Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Jewel cases or digipacks poll.

Go down 
+8
Fundy
Dynamis
MikeInFla
alldatndensum
Staybrite
Guilty/Forgiven
Driven
rockerVu2
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Digipacks or jewel cases?
I like digipacks
Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 3 I_vote_lcap0%Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 3 I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
I really don't like them
Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 3 I_vote_lcap15%Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 3 I_vote_rcap
 15% [ 3 ]
I like jewel cases
Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 3 I_vote_lcap65%Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 3 I_vote_rcap
 65% [ 13 ]
I really don't like them
Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 3 I_vote_lcap0%Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 3 I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Other option
Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 3 I_vote_lcap20%Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 3 I_vote_rcap
 20% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 20

AuthorMessage
Thomas

Thomas

Number of posts : 574
Registration date : 2007-05-20

Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 12:02 am

OK, listening to their live stuff right now.
Ummm....

OK, he SOUNDS LIKE Perry, but he's nowhere NEAR as strong, and he has trouble staying in key live.

I've watched the live DVD from the "Revelation" album a few times, and I've got to say that Arnel Pineda is WAAAAAYYYY better live! Personally, I'm glad they went with him.

--------------
Back to top Go down
http://www.unforsaken.ca
Thomas

Thomas

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 3:29 pm

Here we go again...
Yet ANOTHER CD I want...
But I'm hesitating because it's a digi.
This is getting really annoying!!!

I want to pick up the new(ish) John Elefante / Mastedon CD, "Revolution Of Mind", but I just found out that it's YET ANOTHER digipak release.

Does anyone know if this one is available as a jewel case release? Maybe the European version? (same album, but released under the title "3")

------------
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3123
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 10:04 pm

Just preordered Saint - Desperate Night. I am not sure but I think it will be another digipack.
Back to top Go down
Thomas

Thomas

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 12:31 am

Is it on Retroactive? If so, then yes, it will be a digi. But please let us know.

So, does anyone know about Elefante / Mastedon?

-----------
Back to top Go down
Joe C

Joe C

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 12:38 am

MikeInFla wrote:
Just preordered Saint - Desperate Night. I am not sure but I think it will be another digipack.

I can't understand why Retroactive continues to release digipaks. They have had so many problems with them that it has gotten to the point of hurting sales. I remember Richard Lynch of Saint mentioning that he contacted the manufacture to ensure that The Revelation digi would not have the same problem as the Saint originals.
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 12:44 am

Does The Revelation fall out when you open it? I never bought the physical CD, I bought the downloads from Rich back when he released them as digital files.
Back to top Go down
Joe C

Joe C

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 12:46 am

MikeInFla wrote:
Does The Revelation fall out when you open it? I never bought the physical CD, I bought the downloads from Rich back when he released them as digital files.

No it does not.
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 12:55 am

Maybe Desperate Night will be the same way then, let's hope it doesn't fall out. Time's End got so bad when I kept opening it up that I decided to just put it on my iPod and be done with it and filed it away.

Oh, and yes, it will be a Retroactive Release. The only recent purchase I have made from them that is not a digipack was Ultimatum's Lex Metalis. That was in a regular Jewel Case. Rex Carroll's and King James I do not have on CD but ordered them as a download from the RetroActive site for $7.99 (and the site needs to be majorly updated as they don't have any of the new releases listed on it).
Back to top Go down
Thomas

Thomas

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 1:19 pm

Joe C wrote:
I can't understand why Retroactive continues to release digipaks. They have had so many problems with them that it has gotten to the point of hurting sales.
It's because Matt Hunt BELIEVES for some reason that I can't figure out that digi's are actually better!
When I was signed with him, before he screwed me over, he wanted to release the Incarnate CD as digi. I said no way!

Quote :
...it has gotten to the point of hurting sales...
Dude, there are a LOT of things that Matt is doing that are hurting sales. I'm surprised all these bands keep signing with him.

Quote :
I remember Richard Lynch of Saint mentioning
that he contacted the manufacture to ensure that The Revelation digi
would not have the same problem...
I don't understand this. If he knows that there are so many problems with Retroactive releases, so much so that he has to contact the manufacturer himself, then why does he keep signing with Retroactive???

---------
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16573
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 8:37 am

I wonder if the CDs packed in a digipack are the cheaper produced CDs and CDs packed in a jewel case are the CDs with a higher budget?
Back to top Go down
Thomas

Thomas

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 1:40 pm

rockerVu2 wrote:
I wonder if the CDs packed in a digipack are the cheaper produced CDs
and CDs packed in a jewel case are the CDs with a higher budget?
That's definitely my impression. But I really can't see that Journey would have SUCH a low budget!

-----------
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16573
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 4:48 pm

I'm not so familiar with Journey.

I wonder how you feel when you payed $$ to a band to make it possible to release the CD and when the CD is released you see it's a digipack insted of a jewel case.
Back to top Go down
Thomas

Thomas

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 3:36 am

Me, I'd be pretty ticked.

---

As for Journey, they are one of my favourite secular rock bands. They have been going since the early to mid '70s, and they are pretty much just as popular today as they were in the '80s. So why they need to release such a CHEAP CD is beyond me.

