ]
I really don't like them
Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 2 I_vote_lcap0%Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Other option
Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 2 I_vote_lcap20%Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 20% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 20

AuthorMessage
Readi_Sketti

Readi_Sketti

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2012-01-12

Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 7:09 pm

Yeah, I am ok with either one, but I think the jewel cases look more professional and if I had the choice of one or the other I would pick jewel. But the case wouldn't stop me from buying it.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23462
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 7:54 pm

For some reason I get the feeling that digis are more acceptable among the younger music fans.

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 9:12 pm

Staybrite wrote:
For some reason I get the feeling that digis are more acceptable among the younger music fans.

Maybe, but not really with me. Razz
Back to top Go down
Thomas

Thomas

Number of posts : 574
Registration date : 2007-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 1:40 am

Quote :
They polled all the kids at the mall, and the Justin Bieber concerts.
Yeah, that's about it... you nailed it there! Very Happy

Yvonne: It totally depends on the album, but yeah, many albums have had multiple versions made for different countries. I've known of certain albums that have had up to four or even five different versions released for sale in differen countries. I don't think this is AS common in the Christian market, though... mostly in the secular market I think, where there is a lot more money being pumped into these releases.

-----------
Back to top Go down
http://www.unforsaken.ca
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23483
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 7:50 am

I don't think it is the younger generation that love digis. The younger generations have grown up with iPods and other MP3 players. They couldn't care less about a CD. Period.

They are probably polling the people they want to get the results they want. They are polling the "save the earth" people who think that hybrid cars are the answer. They are selling the new digis as somethink that is "environmentally friendly" so that more liberal minded folks will buy them to save the world.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Thomas

Thomas

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2012 3:13 pm

Yeah, and I fail to see HOW digi's are supposed to be more environmentally friendly anyway... unless they are assuming that people throw out the plastic jewel case and just keep the disc...? Yes, I have actually heard that argument, and I think it is ridiculous. I don't know about you guys, but personally, I prefer to have something to keep the disc safe in, so I'm not throwing out hundreds of jewel cases!

And beside that, what happens when your digipak gets ruined, as we have well established in this thread that they do? When the PLASTIC tray won't stay on the cardboard anymore, what are you going to do with it? MOST people will throw it out! So where's the environmentally friendliness there? Not to mention how UNenvironmentally friendly the actual process of manufacturing the DISC ITSELF is! So getting away from jewel cases in the name of saving the planet really doesn't accomplish very much at all.

---------
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2012 3:23 pm

Too much logic there, Thomas. You can't use logic on the record industry. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Thomas

Thomas

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2012 3:59 pm

Yeah, that's for sure!
Unfortunately, I'm a logical person... maybe I don't belong in the music industry!
Very Happy

------------
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3123
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2012 5:26 pm

The absolute WORST digipack I have so far is Journey's "Eclipse". Garbage!
Back to top Go down
Thomas

Thomas

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 1:58 am

Yeah, I saw that one, and I put it back again, HOPING that there MIGHT be a jewel case version out there somewhere... probably not, though... I'll probably have to give in and buy the digi.

What is actually wrong with it, anyway? Beside just being a digi, that is...

-------
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 6:36 am

Paper thin. It has a booklet stuffed inside there but it feels VERY cheaply made. The disc just slides in and out and will easily fall out.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 7:42 am

If the digi is that cheaply made, then I would just as soon buy the downloads.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 8:12 am

And then burn a disc for a jewel case. Works for me. Razz
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16573
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 1:36 pm

You never know when you order a CD if it's a digipack or a jewel case.
When I get a package with a new CD I don't like it to see it's a digipack.
Back to top Go down
Joe C

Joe C

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 11:34 pm

Saint - The Originals reissues digipacks (Retroactive Records) should be replaced or recalled. The Discs fall out of the tray. The record company is aware of the problem but has offered no solutions for the problem.
Back to top Go down
Thomas

Thomas

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 5:58 pm

If I end up with a low quality digipak like that Journey one (very sad to hear about that one), or if the booklet doesn't have the original artwork, I scan the front cover and print my own insert. I also scan the back cover with all digi's and create my own traycard for a jewel case. By the time I'm done, you'd never know it had been a digipak release. It's a lot of work, though.

