Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Random Ramblings

Go down 
+15
Guilty/Forgiven
messiaen77
BearDad
rockerVu2
xenonlion
Oldiesmann
Driven
Hardkore
Xid
kerrick
Through The Dark Radio
Staybrite
ishmael81
MikeInFla
alldatndensum
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9954
Registration date : 2007-05-18

Random Ramblings - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 24 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 09, 2017 9:47 pm

If you got more than 2 years, you went beyond the average life expectancy of most laptops. 8 years is unheard of.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23467
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 24 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 10, 2017 7:52 am

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
If you got more than 2 years, you went beyond the average life expectancy of most laptops. 8 years is unheard of.

If you keep one clean both from viruses/malware and keep it stored in a bag so it stays free from dust, they will last.

I honestly think that upgrading it to Windows 10 is what did it in.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 24 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 10, 2017 10:16 am

Windows 10 is the antichrist of OS's.

I did everything I could think of to keep all my computers clean and in good shape, yet even the most expensive one I bought only lasted 4 years. Now that doesn't mean I trash them when they kick the bucket, some I did work on and replaced hard drives and such. But I once read in PC World back in the mid 2000s that the average hard drive only has a lifespan of 2 years. And I believe it.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 24 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 10, 2017 10:57 am

We have one laptop that is getting closer to 12 years old that still works.  It is old and slow, but my wife uses it mostly with her camera and viewing/mild editing of photos she has taken.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5516
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 24 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 10, 2017 12:42 pm

I've had my work PC for 4 years, no issues.  My home PC is several years old, too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5324
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 24 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 10, 2017 3:52 pm

I have a laptop that is about 10 - 14 years old and runs okay.  I just use it for typing and nothing else.  The battery is dead though, so I have to plug it in every time I use it... oh, and it weighs a ton!

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 24 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 11, 2017 6:27 am

I think the lifespan of computers is more a measure of how long until they become too slow or incompatible with software.  Our house is a computer retirement home (hot really a graveyard because most of them still work).  In the past 20 years or so, we've only had one laptop display become unusable and one laptop overheat and fry the hard drive (a design flaw in the early Gateway slims).  All of our other upgrades have come because they became too slow to do the work we needed them to do.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 24 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 11, 2017 10:06 am

I just ordered new checks.  I have some cool Star Trek designs.  However, I am switching things up and getting wild this time by purchasing Star Wars checks.  Yes, I am just that cool.  It isn't easy being me!

Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 24 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 11, 2017 10:40 am

alldatndensum wrote:
I just ordered new checks.  I have some cool Star Trek designs.  However, I am switching things up and getting wild this time by purchasing Star Wars checks.  Yes, I am just that cool.  It isn't easy being me!

Star Wars? That's the live long and prosper guy, right?
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 24 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 11, 2017 3:42 pm

My laptop is a 2010 MacBook Pro and shows no signs of giving up. My brother, who owned it before me, swapped in an SSD as the main drive, for speed and reliability, and added a larger HDD as a storage drive. This came at the cost of the DVD drive, but I borrowed my brother's external drive to make up for it. My old 2008 MBP still lives, although it's decrepit, for recording sermon audio at my brother's church.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 24 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 11, 2017 9:55 pm

Two nights of Vacation Bible School down and 3 to go!  I love doing the music with the kids, but this year I definitely am feeling older.  I am sore tonight from all the hand motions and even footwork with the kids.  I try to come in with 110% energy for the kids so that they will want to come back each night to learn about Jesus. 

My wife and I LOVE VBS!!!!  She has been our VBS director at church now for three years.  I've been doing the music for 7.  I used to do games and have even taught a class or two.  I'd rather be doing the music.

Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 24 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 12, 2017 2:41 am

Quote :
I think the lifespan of computers is more a measure of how long until they become too slow or incompatible with software.  

This !
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16567
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 24 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 12, 2017 7:18 am

It's cool to do VBS.
What's the theme of the VBS this year?
I remember from years ago there was a theme.
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 24 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 12, 2017 9:28 am

alldatndensum wrote:
Two nights of Vacation Bible School down and 3 to go!  I love doing the music with the kids, but this year I definitely am feeling older.  I am sore tonight from all the hand motions and even footwork with the kids.  I try to come in with 110% energy for the kids so that they will want to come back each night to learn about Jesus. 

