For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 Home Renovation Work

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dynamis

avatar

Number of posts : 1476
Localisation : Arizona
Registration date : 2007-04-28

PostSubject: Home Renovation Work   Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:35 am

Has anyone here at CHM recently completed any home renovation projects?  The reason I am asking is that I am about to take the plunge...

My house was purchased seven years ago, and while it is not a 'fixer upper' I knew it needed some work, which I kept procrastinating and putting off.  So earlier this week did some research on Angie's List and got in touch with a business that specializes in flooring, etc.  Had a contractor show up, who provided a reasonable estimate to get new marble tile installed along with baseboards, trim and molding.

The problem, of course, is that I need to get everything boxed up and out of the way before the work can begin.  The work is overwhelming when factoring not just the ton of books and CD's that need to go into boxes but also that I have a 2000+ sports memorabilia collection to get out of the way as well.  So this might take some time...

Imagine boxing up all your possessions, moving out of your house for a week, returning and then taking everything out of boxes again.  Of course, over the long term it is going to be worth all the time and effort once the project is complete.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelicwarlord.com/
Xid

avatar

Number of posts : 3268
Age : 48
Localisation : Kalispell, MT
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Home Renovation Work   Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:43 am

The process is going to stink but you're right, in the end it will be worth it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.derekclose.com
Staybrite

avatar

Number of posts : 18276
Age : 50
Localisation : Seattle
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Home Renovation Work   Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:49 am

I have done a few minor things myself (trim work, installing a security screen door, installing new screens for the windows etc.)  But I have just hired out the tougher stuff like carpets and new vinyl floor, concrete patio.
This summer I need to tackle residing part of my house.  It's not fun, but rewarding when you are done.

_________________
"I used to be indecisive.......... Now I'm not sure."
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

avatar

Number of posts : 1749
Age : 46
Localisation : Panama City, FL
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Home Renovation Work   Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:48 pm

About 12 years ago I installed new vinyl windows on the front of the house (meaning I didn't do the whole house, just the part you can see from the street). It was a nightmare because I had never done it, however by the time I got to the last window I was pretty good at it. When we did the rest of the house I paid a professional to do it and it looks  better than what I did and we are happy with the results.

10 years ago we pulled up the carpet in the living room and put down pergo flooring (looks like hardwood). It is very nice but it was also stressful to do and I would never do it myself again. 6 months later we paid a flooring company to pull up the linoleium in the kitchen and dining room and replace with porcelain tile. While they were at it we had them pull up the carpet and put more hardwood laminate in the hallway and replace the carpet in the bedrooms. We still wanted carpet in the bedrooms because of kids and the possibility of them falling down and hard floors are cold in the winter. So we had new carpet put down in the bedrooms but the rest of the house is either porcelain tile or hardwood laminate. 

2 years ago we had the aluminum siding removed and put stucco on the outside of the house

Before:



After:


On the far left see that white well pump sticking out? We also replaced early 2014 and now have a well pump for the yard (the house is on city water but now we can water the yard as much as we want for free).

I had 2 contractors bid on the stucco. First one was over $10,000 the second was about $6500. I should have gone with the $10,000. Don't get me wrong because it is pretty good but the guy charging $10 grand would have been done in a week or less. The guy charging $6500 started in Sept and finished in December!


Last edited by MikeInFla on Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

avatar

Number of posts : 1749
Age : 46
Localisation : Panama City, FL
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Home Renovation Work   Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:51 pm

Oh yeah, forgot to tell you. We moved the stuff while they were there! We had them do the tile and carpet in sections. So we moved stuff into each room as one became complete. Didn't box up anything but it was still a pain. Just moved the fridge to the dining room until the kitchen was done then when the kitchen was done we moved it back. I had them put carpet in the 2 kids bedrooms first. I moved their stuff into our room (the best I could) then put the beds back up and moved ours into theirs. So if you can find one to work in sections you dont have to box up the whole house.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

avatar

Number of posts : 18276
Age : 50
Localisation : Seattle
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Home Renovation Work   Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:33 pm

I am needing to replace some of my windows and cringe at the thought of trying to do it myself.  Will probably have it done, but I heard it can be expensive.
Also hoping to install laminate flooring myself (probably next year).  I have heard it isn't all that bad, but we need to do around 800 square ft of it.

