Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Evans and Stokes out September 25th

Go down 
+9
KellyM
JLE3
ChristTrekker
alldatndensum
Black Rider
Xid
Staybrite
Normaniac
Jen5
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Jen5

Jen5

Number of posts : 1710
Registration date : 2017-08-01

Evans and Stokes out September 25th - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evans and Stokes out September 25th   Evans and Stokes out September 25th - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2019 8:31 pm

lol, good speech Black Rider. Unfortunately, I don't see us getting a Dove award for the Polka Killer, but stranger things have happened so who knows right. Maybe just file that speech away for future use.
What is it about 4th grade teacher's anyway? Mine was a mammoth influence on my little life. More than most others.
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Evans and Stokes out September 25th   Evans and Stokes out September 25th - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2019 11:31 am

I can't believe how well the dance moves lined up with that riff!

John and Jen...about the album...I LOVE it!!!  I think it is the strongest of the three.  I wonder if the fact that it is not a concept album makes it stronger because you aren't as locked into a musical direction as well.  Not that I don't love concept albums, but there are limits on them.  I'm going to get a full review up on my review site soon hopefully.
Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

PostSubject: Re: Evans and Stokes out September 25th   Evans and Stokes out September 25th - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2019 1:43 pm

Thanks Eric. So glad you love it.
You hit the nail on the head regarding concept albums. While I love telling a meaty story to music, there are definitely creative limitations when writing a concept album. Writing is more directed. Every day it's "okay, now what do I need to write about today?" With Children of God we could write about anything. We wrote what we were inspired to write about, not whatever story point we needed to cover. I think that comes through. That said, I do love writing to a concept. 
You have a review site? I did not know this. url please.  : )
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23449
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Evans and Stokes out September 25th   Evans and Stokes out September 25th - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2019 4:21 pm

I'm finally taking a little time to look through the lyrics/musing booklet that is a companion to the music for "Children of God" and I must say that it has some very cool stuff in it.  The layout and artwork are simply fantastic and it is great to have the complete lyrics.  Also if you are a active CHM member who purchased this album (download or cd) you owe it to yourself to get this booklet....we (the CHM) are all over this thing.  Not only does the CHM have their own paragraph in the "Thank You" section, we feature in some of the song insights too (provided after each song lyric by John & Jenny).  A very cool (and very well done) companion piece to the music of this fantastic album. 

I couldn't find any credits to whom performed what instrumentation (well with the exception of the John's extensive guitar list Laughing )...it's not that it is needed, but I'm left wondering who did the beautifully haunting violin (or is it viola) work on "Godforsaken".  And while we are at it, who does the piano intro on "The Devil's Tongue"?  I'm guessing maybe Jenny since she composed the piano for the "Garden of Eden"?

Here are some sneak peeks to the inside of the booklet.

Evans and Stokes out September 25th - Page 3 Img_2022  Evans and Stokes out September 25th - Page 3 Img_2023

Jen5

PostSubject: Re: Evans and Stokes out September 25th   Evans and Stokes out September 25th - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2019 5:07 pm

Awesome. Thank you Gary. Glad you like it.
I write most of the melody and lyrics, John writes most of the music. In terms of the music, sometimes I'll send a music fragment to John (as with Garden of Eden) that he then builds from, but for the most part, the music starts with John. In the case of The Devil's Tongue, I wrote and played the intro and John wrote and played the main body of the song. Godforsaken is, erm, a midi violin. I wanted to play the intro (have violin, will play) but I couldn't figure out how to get a good recording of it that sounded as good as or better than the programmed one. This is a limitation of being 100% indie. Sometimes the technology and engineering side of things is a barrier. 
You're hearing John on lead and rhythm guitar, and bass. He also does some of the backing vocals.
You're hearing me on the black and white and vocals.
Back to top Go down
JLE3

JLE3

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2016-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Evans and Stokes out September 25th   Evans and Stokes out September 25th - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2019 10:41 pm

Eric and Gary - Thank you guys so much for the support!!!! 

Eric - I think that this record not being one main concept (like the previous two were) also gave us more of an opportunity to be diverse with the music, not just the lyrics. 

Gary - So glad you're getting into the book! One day I saw an ad for this company where you can create books and have them printed and shipped to you for a reasonable price so we were like, why not! Lets do it! There is always a lot more to say about a song than just printing the lyrics. And trying to cram all of it into a CD jewel case seemed a bit difficult.

Back to top Go down
http://www.evansandstokes.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Evans and Stokes out September 25th   Evans and Stokes out September 25th - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2019 1:53 pm

I never would have guessed that it was a midi violin, it sounds great (especially within the context of the song).  Just another testament to how great a job you both have done on this spectacular album.

Very glad you did the booklet John,  I wish more bands would do stuff like this.  You are correct, all of that never would have fit (legibly) in a cd booklet.

Dynamis

Number of posts : 1646
Registration date : 2007-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Evans and Stokes out September 25th   Evans and Stokes out September 25th - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2019 7:52 pm

Here is the link to the 90% Angelic Warlord review: https://www.angelicwarlord.com/reviews/e/evansandstokes19.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelicwarlord.com/
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Evans and Stokes out September 25th   Evans and Stokes out September 25th - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2019 8:32 pm

Dynamis wrote:
Here is the link to the 90% Angelic Warlord review: https://www.angelicwarlord.com/reviews/e/evansandstokes19.html

Cool!

Xid

Number of posts : 5520
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Evans and Stokes out September 25th   Evans and Stokes out September 25th - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2019 10:17 pm

Congrats!
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Jen5

Jen5

PostSubject: Re: Evans and Stokes out September 25th   Evans and Stokes out September 25th - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2019 3:20 pm

Thanks so much Andy. We've had other reviews, but yours is the one we really wait for with anticipation. I like the way you look at the whole as well as the parts. Very generous. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23477
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Evans and Stokes out September 25th   Evans and Stokes out September 25th - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2019 7:10 am

I FINALLY got around to getting on the E&S bandwagon.  I ordered your 2nd and newest album.