--------
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23483
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 7:57 am

I doubt the band had much to do with it. Are they still signed to the deal with Walmart as Kiss is? If so, it is probably a mixture of the corp. wanting to reduce overhead as much as possible seeing that most sales of that product will be digital downloads and some sort of "carbon imprint" reduction by doing away with plastics. That's the way the shirts at the top think these days.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 11:20 am

OK, let's say digipacks are ALL there are. if I had to buy something in a digipack I would choose The Beatles Remasters. These are finely done, I have several of them. While I would prefer a jewel case these are done like vinyl. Meaning that while IT IS carboard, they are very glossy and thick like old LP jackets. I've seen no others like them. So while it is still a digipack, therefore inferior, I would choose this packaging over any other digipack I have seen.
Back to top Go down
Thomas

Thomas

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 11:39 am

Hmmm... that sounds pretty cool, making them like the original vinyl releases! That will really appeal to the more nostalgic listeners. I'm still glad I got them all BEFORE digi's came in, though.

And yes, I am presuming that Journey's releases are still being dictated by WalMart. Bad move there, as far as I'm concerned. I mean come on, one of the most popular bands ever, and they're signed to a deal that allows a store known for let's just say less-than-great quality to dictate what format their releases will take??? Does anybody else see a problem with that???

--------
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 12:17 pm

The Eagles, AC/DC, Bryan Adams, Journey, Foreigner and at one time Loverboy was on the WalMart label. Oh and Kiss. Loverboy and Bryan Adams were in jewel cases not digipacks. As far as I know both are no longer available. At least I don't see them in the store anymore.
Back to top Go down
Thomas

Thomas

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 12:56 pm

Our WalMart's music selection is pretty pathetic. I was lucky to get that Journey "Eclipse" at $5!
Smile
I pick up a CD at WalMart once in a blue moon, but I have had much better luck finding what I'm after at HMV... and their stock is ALL jewel case releases!

Yeah, there's a question for you... if digi's really are more popular, as the industry wants us to believe, then why are all the CDs at HMV jewel cases and not digi's? I guess HMV doesn't want to be popular, huh?
Razz

-----------
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23483
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 7:02 pm

Never heard of an HMV. The only music stores other than Walmart locally are Target and Best Buy. All the music stores around Nashville, including used CD stores, are pretty much gone.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Thomas

Thomas

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 11:13 pm

OUCH! I feel for ya, man! Not that we have a GREAT selection here in Peterborough, but I have been able to increase my music collection considerably over the past few years.

Well, my secular collection, anyway... not a whole lot of Christian stuff around here at all. I pretty much rely on eBay for that. Got a GREAT seller I go to regularly.

So, is HMV Canadian only? I thought it was American originally, since it was started by RCA. ("HMV" = "his master's voice", which is what the dog in the old RCA Victor logo is hearing in the speaker)

Or is RCA actually a Canadian company? I really have no idea... I'm just surprised that you haven't heard of HMV.

You DO have McDonald's in the U.S., right?
Razz

-----------
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 7:44 am

Thomas wrote:
You DO have McDonald's in the U.S., right?
Razz

-----------

Well, where do they not have it? I bet there's one in Equatorial Guinea Razz

(sure enough, there is!)

While there's virtually no Christian rock available up here, I sometimes manage to find rare stuff in pawnshops or in the thrift shop I volunteer in. Best find I ever had was the Intense copy of Angelica - Walkin' In Faith. Cost less than $2. Razz
Back to top Go down
Thomas

Thomas

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2012 2:03 am

Nice catch on that Angelica disc, dude!!!
Or, at that price, was it a cassette?

As for McDonald's...
I KNOW they don't have one in Antarctica!
Very Happy

-------------
Back to top Go down
Timshell64

Timshell64

Number of posts : 492
Registration date : 2011-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2012 8:22 am

Before I went to school for Surgery Technology, I worked at a manufacturing plant that made digi's. As a matter of fact they were a big influence on the creation of double albums packaging creation when lps where big.

Digis are coming on because they are cheaper and have less of an impact on the environment due to lack of plastic involved. I know we went thru many diffrent types for testing. Some with the hub and some with slots for the cd to slid in. It is all about money, making it for less and more profit. As packaging goes it usually has nothing to do with the cd manufacturing side.

It would not surprise me if eventually the music industry gets away from cds all together. Digital is the new standard. I can see even at concerts bands selling you a thumb drive with digital music on it, or direct download to your device or phone.

I know it is not as nice as a cd with the liner notes and lyrics and stuff, but even newer cds do not have the lyrics.

My 2 cents folks!!
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2012 9:25 am

Thomas wrote:
Nice catch on that Angelica disc, dude!!!
Or, at that price, was it a cassette?
-------------

A disc. It was used but in good shape. Plays alright. I think it might come from one of Dennis's gigs around here… hmm, maybe the donor has more! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Thomas

Thomas

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2012 10:48 am

Timshell64 wrote:
Before I went to school for Surgery Technology, I worked at a manufacturing plant that made digi's.
So there you have it, folks... we now know who to blame for the digi phenomenon!
lol!

Quote :
...even newer cds do not have the lyrics.
I'll have to disagree with that part. I have purchased a lot of new CDs in the past year, and they all have the lyrics in the inserts.

Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 3 676823 to everything else you said, though.

--------
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jewel cases or digipacks poll.   Jewel cases or digipacks poll. - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jewel cases or digipacks poll.
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3