_________________
"I used to be indecisive.......... Now I'm not sure."
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

avatar

Number of posts : 1616
Age : 46
Localisation : in a yellow submarine
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Home Renovation Work   Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:13 am

We recently had a houseful of windows replaced (20) and last summer I replaced the hideous shag carpet in my oldest son's room with laminate flooring.  Pretty easy job except for the areas around the doors.  This summer I plan to take down the textured ceilings in the master and main bathrooms and get rid of some ugly wallpaper.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 18247
Age : 48
Localisation : Tennessee
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Home Renovation Work   Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:55 am

Back around '95, we had the asbestos tile siding that came on the house back in the 1950s removed and replaced it with stainless steel seemless siding.  It is coated with a poly overlay but is guaranteed to never fade.  Your lawn mower won't throw a rock and bust it.  If the neighbor's house burns and your siding melts, it is guaranteed.  The company that sold it is still around and gives a lifetime transferrable warranty.  If we sell the house, the next owners have the same guarantee.  It was expensive, but it has been worth it.

_________________




I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
bassdude

avatar

Number of posts : 419
Age : 46
Localisation : Hannibal, MO
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Home Renovation Work   Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:08 pm

We just had the large bay window in our dining room replaced....plans are in the works to do the kitchen and the living room as soon as we can save up the money to do those....I also need to do siding and gutters at some point.
I'm in the process of tearing down an old garage at the back of my property at the moment....making room for a new storage shed.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

avatar

Number of posts : 14729
Age : 88
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Home Renovation Work   Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:06 pm

We've recplaced the double windows of the living room.
I would love to have double glass windows upstairs too.
The outside of the house need some paint.

Yep -- a house is always keeping you busy.
Back to top Go down
metaldude

avatar

Number of posts : 790
Age : 51
Localisation : Texas
Registration date : 2014-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Home Renovation Work   Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:48 pm

I've done a few. I removed a kitchen cabinet and installed a dishwasher and garbage disposal, including electrical circuits and switches to accomodate the equipment. I converted a playroom into a bedroom, removing the walls to the studs, rewiring power and cable, then putting new sheetrock, paint(my wife, not me, I'm a horrible painter) and trim. This year, I started the bathroom. I tore out the walls around the tub/shower and installed a new surround then trimmed it with mosaic tile and new fixtures. Next year will be the bathroom floor, new vanity and commode. If all goes well, the kitchen floor, too.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 18247
Age : 48
Localisation : Tennessee
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Home Renovation Work   Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:21 am

I have several projects like this that I would want to do, but it is just so overwhelming that it doesn't get done.  Also, I hate paying other people for work I SHOULD be able to do.  However, my insecurities keep me from trying.

_________________




I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

avatar

Number of posts : 18276
Age : 50
Localisation : Seattle
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Home Renovation Work   Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:58 am

alldatndensum wrote:
I have several projects like this that I would want to do, but it is just so overwhelming that it doesn't get done.  Also, I hate paying other people for work I SHOULD be able to do.  However, my insecurities keep me from trying.

I have the same problem.  I am going to reside part of the back of my house this summer.  I have only done it once before (and it was only a smal pump house).  So hoping it doesn't turn out all crooked!  I would love to replace my own windows but I fear it will end up being more than I can handle.

_________________
"I used to be indecisive.......... Now I'm not sure."
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

avatar

Number of posts : 1749
Age : 46
Localisation : Panama City, FL
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Home Renovation Work   Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:29 pm

Staybrite wrote:
alldatndensum wrote:
I have several projects like this that I would want to do, but it is just so overwhelming that it doesn't get done.  Also, I hate paying other people for work I SHOULD be able to do.  However, my insecurities keep me from trying.