Is there a way where you can make it where people can order multiple items without having to check out for each one?  I had to place two separate orders as the site automatically takes you to PayPal for checkout.  Then you have to order something else if you want it.  It works, but some folks will probably not buy your wares if it isn't easy.

I can't wait to listen!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
JLE3

JLE3

PostSubject: Re: Evans and Stokes out September 25th   Evans and Stokes out September 25th - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2019 11:06 am

Thank you Chris! They are on their way to you now!

Regarding the ordering process, I'm sure there is a way to do what you are suggesting. PayPal has many options. I'll have to look into that.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5520
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Evans and Stokes out September 25th   Evans and Stokes out September 25th - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2019 11:27 am

There should be a spot to make your links add to a cart before checking out.  It's been a long time since I've set one up so I don't remember the procedure.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
JLE3

JLE3

PostSubject: Re: Evans and Stokes out September 25th   Evans and Stokes out September 25th - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2019 3:29 pm

So I see that Tool is now offering a booklet to go with their new record Fear Inoculum...  Copy cats.

https://www.revolvermag.com/music/tool-release-expanded-book-edition-new-album-fear-inoculum

Theirs is $34.98 while ours is $14.99...  just sayin  Very Happy

Last edited by JLE3 on Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Evans and Stokes out September 25th   Evans and Stokes out September 25th - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2019 6:29 pm

JLE3 wrote:
So I see that TOOL is now offering a booklet to go with their new record Fear Inoculum...  Copy cats.

https://www.revolvermag.com/music/tool-release-expanded-book-edition-new-album-fear-inoculum

Theirs is $34.98 while ours is $14.99...  just sayin  Very Happy

I remember when I went to buy a live album from Doro a few years back that they had a version that came with some kind of 12"x12" book (can't seem to find it now).  The whole thing was way more money that I wanted to pay (especially for a live album...of which I'm typically not a fan).  I think I ended up purchasing the MP3 album.
So other artists are doing them, but typically as part of a larger package deal...most of which seem kinda pricey.

JLE3

PostSubject: Re: Evans and Stokes out September 25th   Evans and Stokes out September 25th - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2019 7:08 pm

I would on occasion (back in the day) at concerts buy a band's 'program'. Usually pretty expensive but always had really cool notes and photos.
Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

PostSubject: Re: Evans and Stokes out September 25th   Evans and Stokes out September 25th - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2019 7:55 pm

"Back in the day??"
"Back in the day?????"
What, are you like 80 now, John? lol
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23477
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Evans and Stokes out September 25th   Evans and Stokes out September 25th - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2019 9:04 pm

Fifty is the new 80!!!  LOL

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
JLE3

JLE3

PostSubject: Re: Evans and Stokes out September 25th   Evans and Stokes out September 25th - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2019 10:07 pm

Not so old that I yell at the punk teenagers to get off my lawn and to turn down their rock and roll music. Not that old....yet!
Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

PostSubject: Re: Evans and Stokes out September 25th   Evans and Stokes out September 25th - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2019 10:52 pm

No, you're not that old, so stop talking like you're 40-odd going on 80-odd when you're actually young enough to take on a bear with a sword! Sheesh!
Back to top Go down
JLE3

JLE3

PostSubject: Re: Evans and Stokes out September 25th   Evans and Stokes out September 25th - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2019 11:07 pm

Lol. I forgot about that.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Evans and Stokes out September 25th   Evans and Stokes out September 25th - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2019 3:40 pm

Jen5 wrote:
No, you're not that old, so stop talking like you're 40-odd going on 80-odd when you're actually young enough to take on a bear with a sword! Sheesh!

It sounds like there is either some bizarre true account, or hilariously made up story to go with that statement.

Jen5

PostSubject: Re: Evans and Stokes out September 25th   Evans and Stokes out September 25th - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2019 4:11 pm

It's all true, one look at John and the bear was outta there. In truth, the sword was just for decoration. Or comic relief. lol
Back to top Go down
JLE3

JLE3

PostSubject: Re: Evans and Stokes out September 25th   Evans and Stokes out September 25th - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2019 4:19 pm

Staybrite wrote:
Jen5 wrote:

It sounds like there is either some bizarre true account, or hilariously made up story to go with that statement.

So here is the full story...

About two years ago my son bought this ridiculous sword with his Christmas money. It was like $250 and such a dumb thing to waste his money on. I was a little disappointed in him to be honest. If you watch Games of Thrones it was a replica of Jon Snow's sword in the show (the sword named Longclaw). When the sword arrived in the mail I have to admit that I was the first one to start waving it around in the front yard (it was too big to do that in the house). So yea it's a pretty neat sword and I was a little jealous. I mean, buying a huge sword is dumb until you actually have the sword and get to wave it around in your yard like a fearless warrior...then it seems like a really good purchase. Smile

Anyway...

One day my son left the garage door open at night and a black bear came in, took a big bag of trash from our trash can, and dragged it into our backyard where he started tearing it apart. I went out to my car for something and heard this noise in the back yard. I turned on the lights and saw the bear. I then came back into the house, grabbed 'Longclaw' and went back outside. My son took a short video of me in the driveway yelling at the bear while wielding Longclaw and scaring him away.

I sent that short video clip to Jen and that's what she was referring to. So yes, it is a bizarre but true story.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Evans and Stokes out September 25th   Evans and Stokes out September 25th - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Evans and Stokes out September 25th
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next