My wife and I LOVE VBS!!!!  She has been our VBS director at church now for three years.  I've been doing the music for 7.  I used to do games and have even taught a class or two.  I'd rather be doing the music.
Our VBS was about a month ago.  It was great but odd.  Our children's pastor's husband took another job in San Diego so she stepped down at the end of April, leaving our interim children's pastor (who had never led VBS before) to handle it at that point.  There didn't seem to be a whole lot of communication between the two of them about this, so there was a lot that fell through the cracks.  Still, it was great.  I've been a crew leader for my kids' groups for the past several years.  I started doing my older kid's group a couple of years ago because there was a set of triplets there that were nearly the spawn of Satan and I was able to handle them.  They left our church last year, but their mom was still committed to lead a station so they still came.  That changed this year, so I think next year I'm going to do a station or music or something different.  The interim had suggested that she was going to suggest to the new director of children's ministries that she should recruit me to be director next year, so maybe that's what I'll be doing.  Who knows.  VBS is super important to me because I came to Christ at VBS about 37 years ago.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 24 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 12, 2017 12:02 pm

That's cool!

I do not want the burden of being the director.  I'll help in any way that I can, but I hate the planning stages.  My wife loves shopping through the different curriculum out there, picking the theme based on the music and Bible stories, and shopping for decorations & craft ideas.  She's learned where to buy so that we don't hit the ceiling of our VBS budget yet still manages to make things run smoothly and look awesome.  I put pictures of our decorations on Facebook last night if you want to see.  Our VBS stuff came from Cokesbury this year and has a super hero theme.

We usually try to stay away from Lifeway with their VBS stuff.  Oh, we have nothing against it.  It is just that so many churches around here will do that one.  We try to use something different just to attract different kids.  I know that many families will send their kids to VBS at different churches just to get a couple of hours away from the children, and they will pick a church that is doing something that the kids haven't done already.  Thus, we stay away from Lifeway.

Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 24 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 14, 2017 9:28 pm

I survived VBS!!!

I've sang all the songs and taught them to the kids!  I am the big dorky fun guy who does all the hand motions and dance moves with them.  I even let them get up on the stage and they love it!

We feed all the kids every night so mom's don't have to.  I asked for volunteers to say the blessing before we ate.  I bribed them with a free fidget spinner!  I got me some pray-ers!

I am exhausted, but I loved every minute.  I am sad that it is over.

That won't last long because I am off to church camp with the kids next week.  That's a youth pastor's life!

Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 24 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 14, 2017 10:01 pm

I'm glad you enjoyed doing VBS. It sounds like you had a good programme and did it well to boot. I know I probably never could do VBS and enjoy it.

Had a work party today. It was ok, but I left not too long in. Most people were already talking to each other, as they've been working together for a while, and I felt kind of left out by default - not by a conscious exclusion, but after a while I had no one to talk to, and even less energy to talk. I ended up leaving and going to a café down the road where one of my friends works, and invited my girlfriend to come visit at the café. That was much more fun.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 24 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 16, 2017 5:15 pm

Quote :
I'm glad you enjoyed doing VBS. It sounds like you had a good programme and did it well to boot. I know I probably never could do VBS and enjoy it.

I loved VBS when I was a child!  I can remember that one lady who came and picked us up to take to her church for VBS had this Cadillac.....with AIR CONDITIONING.  It was the first car I ever rode in that had it.  Being poor, it was air conditioned and a CADILLAC.  It was like a VBS limo service for me.

So, first you have to love VBS whether you caught the bug as an adult or as a child.  The 2nd thing required is a love for kids which my wife and I share.  Third, and most importantly, you have to love Jesus and realize that today's children are really the front line as far as sharing your faith with them.  When our media, high school, college professors, and peer pressure get through with them, you won't get many chances in life to tell them that Jesus loves them.  VBS is an intense week where you can tell them and show them.  I love it!

I am off to church camp with the kids this week.  Hold down the fort while I am gone!

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23421
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 24 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 17, 2017 2:45 pm

My home desktop tanked this weekend.  I think it was nearly 12 years old so it probably had a decent run.  That leaves me without a computer until I can get it replaced and set up my my office tech support (probably sometime next week).

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 24 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 19, 2017 10:18 am

12 years is indeed impressive ! Was it Win XP ?
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 24 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 19, 2017 11:57 am

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
12 years is indeed impressive ! Was it Win XP ?

It actually started out as Vista, but was immediately replaced with XP....later was upgraded to Windows 7.  It was actually a computer at my office back when it was first purchased (and HP compaq model....actually in 2007....so it was only 10 years old).  Given as much work as it did I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. I'm almost certain none of the hardware was replaced in it either.

Samson

Number of posts : 734

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 24 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 19, 2017 11:13 pm

I finally got my very first set of worship flags. I'm so excited!!

Oh, and my spiritual parents are taking me to International House of Prayer in Kansas City for my 40th birthday next month. I have been waiting 5 years for this.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 24 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 20, 2017 12:13 pm

Saw that on facebook the other day, very cool.  Now you gotta get really good at it and make some videos!

Samson

Number of posts : 734

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 24 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 20, 2017 3:44 pm

I don't have a video camera. Or a smartphone. So that's not happening.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 24 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 20, 2017 4:17 pm

Ah bummer.

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 24 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Random Ramblings
Page 24 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next