I have the same problem.  I am going to reside part of the back of my house this summer.  I have only done it once before (and it was only a smal pump house).  So hoping it doesn't turn out all crooked!  I would love to replace my own windows but I fear it will end up being more than I can handle.

If I had to do windows over I would not have done it myself. I ended up saving about $1,200 by doing it myself but I had no idea what I was doing and I am not certain I even did it right. However, as soon as I got the last double window installed I felt pretty good about it. And we did notice a huge difference in sound (lack of outside noise) once the windows were installed and they didn't "sweat" like aluminum windows. I only did the front windows. Later on we did the rest of the house and it was around $2000-2500 to get those remaining windows put in (I don't remember the exact amount but if I had done those myself I would have saved another $1,200). Basically you pay more for installation than the actual windows. And the professionally done windows look better. I don't recommend you try it yourself if you don't know much about it. Initially Lowe's was supposed to do it so they came out and measured and ordered the windows. They only had one installer and he ended up having some health issues (he also installed our front storm door and some inside bedroom doors). He was a very, very nice man and had A+ quality work. He reminded me of Si on Duck Dynasty (I think that is who I am thinking of, I have never seen that show). He was an older gentleman with a long white beard and did a great job. Never did find out what happened to him, we had to reschedule 3-4 times and the last time they said his son was going to do it. I assume he may have  had a stroke or something. Then the final time no one showed up and I called Lowe's and they told me they had no one to do my windows. I almost returned the windows and said forget it but decided to go pick them up and try it myself. I'm just glad it is part of my past Smile
Back to top Go down
Xid

avatar

Number of posts : 3268
Age : 48
Localisation : Kalispell, MT
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Home Renovation Work   Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:13 pm

I'd rather pay the extra to have somebody else do it and do it right.  I subscribe to the Tim Taylor methodology for home improvement:  Measure twice, cut yourself.
Back to top Go down
http://www.derekclose.com
Staybrite

avatar

Number of posts : 18276
Age : 50
Localisation : Seattle
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Home Renovation Work   Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:37 pm

MikeInFla wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
alldatndensum wrote:
I have several projects like this that I would want to do, but it is just so overwhelming that it doesn't get done.  Also, I hate paying other people for work I SHOULD be able to do.  However, my insecurities keep me from trying.

I have the same problem.  I am going to reside part of the back of my house this summer.  I have only done it once before (and it was only a smal pump house).  So hoping it doesn't turn out all crooked!  I would love to replace my own windows but I fear it will end up being more than I can handle.

If I had to do windows over I would not have done it myself. I ended up saving about $1,200 by doing it myself but I had no idea what I was doing and I am not certain I even did it right. However, as soon as I got the last double window installed I felt pretty good about it. And we did notice a huge difference in sound (lack of outside noise) once the windows were installed and they didn't "sweat" like aluminum windows. I only did the front windows. Later on we did the rest of the house and it was around $2000-2500 to get those remaining windows put in (I don't remember the exact amount but if I had done those myself I would have saved another $1,200). Basically you pay more for installation than the actual windows. And the professionally done windows look better. I don't recommend you try it yourself if you don't know much about it. Initially Lowe's was supposed to do it so they came out and measured and ordered the windows. They only had one installer and he ended up having some health issues (he also installed our front storm door and some inside bedroom doors). He was a very, very nice man and had A+ quality work. He reminded me of Si on Duck Dynasty (I think that is who I am thinking of, I have never seen that show). He was an older gentleman with a long white beard and did a great job. Never did find out what happened to him, we had to reschedule 3-4 times and the last time they said his son was going to do it. I assume he may have  had a stroke or something. Then the final time no one showed up and I called Lowe's and they told me they had no one to do my windows. I almost returned the windows and said forget it but decided to go pick them up and try it myself. I'm just glad it is part of my past Smile

Ok, that clinces it.  I won't be doing the windows myself.
I installed a security screen door and it nearly caused me to have a breakdown.  Followed the instructions to a "t" and it still didn't work right.  Had to "adjust" the frame with a sledge hammer to get it to close properly.