As for Retroactive Records...
Well, I'm not surprised that they aren't doing anything about that problem... not exactly the best record label out there. Those who know about my experience with them will understand this comment....

-------------
Back to top Go down
Thomas

Thomas

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 4:08 pm

MikeInFla wrote:
(in regard to Journey "Eclipse")
Paper thin. It has a booklet stuffed inside there but it feels VERY cheaply made. The disc just slides in and out and will easily fall out.
Yeah, I totally see what you mean!
I finally picked that one up. It's not even a digi! It's just a glorified cardboard slip cover!
How cheap! I can't understand why they would cheap out so badly on a Journey album! I mean come on, it's not like Journey is POPULAR or something, right? Razz
Definitely a rip-off.
But I don't mind too much... I got it for $5.
At least the booklet has the proper artwork on it! And it looks great in a jewel case.
I'll just scan the back and make my own traycard for it.
Do you want a copy of the traycard, MikeInFla?

----------
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 5:48 pm

Only $5? I wouldn't mind the digis so bad if there was a serious price break on them.

Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 9:55 pm

Thomas wrote:
MikeInFla wrote:
(in regard to Journey "Eclipse")
Yeah, I totally see what you mean!
I finally picked that one up. It's not even a digi! It's just a glorified cardboard slip cover!
How cheap! I can't understand why they would cheap out so badly on a Journey album! I mean come on, it's not like Journey is POPULAR or something, right? Razz
Definitely a rip-off.
But I don't mind too much... I got it for $5.
At least the booklet has the proper artwork on it! And it looks great in a jewel case.
I'll just scan the back and make my own traycard for it.
Do you want a copy of the traycard, MikeInFla?

----------

yeah, a back tray would be very cool!
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 9:56 pm

I think I paid 11.88 for Journey. Got it when it came out. Dont listen to it much. It's a good disc but I like Revelations better.
Back to top Go down
Thomas

Thomas

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 10:04 pm

I like "Revelation", but "Eclipse" sounds kinda fresh to me... got a little more energy than their past few albums. I'm liking it a lot so far, but I've only had time to play it through once so far.

Shoot me your email address and I'll send you the jpg file for the traycard once I've got it done. Or if you want, send me your mailing address and I'll print one out for you. I do high quality short-run duplication, so it'll be an absolutely beautiful print.

$5: Yeah, it was on sale at WalMart. Regular price is $10, so I was quite happy about getting it at half price.

--------------
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 2:27 am

PM sent. I like Eclipse OK, but I like the last one better. Neal really shines on this one. I know Jonathan objected to the guitar driven sound at first and wanted a more classic Journey sound.

Not sure how Journey works but I think they have to ultimately agree when releasing albums. I know Steve Perry has some say in the stuff he was on. Probably not so much in the new releases.

I heard Jonathan wanted the singer from "Frontiers" to be the singer but Neal objected so they chose Arnel. Neal thought the guy in Frontiers sounded too much like Steve.

Anyway, glad they are still making music.
Back to top Go down
Thomas

Thomas

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 3:14 am

Yep, I'm glad they're still going too.
But I'm confused about your post - Steve Perry was the lead vocalist on "Frontiers" (one of my fav Journey albums)

Steve Augeri was the guy who sounded A LOT like Steve Perry (basically the same voice, just smoother than Perry). He sang on "Arrival" and "Generations", and then had to leave the band because of a throat infection. From what I understand, he had sung in a Journey cover band before, only performing once in a while, and his throat basically just couldn't keep up with the rigors of doing five shows a week. Journey had hired him BECAUSE he sounded so much like Steve Perry.

As far as having "a more classic Journey sound"... Hmmm... I'll have to listen to "Eclipse" a few more times and compare it with "Revelation" before I can really make a judgement on that.
But basically, if Neale Schon is in the band, then it IS Journey, since he is the only remaining founding member! Smile

Anyway, I'll check your PM...

-----------
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 5:59 am

I guess I did cause some confusion. I was referring to this guy:

www.journeytributeband.com/

The singer in that band, Frontiers, a Journey tribute band, was considered to replace Steve Augeri.
Back to top Go down
Thomas

Thomas

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 7:21 pm

Ahhh! *lightbulb comes on* Now I get it! Smile

I'm in a hurry right now, but I'll check 'em out later.

-----------
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jewel cases or digipacks poll.
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next