_________________
"I used to be indecisive.......... Now I'm not sure."
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

avatar

Number of posts : 18276
Age : 50
Localisation : Seattle
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Home Renovation Work   Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:37 pm

Xid wrote:
I'd rather pay the extra to have somebody else do it and do it right.  I subscribe to the Tim Taylor methodology for home improvement:  Measure twice, cut yourself.

lol!

_________________
"I used to be indecisive.......... Now I'm not sure."
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

avatar

Number of posts : 1749
Age : 46
Localisation : Panama City, FL
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Home Renovation Work   Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:30 pm

One of the hardest things is installing a double window. Basically they are single windows that slide into a vinyl spacer that holds them together. Although it doesn't hold them together until they are installed!! When you pick them up one will slide out of the spacer and they become uneven. Something I will never do again.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit



Number of posts : 2958
Localisation : Indiana
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Oh yeah!   Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:37 am

I totally gutted my entire house to the studs (upper floor first then main floor) and redid everything myself (except the gas line to the new furnace I installed). All electrical, plumbing, drywall, painting, ductwork, flooring, etc was done by me (with a second set of hands as req'd). I only put in laminate and vinyl flooring though as I knew we didn't want carpet and tile is a big mess I didn't want to get into but our kitchen vinyl looks like nice tile. The roof had already been done and we had replacement windows right after we moved in many years ago, but I moved several of those to either larger or smaller holes. Also added an exterior door. Moved both bathrooms from where they were, added supporting headers for sagging upper floors, took out 2 chimneys, etc. LOTS of work involved and took me a while, but I can guarantee that any person that's been inside since doesn't recognize the house.

I still need to do siding (to remove all the flashing I needed for the windows I moved), but may hire that out some day because of the height involved.

_________________
"If you are not concerned about your neighbor's salvation,
you should be concerned about your own."
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

avatar

Number of posts : 18276
Age : 50
Localisation : Seattle
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Home Renovation Work   Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:48 am

topshot rhit wrote:
I totally gutted my entire house to the studs (upper floor first then main floor) and redid everything myself (except the gas line to the new furnace I installed). All electrical, plumbing, drywall, painting, ductwork, flooring, etc was done by me (with a second set of hands as req'd). I only put in laminate and vinyl flooring though as I knew we didn't want carpet and tile is a big mess I didn't want to get into but our kitchen vinyl looks like nice tile. The roof had already been done and we had replacement windows right after we moved in many years ago, but I moved several of those to either larger or smaller holes. Also added an exterior door. Moved both bathrooms from where they were, added supporting headers for sagging upper floors, took out 2 chimneys, etc. LOTS of work involved and took me a while, but I can guarantee that any person that's been inside since doesn't recognize the house.

I still need to do siding (to remove all the flashing I needed for the windows I moved), but may hire that out some day because of the height involved.


I remember watching your progress on facebook.  It was a herculean task you undertook, but the results were great.

_________________
"I used to be indecisive.......... Now I'm not sure."
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit



Number of posts : 2958
Localisation : Indiana
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Home Renovation Work   Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:34 am

I never have shown "after" pictures (or even "before" for that matter). Maybe someday. Just ones of the destruction and a few progress shots. What a Face

_________________
"If you are not concerned about your neighbor's salvation,
you should be concerned about your own."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Home Renovation Work   

Back to top Go down
 
Home Renovation Work
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Working From Home
» Session Work has Been Disappearing - a Sign
» home...sick...bored...
» Tell us about your home town
» Paul Alan-Drive it Home

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: Warped Drive - General Discussion-
Jump to: